Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2002 12:34:33 AM EDT
[i]Friday, February 08, 2002 Shvat 26, 5762 Israel Time: 11:16 (GMT+2)  
08:49 08/02/2002    Last update - 10:11 08/02/2002 [/i]

[b]Survey: violent incidents against British Jews on the rise

By Sharon Sadeh, Ha'aretz Correspondent[/b]

The number of violent incidents against British Jews is on the rise, says a survey published Thursday by the Community Security Trust. The CST provides security and defense advice for the Jewish community throughout the United Kingdom.

Data from the CST shows that following the September 11 terror attacks, anti-Semitic incidents in Britain rose by 150 percent compared to August, with September and October constituting the second and third highest monthly totals ever recorded.

Last year, 90 cases of vandalism against Jewish property were reported compared to 73 in 2000 and 25 in 1999. In addition, 301 attempts to harm Jews were reported, compared to 405 in 2000 (there was a drastic jump in the number of incidents in October due to the outbreak of the intifada), 270 in 1999, and 236 in 1998.

"The high figures in 2001 reflect a global trend whereby violence in the Middle East gives rise to attacks against the Jewish community in the Diaspora," said Michael Whine, CST director of communications.

Not only have the number of incidents risen, but they are also becoming more serious, according to the survey. Since 1999, while the number of incidents of abusive behavior has stayed relatively constant, the number of physical assaults on Jews has risen by 21 percent.

A number of MPs sent a message to Home Secretary David Blankett this week, calling on the government to prosecute extremist Muslims who incite to kill Jews after the state prosecution closed a case last month against five youths charged with calling for the assassination of Jews. The British prosecution closed the case due to "lack of evidence."

The British media reported extensively this week on four Muslim preachers who have been charged by Andrew Dismore, a Labor MP, of distributing anti-Semitic material. Dismore said he did not know why "measures have not yet been taken against these people, their groups and the material they are distributing."

--------------------

Didn't Blair say that Muslim are "peace lovers"?
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 12:53:28 AM EDT
[#1]
The UK has allowed an insane number of foreigners into it.  many of them are Pakistani, or as the Brits call them "Paki scum" who hold a great deal of contempt for the country they have emigrated to.  

Doesn't Italy have a problem with Albanians smuggled in by the Albanian mafia?  Here in Alaska, the Albanians had a party after the terrorist attacks of September 11.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 1:44:34 AM EDT
[#2]
UK is the biggest Arab country in Europe. Even in Germany (they have 10 times the number of Arab immigrates than in Italy) there is a better situation. In UK if a Parliament Member wants to be rielected, in some districts where the Arabs are majority, cannot speak in defence of Israel policy or disapprove kamikazes...
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:42:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I would like to see a link to this.  Without seeing the source I can already see it may be biased.  

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#4]
"Biased"?  What human view isn't?  The facts are still true.

Here's an online article with the information:

[url]http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=127369&sw=attacks+london[/url]

And another view of the same info...

[url]http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=119120&contrassID=2&subContrassID=15&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y[/url]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:29:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Has the rate of violence against British Jews risen faster than the rate of violence in Britain for people in general?
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:18:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Has the rate of violence against British Jews risen faster than the rate of violence in Britain for people in general?
View Quote

No I don't think it doubled like violence against british jews.
This because there aren't thugs inciting to slaughter british in general...
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:19:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would like to see a link to this.  Without seeing the source I can already see it may be biased.  

-Velveeta
View Quote

*snip*[i]...By Sharon Sadeh, Ha'aretz Correspondent...[/i] *snip

Maybe you need a pair of glasses?

Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
*snip*[i]...By Sharon Sadeh, Ha'aretz Correspondent...[/i] *snip

Maybe you need a pair of glasses?
View Quote

I had never heard of "Ha'aretz" so I asked for a link.  Problem?

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Ever heard of google.com?

Sorry, couldn't resist... [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top