Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/12/2009 11:36:37 AM EDT
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/full-length-exclusive-halo-3-odst/55529#comment_head_text

Wow again they got to get the ball rolling make the dam film ,looks great !
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#2]
If done right, it would be one hell of a movie.

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Awesome trailer … shame that HALO gameplay always devolves into a bunch or silly jumping around with no real tactical component.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I pre-ordered it simply for the multiplayer maps it comes with for Halo 3, I could care less about the game itself.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Waaaaaay too much steady cam and blurriness.

If you're gonna go all out, don't cop out on effects by using split second shots.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#6]
They already had 6 months of pre-production on the Halo Movie before it was canned.

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#7]
That 2 minute commercial is closer to being the "Starship Troopers" movie than the actual "Starship Troopers" movie.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Music was great, I'd love go know where to find it.

(Hey, I have two CDs of chanting Buddhist monks, so I listen to odd stuff...)
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That 2 minute commercial is closer to being the "Starship Troopers" movie than the actual "Starship Troopers" movie.

This.

Actually, that IS about what I expected when I read ST.  The movie sucked, and never even came close to the book.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Saw it on TV last night and was blown away.

This makes it even more amazing (from Wiki):

Among the promotional material released for the game was a live-action trailer posted to the internet on September 4.[54] The short was created by advertising agency TAG SF, with props by Legacy Effects and effects by Asylum. The short was directed by production company MJZ, who also handled the award-winning Halo 3 "Believe" advertisement. Legacy designed and fabricated weapons, armor, and an alien costume within two weeks. The production then filmed scenes in a Hungarian strip mine for three days; the actors featured were a mixture of ex-military and special operations soldiers.

If true (hey, it's Wikipedia), that's astounding - creating all of the props in two weeks and then shooting for only three days.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Hopefully Uwe Boll is not involved if they do make it into a movie.  I Netflixed In The Name Of The King a while back and it was complete garbage.   That man screws up every videogame movie he touches.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If true (hey, it's Wikipedia), that's astounding - creating all of the props in two weeks and then shooting for only three days.

This is true and was reviled in the behind the scenes feature played on Spike last Thursday... they glimpsed the footage of a lot more battle scenes that
unfortunately didn't make it into the trailer :( Amazing work nonetheless!
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Absolutely badass.  Too bad that the original HALO movie got scrapped; after seeing the Diablo 3 trailer a while back, I thought Blizzard should just make a damned movie already and be done with it (live-action Warcraft doesn't count).

The things I would have made if I were rich...
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Not a HALO fan, but that was an incredible trailer.  A Star Craft movie would be cool too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If done right, it would be one hell of a movie.

NO movie based on a video game has ever been "done right". So that would be a first. Because every movie based on a game has SUCKED BALLS.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Halo is the most over rated game franchise ever.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Saw it on TV last night and was blown away.

This makes it even more amazing (from Wiki):

Among the promotional material released for the game was a live-action trailer posted to the internet on September 4.[54] The short was created by advertising agency TAG SF, with props by Legacy Effects and effects by Asylum. The short was directed by production company MJZ, who also handled the award-winning Halo 3 "Believe" advertisement. Legacy designed and fabricated weapons, armor, and an alien costume within two weeks. The production then filmed scenes in a Hungarian strip mine for three days; the actors featured were a mixture of ex-military and special operations soldiers.

+1

And hollywood spends millions to produce pieces of shit like

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

First one was awesome, but yeah, I would agree with you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#24]
removed
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have my name in the credits of at least 1 halo game.  

How many have your name in the credits?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#26]
removed

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#27]
The Halo Wars trailer was way better... THAT is what the movie needs to be if it ever is made!

The Halo 3 live-action short films were excellent as well.

To be honest, this ODST trailer was weak compared to the previous videos I just menioned. That being said, I will be getting ODST and look forward to fire fight more than anything in the game!

Oly Oly Oxen Free!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#29]
The Halo franchise may have been over-hyped, but the reason for it's popularity is the amount of entertainment had in playing it. Period.

