BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/13/2009 11:08:29 AM EDT
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A 24-year-old Cheatham County man was killed Friday
morning after he accidentally touched some electrical wires with the
forklift he was operating.

The incident occurred at about 11 a.m. at Green Enterprises, located 607 Bass Street near Greer Stadium in south Nashville.
Fire officials said the victim, Brandon Walker, of Chapmansboro, was moving a large tarp when the electrical wires were hit.

"He was pulling up a tarp, and a fairly large tarp, into the dumpster
and he hit the power line," said Tom Shadwick, Acting District Chief
for the Nashville Fire Department.
Officials said Walker was electrocuted after jumping to the ground from the seat of the forklift.

"Apparently he had hit a power line and it was live and when he got on
the ground, made complete contact and [that] resulted in his death,"
Shadwick said. "There was a fire extinguisher lying on the ground
beside him and we speculate that the tires were on fire and he tried to
put that out and touched the ground in the process."
The incident knocked out power to area homes and businesses.

The Nashville Electric Service has since restored service.
Green Enterprises is a private company that provides movie props and assists in movie set production.
It is not known if Walker was an employee of the company.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Shocking.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#2]
jesus
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#3]
crispy aint he

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, the rubber tires didn't insulate him?  Or did he get fried when he stepped out?

EDITED}  Ok, that's what I get for not reading
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Fuck me. Do they not cover that type of thing in the certification? If not I guess they will now.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#7]
damn...what a way to go  
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#8]
If he had jumped clear would he have made it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Wow, the rubber tires didn't insulate him?  Or did he get fried when he stepped out?

He was insulated until he jumped out of the truck.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Never step when you should jump.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not likely.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#12]
People get careless around power lines because we see them all of the time and rarely get to witness the real power they have flowing through them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Holy shit the corpse is in the pics!
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn, the whole forklift caught fire.  What a mess.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#15]
People think I'm crazy for liking guns, playing with fire, smoking and drinking excessively at times, then laugh at me when I shy away from playing with electricity. Seems like most people are complacent with electricity nowadays, and then are shocked, pun intended, when events like this happen.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

shit, I didn't even realize that until you pointed it out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Yep.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He was insulated until he jumped out of the truck.

Rubber tires dont insulate you, the charge goes around in the metal frame around you as its resistance is much lower, then it jumps to the ground.

He made it an easier path than jumping through the air by the tires...
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not likely.

Why not?

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Rest in peace.  Prayers out to his family.  That's horrible.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If he had jumped far enough that it didn't arc to him then most likely. A couple of feet away would have probably been sufficient.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

From his mother:

"That's it!  You're grounded!"

damn that is cold

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fuck me. Do they not cover that type of thing in the certification? If not I guess they will now.

I ran those things on a job.  There was no certification.  It was like "Ok, this is how you run the lift.  Now go unload that truck."
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#26]
13.8K possibly?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ran those things on a job.  There was no certification.  It was like "Ok, this is how you run the lift.  Now go unload that truck."

Yeah, I was a little confused when someone told me they were certified to operate a forklift.

"You're telling me that there is an official process for using these things?"

It was my first introduction to the nanny state.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Lot of factors to consider.   With the resistivity of the soil he could have died even if he cleared the lift and it did not jump to him once he hit the ground.   The potential drops across surface of the ground based on distance from the source.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
13.8K possibly?

Something in that range. 12470V maybe.   Not much higher though given the insualtor size on the pole.        

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I was a little confused when someone told me they were certified to operate a forklift.

All depends on the organization...

Ranging from the safety paranoid (in the Army, one technically needs a driver's license endorsement for a GATOR (all-terrain golf cart)) to 'Hey you, jump in that fork-truck & bring me that there pallet'....

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#31]
anyone else reminded of Star Wars?

ETA:
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#32]
By the looks of it I think this is how it went down.
1. Kid hits the wires with one of the forks
2. The electricity runs through the forklift and shorts all the electrical out and the forklift stops.
3. Then the heat from the electricity may have started to melt one of the tires or the electrical in the forklift started to smoke. (so he grabbed the fire extinguisher).
4. Kid is fine still sitting in the drivers seat and notices the rear tire is smoldering or it could have been the electrical or battery in the forklift smoking so he grabs the fire extinguisher  and goes to exit the forklift.
5. As the kid goes to get off the forklift thinking its ok he has one hand on the door and jumps to the ground at the same time.
6. As soon as he makes contact with the ground and is still touching the forklift he makes the connection and a huge jolt of electricity sets everything on fire.
7. The kid is killed instantly and never feels a thing...

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Remember stuff like this when you think you are having " A bad day at work " .
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He may have been certified for the company that he worked for. Where I work people have to be "certified" to use motorized pallet jacks because several years ago a guy was using one and went to stop but instead he kept going and crashed into an elevator which promptly stopped mid-floor with some people in it.

I thought it was funny, the people in the elevator did not and management decided that people needed to be "certified" to use them. It was just a CYA thing.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Prayers for his poor family.  I hope they never see the pics.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Lack of situational awareness combined with electrcity= FUBAR

I'm sorry for him and his family but that was 100% avoidable...
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#37]
and darwin strikes again

seriously, that sucks
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Why the hell did he use a forklift to move a plastic tarp?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All depends on the organization...

Ranging from the safety paranoid (in the Army, one technically needs a driver's license endorsement for a GATOR (all-terrain golf cart)) to 'Hey you, jump in that fork-truck & bring me that there pallet'....

My introduction to heavy equipment was on a farm.

I'm sure I have some bad habits.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I bet his family really appreciates that!
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#41]
He was stupid. Unfortunately this is what brings the nanny state. He should not have even been in his seat without some training, and if he did get it, he wasn't paying attention to situation awareness. Before he even sat in that seat he should've scouted out his surroundings and planned his actions. He didn't and he died. It was his own fault.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Yes, they do. I am certified the teach classes on such equipment and I ALWAYS go over stuff such as this and MAD(Minimum approach distance). It is required in order to get your certificate, but if the morons don't listen then I can't help them IMO and its their own fault when they go zap.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Not likely.

Yes, he would have made it. Electricty follows a path to ground, he had to have been touching the lift and the ground at the same time to get zapped.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why the hell did he use a forklift to move a plastic tarp?

cause he was fuckin stupid ?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Obviously non-union.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#46]
I feel sorry for the co-worker(s) that had to see him crackling
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Holy fuck.

How could he not have seen those lines in front of him?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#48]
I have witnessed a similar event but the guy lived. I was on a roof installing a rooftop air conditioner and the crane had just set the unit and was getting his boom stowed. I first noticed the smoke and I will never forget this scene, I looked over the side of the roof and the electricty was jumping from the hubs to the ground. The smoke was from the grass catching on fire.

The crane burned to the ground, the operator jumped to safety.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Jump off that damn thing, don't put one foot down.  Basic electric 101.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#50]
looks like a Sunbelt Rental machine. So much for getting the deposit back......
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top