Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2001 8:10:42 PM EDT
I didn't want to clutter up Die-Hard's "Rally" thread by starting a little friendly interservice rivalry.  It would be a d@mn shame to put any unneeded overhead on what is without a doubt the most productive and positive thread this board has ever seen.

I didn't mean to imply that the Army or Air Force or Coast Guard personnel don't or won't help in a time of need.  It is quite evident all of the service members contribute greatly to this country and most other countries on Earth.

However, I am unaware of any soldiers or airmen contributing funds to Navy Relief in particular.

I was making a cynical remark about a "Charity" organization know as the Navy Relief Society.  I'm sure the Army, AF, and CG have similar organizations whose mission is to provide financial aid to service members and their immediate family members in a time of need or emergency.

Navy Relief has annual fund raisers that are "voluntary" but "highly encouraged by the chain of command".  If you don't want to end up on every $hit detail that comes along, you had better "donate".  Millions of dollars are collected from sailors and Marines every year and "given" to those in need.  Rarely, if ever, are the funds given without the service member being forced to make out an allotment to repay the funds back to the Society.  It is essentialy a 0% intrest loan.  I myself have received help from the Society for my wife's dental bills, but the funds were garnished from my pay over a 8 month period.  Don't get me wrong, I was gratefull for assistance!  BUT, after 15 years, 4 months, and 1 day of active duty, I NEVER knew or met ANYONE who had first hand knowledge of ANY service member that received funds or anything else(transportation tickets)without having to repay the Society.  Several of my Marines had parents and siblings pass away and found themselves unable to travel to the funeral without the assistance of the Society and/or their fellow Marines.  They ALL had to repay the Society.

So...with millions donated every year, and the vast majority of the assistance repaid to the Society, where the hell does all of the money go?????

Now...Let's get this party started!!  If you ain't a Marine or a Navy Corpsman serving with the FMF...you ain't worth a flying FVCCKKKK!!  It's true!  Just read a history book!
(This should be fun!)[}:D][pyro]
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.bcres.com/river/poster.htm
No jarheads here just doggies and squids....
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#2]
FMF aka sea going bellhops...got your shades on there hollywood?....dont forget to carry the admirals luggage.......
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#4]
What the hell is FMF?
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
 Fleet Marine Force
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 7:00:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I always liked Combat MOS's, I just did'nt like the pogues.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Paul
I am a Marine Officer who has had the unfortunate collateral duty as the NRS officer for my Battery in the past.  The 100 percent contact rule was used.  We had to give everyone the opportunity to contribute.  The Marine were not force in anyway.  The officers and SNCO on the other hand, although not forced would have a talking to by either the BN XO or SgtMaj if they didn't fill out the form.  The same things applied for CFC.  Not mandatory, but you better think about it.

The Army and Airforce have a similar program, but I'm not sure of the name though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#9]
My pop spent 23 years in the Navy retired CW4...combat vet two wars  countless brush wars , skirmishes, and stuff he didnt talk about. He was also heavy-wt champ All Navy/Marine Corps three years running & was the Provost Marshal GLNTC...always gave to Navy Relief but mostly gave to any and all who served with him...I dont think I ever met a man who loved the Navy like my dad and if it was good for the Navy he did it and never bitched about it...we never went hungry or went without shoes on our feet or a roof over our heads...and our dad always made us proud of him and what how he served.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Yor're kidding when you bust down on Navy Relief, right?  

Good lord.  Of all the stupid things I spent my paycheck on I certainly didn't miss the 2 bucks a month I signed up for.  

And I wasn't forced too, either.  I regularly gaffed off the "combined federal campaign" with no ill-effects.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top