No game is so successful merely because of marketing if it is without legitimate merit in the fun department.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#30]
that was pretty damn cool
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

It kind hurts your image when you have super geeks like the star wars fangs; whome show up to game release events all dressed up in costumes and having pretend shootouts with aliens.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/rcbaker87/Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Very fucking serious.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nathan Fillion, aka Mal Reynolds from Firefly does the voice over and lends his likeness to Gunny Buck in the game..Adam Baldwin is Dutch and number 6 from BSG, Tricia Helfer is Dare...the spook in charge of the mission..Alan Tudyk is rumored to be in it too..

IIRC, Nathan Fillion had a -very- small voice role in Halo 3, not sure if Adam Baldwin was featured too?

Wonder what the chances would be of casting them if the movie ever does resume production?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Awesome trailer … shame that HALO gameplay always devolves into a bunch or silly jumping around with no real tactical component.

I KNOOOOWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very fucking serious.

Well cool!

Unfortunate this is apparently a point of embarrassment rather than pride...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

same here

have been trying to find out a name, but haven't been successful
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Look up the extended video. Adds about another minute, worth a watch.

Played ODST at PAX. It was decent.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very fucking serious.

BFD, so you were a caterer...

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

song is a version of Café del Mar's "Light of Aidan - Lament", which is much more lighter and softer. Hopefully they will release this version once the game comes out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3A3XeonBZI

Apparently translated it comes out to

"And my army of brothers went over the hilltops, drenched in blood we may be.... but fighting is all left to me....together with my army of brothers...down we fall....darkness in all..through hell!"
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

AGREED! try that in real life repetative jumping 10 feet into the air.

It helps if you have a wearable elemental suit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have my name in the credits for TWO AAA class titles, some of my art assets were used in a third, and yeah, Halo is over rated.  Good, but still over-rated.

The story and technical execution are fantastic, but if you worked on any of them, you know that MSoft pressured Bungie into expanding the play length of the first game significantly, which led to a lot of the repetition.  Fight your way IN...  MacGuffin... Fight your way back OUT along the exact reverse of the previous path...  Repeat for Forerunner artifact, Covenant ship, Forerunner artifact, Covenant ship, Forerunner base, Halo surface battlefield, Covenant ship, etc.

It was lazy level development partially masked by very sharp technical skills.

Basically, Halo could have benefited from an editor the same way Ayn Rand needed one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have my name in the credits for TWO AAA class titles, some of my art assets were used in a third, and yeah, Halo is over rated.  Good, but still over-rated.

The story and technical execution are fantastic, but if you worked on any of them, you know that MSoft pressured Bungie into expanding the play length of the first game significantly, which led to a lot of the repetition.  Fight your way IN...  MacGuffin... Fight your way back OUT along the exact reverse of the previous path...  Repeat for Forerunner artifact, Covenant ship, Forerunner artifact, Covenant ship, Forerunner base, Halo surface battlefield, Covenant ship, etc.

It was lazy level development partially masked by very sharp technical skills.

Basically, Halo could have benefited from an editor the same way Ayn Rand needed one.

I'd like to also point out that MS pushed Bungie to finish the original Halo waaaaay ahead of schedule, so it could be a launch title for the Xbox.

There is a lot of stuff in the game files that you'll never see unless you do some hacking.  And a lot of that stuff is probably there because Bungie wanted it to be part of the story.

The original trailers for Halo still make me think it could have been a lot better.

E3 2000
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very fucking serious.

Little boy.  Sit in the corner while the big boys talk.  

Let me give you guys a brief history of Halo from a game developer that has been there.  

Halo is a failed RTS that gets recreated into a FPS while ripping off the ring world series of books \ thrown in a little bit of aliens (Sargent Johnson \ drop ships \ most of the weapons \ ect) and you have Halo.

