Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2002 11:04:17 AM EDT
but since it is illegal, I guess the next best thing is to turn AR15.com loose on their ass!

Read on and prepare to be angry.  Feel free to flame the necessary party. (disclamer - this was sent to me via email from a friend. I have not personally verified this incident but trust the source.)

THIS SHOULD MAKE YOUR BLOOD BOIL

As much money as this women has, why does she care?  She obviously has never been in the military.
On 12 November, Ms Cindy Williams (from the
Laverne and Shirley TV show) wrote a piece for the Washington Times denouncing the pay raise(s) coming service members' way this year - citing that the stated 13% wage gap was bogus. A young airman from Hill AFB responds to her article below. He ought to get a bonus for this!
Ms. Williams:
I just had the pleasure of reading your column of 12 Nov, "Our GIs Earn Enough" and I am a bit confused. Frankly, I'm wondering where this vaunted overpayment is going, because as far as I can tell, it disappears every month between DFAS (The Defense Finance and Accounting Service) and my bank account. Checking my latest leave and earnings statement (LES), I see that I make $1,117.80, before taxes. After taxes, I take home $874.20. When I run that through Windows' Calculator, I come up with an annual salary of $13,413.60 before taxes, and $10,490.40 after. I work in the Air Force Network Control Center (AFNCC), where I am    part of the team responsible for the administration of a 5,000-host computer network. I am involved with infrastructure  segments, specifically with Cisco Systems equipment. A quick check under jobs for Network Technicians in the Washington, D.C. area reveals a position in my career field, requiring three years experience with my job.
Amazingly, this job does NOT pay $13,413.60 a year, nor does it pay less than this. No, this job is being offered at $70,000 to $80,000 per annum. I'm sure you can draw the obvious conclusions.
Also, you tout increases to Basic Allowance for Housing and Basic Allowance for Subsistence (housing and food allowances, respectively) as
being a further boon to an already over- compensated force. Again, I'm curious as to where this money has gone, as BAH and BAS were both slashed 15% in the Hill AFB area effective in January 00.
Given the tenor of your column, I would assume that you have NEVER had the pleasure of serving your country in her armed forces. Before you take it upon yourself to once more castigate congressional and DOD leadership for attempting to get the families in the military's lowest pay brackets off AFDC, WIC, and food stamps, I suggest that you join a group of deploying soldiers headed for AFGHANISTAN, I leave the choice of service branch up to you. Whatever choice you make, though, opt for the SIX month
rotation: it will guarantee you the longest  possible time away from your family and friends, thus giving you full "deployment experience".

continued.....
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#1]
continued from above

As your group prepares to board the plane,  make sure to note the spouses and children who are saying good-bye to their loved ones. Also take care to note that several families are still unsure of how they'll be able to make
ends meet while the primary breadwinner is
gone-obviously they've been squandering the vast piles of cash the DOD has been giving them.
Try to deploy over a major holiday; Christmas and Thanksgiving are perennial favorites. And when you're actually over there, sitting in a
DFP (Defensive Fire Position, the modern-day
foxhole), shivering against the cold desert night, and the flight sergeant tells you that there aren't enough people on shift to relieve you for chow, remember this: trade whatever MRE
(meal-ready-to-eat) you manage to get for the tuna noodle casserole or cheese tortellini, and add Tabasco to everything, this gives some flavor.
Talk to your loved ones as often as you are
permitted; it won't nearly be long enough or often enough, but take what you can get and be
thankful for it. You may have picked up on the
fact that I disagree with most of the points you present in your op-ed piece. But, tomorrow from KABUL, I will defend to the death your right to say it.
  You see, I am an American fighting man, a
guarantor of your First Amendment rights and every other right you cherish. On a daily basis, my brother and sister soldiers worldwide
ensure that you and people like you can thumb your collective nose at us, all on a salary that is nothing short of pitiful and under  conditions that would make most people cringe.
We hemorrhage our best and brightest into the private sector because we can't offer the stability and pay of civilian companies. And you, Ms. Williams, have the gall to say that we make more than we deserve?
  Rubbish!

A1C Michael Bragg, Hill AFB AFNCC

IF YOU AGREE, PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE AND SHOW OUR SUPPORT OF THE AMERICAN FIGHTING MEN AND WOMEN. THANK YOU.

[pissed]

I personally am appalled and speachless, how do you respond to such ignorance?

[50]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#2]
She's not the only idiot in the world.

While I was on a 9 month cruise in the mid 70s (Unitas 17, for those of you keeping score), that cow, Pat Schroeder (Nitwit, Colorado) wanted to do away with the magnificent $17 (as I recall) I was getting for sea pay at the time. I wrote her a letter explaining that I would gladly exchange my sea pay for her daily per diem to sit on her flabby backside in Washington DC (as I recall $75/day then - the per diem, not her flabby backside), or take her cool, air-conditioned job while she went to work down in the engine room of a clapped out destroyer and didn't see her kids for 9 months or more.

I left the Navy at the end of that cruise.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#3]
This was NOT THE SAME CINDY WILLIAMS that was in the Laverne and Shirley show, and it did NOT happen this last November, it was November of 99 I believe.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#4]
After a quick google search:

[url]http://web.mit.edu/ssp/db21/GIs.html[/url]
....this is the text of the letter by Cindy Williams, senior research fellow at MIT(not the acrtress, i presume).  Written January 12th, 2000, washington post.

[url]http://www.ragbaby.com/magazine/20000314.htm[/url]
...this is a URL of the letter you posted....it was written March 14th, 2000.

....And, lastly:
[url]http://www.snopes2.com/inboxer/outrage/gipay.htm#link[/url]

....this letter apparently has been making the rounds, with the soldiers' location being changed to the hot-spot-of-the-day.

Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#5]
FooBarBaz,
 Sir, I am impressed by your web surfing skills.  We tried to find verification but was not able to come up with anything.

But still, this woman's opinion is still misguided and the airman's response still pretty good.

I am shocked to learn that his location is being changed to the hot spot.  It's also a bummer to have to wipe a bit of egg off of my face for helping to disseminate crap!

And to have to do it so soon!

[:I]----> [stick]-----> [B)]---->  [>(]  
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL.....I almost didn't scroll down far enough on the results page;  If I hadn't, I would not have seen the link to snopes, and realized that it was one of those things that gets passed around every now and then.  It was also mentioned(I think on snopes.com) that the letter from the soldier was NOT published in the washington post.  Figures.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
FooBarBaz,
 Sir, I am impressed by your web surfing skills.  We tried to find verification but was not able to come up with anything.
View Quote

Then why did you even post it?

This is old news that's being "revised on the fly," and even a cursory Google search would have shown it to be a hoax.

If you can't find an original, verifiable source, don't post it!!!!

Sheesh......
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Geez Steel Rat, give pakrat a break. This was an honest mistake and might have happened to anyone. At least he took the time to bring out what he felt was an unacceptable situation.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#9]
i wouldn't discount this as a total hoax.. it could have actually been written by a soldier in deployment, but pladgerized over the years..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top