Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2002 3:13:54 PM EDT
I searched for a bit on the web for a .net bibliography but could not find one about him.  Not wanting to buy one of his books JUST to satisfy my curiosity, I ask you all now:

What did he have to do with Ayn Rand and why did she publically throw him out of her philisophy?

Thanks to anyone who knows anything about this, it has been bugging me for weeks.

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The basic reason was that they were having an affair. Tough to keep a professional relationship together when you are both sleeping and working together and your respective spouses know about it.

I don’t recall what the “blow-up” issue was. I have a hazy memory that it concerned different views on what sexuality meant to men and women.

“What did he have to do with Ayn Rand and why did she publically throw him out of her philisophy?”

[url=ellensplace.net/ar_51_82.html]Find your answer here.[/url]

Hopes this helps.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd always wondered that too, since Rand makes such a point of publicly distancing herself from Branden.  Then I read his side of it.

Branden has an autobiography that goes into a little more detail.  I don't remember exactly how it all went, but I think Rand started getting possessive toward the end, Branden rebuffed her, and the next thing he knew she was throwing a screaming public tantrum about how he was a traitor to her philosophy.

Typical psycho-female bullshit.

Rand had some nice ideas, but she very obviously didn't live up to them in her personal life.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#3]
OK I'll bite, who are these people?
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OK I'll bite, who are these people?
View Quote

NSFJojo, flashman, and me??  Or Rand and Branden?? [:D]

Please tell me you're joking -- surely you know who Ayn Rand, the founder of the philosophy of Objectivism, author of [u]Atlas Shrugged[/u] and [u]The Fountainhead[/u], and unrepentant capitalist was!

Nathaniel Branden was one of her top helpers until she threw her hissy-fit.  I think he was, or later became, a psychologist.  IMHO he was not particularly famous other than as a footnote in her books ("Nathaniel Branden is persona non grata and should be hanged.  Leonard Peikoff is the heir to my philosophical throne.").
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 12:23:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I wasn't joking and stop calling me Surely.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok, they were characters on that show 90210.  Branden was a sorta cool kid for a spoiled son of a yuppie capitalist.  I believe his dad made his fortune by inventing the clothshanger.  The millions he made off of that he used to raise his son Nathaniael Branden and Shannon Dohorty (precharmed - pro bitch).  Anyway, Ayn Rand was his girlfriends best friend who decided to sleep with him so she seduced him at one of the many frat parties.  They've never admitted it but their knowing smiles when they passed each other in the hall gives it all away.  Obviously his wife to be wasn't pleased.  Hey all rich spoiled kids have wives to be.  Why else would they have affairs???  

Anyway... Rand grew up to write the Rand Atlas.  Not draw but write.  There were no pictures then, because the rich bad-ass kid took control of all internet and computer software.  So he didn't let anyone use it unless they (or their girlfriends) slept with him as well.  Hey, he owned a vette, so he didn't really have to force the issue.

Anyway after 90210 Branden changed his name to Brandon and added a "Lee" after it and made 3/4 of a successfull movie call "The Crow".  

Any more then that and you'll have to check the archives... I'm all out of wisdom for now.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:34:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I don't know but I think he fell in Love with Ayn Rand and then spent the next 25 years P^&SY Whipped.  And so he still talks about her today.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:37:20 AM EDT
[#8]
My head hurts...[>:/]

I still have no freaking clue as to who these people are......[whacko]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I still have no freaking clue as to who these people are......[whacko]
View Quote

1) Go to local bookstore.
2) Buy copy of [u]Atlas Shrugged[/u].
3) Read the "about the author" pages.
4) Read the book.
5) Be enlightened.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#10]
M4A3 Read Atlas Shrugged, its only the second most read book in the world besides the bible. I will say no more until you read it.
Then read

The Fountainhead
Anthem
We the Living

If you are not a statist you will love them.

Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Surely

Stealth almost had it right but missed the truth.

Ayn Rand never even went to school.  If she had she never would have grown up misspelling her name.  It was ANN Rand.  However, due to family money she was the founder of the Rand Foundation which was part of the military industrial complex that Esenhower warned us about.  Her leadership of the foundation led us to trade arms for hostages in the early '80s almost leading to the downfall of Ollie North.
 Nathaniel Branden was a computer programmer that worked at the foundation.  He is often credited for being the brains behind the establishment of the Internet.  It is too bad that Al Gore tried to steal that honor.

I hope this clears things up.  I'm going to watch the Olympics.  See you later.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Atlas Shrugged should be required reading.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
M4A3 Read Atlas Shrugged, its only the second most read book in the world besides the bible.
View Quote

Anyone know what the third most read book in the world is?  I might consider that one.  I still can't believe I have never heard of it/them.  I smell a poll!
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Surely

Stealth almost had it right but missed the truth.

Ayn Rand never even went to school.  If she had she never would have grown up misspelling her name.  It was ANN Rand.  However, due to family money she was the founder of the Rand Foundation which was part of the military industrial complex that Esenhower warned us about.  Her leadership of the foundation led us to trade arms for hostages in the early '80s almost leading to the downfall of Ollie North.
 Nathaniel Branden was a computer programmer that worked at the foundation.  He is often credited for being the brains behind the establishment of the Internet.  It is too bad that Al Gore tried to steal that honor.

I hope this clears things up.  I'm going to watch the Olympics.  See you later.
View Quote

Do you think they'll ever catch Jarod?

or was that The Center?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top