• Bungie is purchased by MS and loses their freedom for continuing to keep their jobs - MS Purchases them and others during a developer buying blitz they started in the late 90's

• Bungie delivers Halo 1 FPS for the Xbox - yes it was a FPS on a console that the masses could enjoy, but there where better FPS's by far out there

• Halo 2 comes out - more of the same except you play as an alien and they have a cliff hanger ending so you will purchase the 360 -  also take out all of the Jihad references because we would not want to upset the PC crowd

• By this point "Old guard" Bungie guys have left the company - this is where things really go down hill

• MS Marketing engine takes over the development of the games and it now takes 4-5 years or more to make a game because they are major investments and require micro management

• Bungie meanwhile has other game ideas they are shopping to MS but MS will not let them do them, even if they are good games

• Halo 3 comes out for the 360 - 6 hours of gameplay in single play but as always it has a good multiplayer system that everyone knows by now

• COD 4 - overtakes Halo 3 xbox live multiplayer in less than 1 month of sales

• Bungie splits from MS but signs a deal that MS owns Halo and the franchise ect, also that Bungie has to publish through MS

• MS sets up gorilla campaign to bring Bungie people into an internal Halo team to make games for them - begins undermining Bungie and stealing the talent

• Out of this you get an in house Halo anime and some other projects I cant talk about, that are equally dumb

All of this drama = mediocre games with ok multiplayer and a big marketing engine behind them to push them out.  There is no new game play, nothing of real substance.  Of course when you get a franchise as big as halo making changes in gameplay is a matter of iteration and not evolution because it pisses off the mouth breathers.  

How much do you think that video you just watched cost MS?  That was not done in house.  MS Expects returns on their investments, and that means less money spent on real game development.  

Sorry to piss in your cool aid but those are the facts.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very fucking serious.

Little boy.  Sit in the corner while the big boys talk.  

Let me give you guys a brief history of Halo from a game developer that has been there.  

Halo is a failed RTS that gets recreated into a FPS while ripping off the ring world series of books \ thrown in a little bit of aliens (Sargent Johnson \ drop ships \ most of the weapons \ ect) and you have Halo.

• Bungie is purchased by MS and loses there freedom for continuing to keep their jobs - MS Purchases them and others during a developer buying blitz they started in the late 90's

• Bungie delivers Halo 1 FPS for the Xbox - yes it was a FPS on a console that the masses could enjoy, but there where better FPS's by far out there

• Halo 2 comes out - more of the same except you play as an alien and they have a cliff hanger ending so you will purchase the 360 -  also take out all of the Jihad references because we would not want to upset the PC crowd

• By this point "Old guard" Bungie guys have left the company - this is where things really go down hill

• MS Marketing engine takes over the development of the games and it now takes 4-5 years or more to make a game because they are major investments and require micro management

• Bungie meanwhile has other game ideas they are shopping to MS but MS will not let them do them, even if they are good games

• Halo 3 comes out for the 360 - 6 hours of gameplay in single play but as always it has a good multiplayer system that everyone knows by now

• COD 4 - overtakes Halo 3 xbox live multiplayer in less than 1 month of sales

• Bungie splits from MS but signs a deal that MS owns Halo and the franchise ect, also that Bungie has to publish through MS

• MS sets up gorilla campaign to bring Bungie people into an internal Halo team to make games for them - begins undermining Bungie and stealing the talent

• Out of this you get an in house Halo anime and some other projects I cant talk about, that are equally dumb

All of this drama = mediocre games with ok multiplayer and a big marketing engine behind them to push them out.  There is no new game play, nothing of real substance.  Of course when you get a franchise as big as halo making changes in gameplay is a matter of iteration and not evolution because it pisses off the mouth breathers.  

How much do you think that video you just watched cost MS?  That was not done in house.  MS Expects returns on their investments, and that means less money spent on real game development.  

Sorry to piss in your cool aid but those are the facts.

Everything you just posted there supports his (and my) original statement.

Like I said, technically excellent and creatively lazy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#47]
The name of the song is "pyeng threadgill" - before day
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#48]
I just watched some of the first cut scene on youtube, and the cast is wash, mal, and jayne from serenity and the firefly series...cool.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

QFT
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Arfcom needs a movie about Arfcommers and SHTF where the worlds turned on america and all the Arfcommers kill over 1000 men each, and then they all die a valient death with each their own respective AR build.

Kinda like 300 but in modern form with Arfcommers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top