Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2002 12:28:43 PM EDT
Here's another Palestinian gunman opening fire at Israeli troops while dressed in an IDF uniform! Seems he took cover in an Israeli home, got surrounded, and before the IDF could storm the place, he shot and killed the woman and her 11 year old daughter!

[size=4]Israeli Helicopters Strike Nablus[/size=4]
By Jason Keyser
Associated Press Writer
Thursday, February 7, 2002; 1:32 PM

HAMRA, West Bank –– A Palestinian gunman disguised as an Israeli soldier infiltrated this tiny, isolated Jewish settlement, and the army said he killed three Israelis, including a mother and her 11-year-old daughter he held hostage in their home where he was eventually shot dead by troops.

The 30-minute assault marked the first time in 16 months of Israeli-Palestinian fighting that Israelis were killed in their home and further raised the nation's anxiety level. In response, Israeli F-16 warplanes fired two missiles at a government complex in the West Bank town of Nablus early Thursday, wounding 11 Palestinians.

Hours later, Israeli helicopter gunships fired two more missiles at the same complex, witnesses said. Black smoke rose from the large compound and ambulances raced to the scene.

[b]After the first air raid, 32 suspected Islamic militants were freed from prisons in Nablus and the West Bank town by Jenin, some by police and others by gunmen, to keep them out of harm's way.[/b]

In Hamra, a remote settlement of 40 families in the West Bank's Jordan Valley, terrified residents barricaded themselves in their homes during Wednesday night's attack, turning off lights to avoid drawing the gunman's attention.

Kevin Smith, 34, an immigrant from Blackburn, England who lives near the home taken over by the gunman, said his three small children crouched under beds, crying. [b]Smith said his 4-year-old son Eden – whose favorite book is "Peter and the Wolf" – kept saying, 'the wolf is coming to get us."[/b]

- continued -
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#1]
The gunman was unhurried and fired methodically, witnesses said. Four people were wounded, and the assailant was eventually shot dead by Israeli troops.

A leader in the Al Aqsa Brigades, [u]a militia linked to Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's Fatah movement[/u], said the group was escalating its attacks. "We started with shooting attacks, then roadside bombs ... and now we are sending attackers into Israel and the settlements," said the militiaman, who spoke on condition of anonymity, for fear of Israeli retribution.

The Islamic militant group Hamas claimed responsibility for the Hamra attack, identifying the assailant as Mohammed Ziad Khalili, 26, a member of the Hamas military wing from Nablus. [b]"My brother faced the settlers face to face. He is a hero," said Khalili's brother, Raed.[/b]

Earlier reports that the Al Aqsa Brigades also claimed responsibility could not be confirmed.

The attack came just hours before Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon was to meet at the White House with President Bush. Sharon said last week he would ask Bush to cut off all contact with Arafat whom Israel has held responsible for Palestinian bombing and shooting attacks.

In Nablus, 25 prisoners from the Hamas and Islamic Jihad groups were released early Thursday from two detention centers, including one that had come under Israeli attack, to keep them out of harm's way, Palestinian officials said.

Among those released were two leading Islamic Jihad members, Mohammed Tawalbeh and Ali Safouri, who had been included on a U.S. list of 33 militants Washington wanted to see behind bars. [b]Palestinian police said 103 suspected informers for Israel remained locked up despite the air strike.[/b]

In the West Bank town of Jenin, a crowd stormed a makeshift jail in a temporary jail after the Nablus air strike and released seven suspected militants detained there by Palestinian police.

The Palestinian Authority says it is doing its best to rein in the militants, but that Israel often provokes attacks with its harsh military strikes in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. This week, the Palestinians handed the United States a 17-page document detailing its fight against terror, saying it has arrested 195 militants, blocked 56 suspect bank accounts, shut down 15 illegal munitions factories and 79 unregistered charities and clamped down on militant mosque preachers.

The attack on Hamra began at about 7:30 p.m. Wednesday. A Palestinian gunman armed with an M-16 assault rifle, a grenade and eight ammunition clips cut the settlement's fence and opened fire on a soldier and a civilian security guard, said Maj. Gen. Yitzhak Eitan, the army commander in the West Bank.

The soldier was killed on the spot and the civilian guard dove for cover. "He (the gunman) was walking while shooting, not rushing, going slowly," said Yigal Daniel, 62, a Hamra resident.

- continued -
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Reinforcements arrived from a nearby training base for new conscripts and two soldiers were wounded in an ensuing firefight, the military said. The gunman ran into a nearby house where Miri Ohana, 50, and her 11-year-old daughter Yael were hiding. For a while, soldiers lost the gunman's trail, said Brig. Gen. Udi Shani, commander of forces in the Jordan Valley.

When troops finally sighted him in the house, he was quickly killed by four shots through a window by soldiers equipped with night vision goggles, Shani told The Associated Press. When soldiers entered the house, they found Yael dead on the floor, while her mother lay critically wounded in a nearby bedroom, Shani said. [b]"Thank God, you arrived," Mrs. Ohana told the soldiers before losing consciousness, Shani said. She died en route to a hospital.[/b]

Military officials had initially said they could not determine yet whether the two civilians were killed by the gunmen or by the soldiers' fire.

The attack on Hamra was preceded by a string of attempted attacks on Israeli civilians. On Wednesday, a bus driver alerted police to a suspicious passenger. Police and bystanders overpowered him near Jerusalem and discovered he was wearing a belt with explosives.

The would-be bomber was identified as Nidal Soragji, a high-school cafeteria worker from Nablus and a nephew of a leading Hamas militant killed last month in an Israeli raid of his hide-out.

North of Tel Aviv, two Palestinians with a large explosive device in their car were caught at a security checkpoint north of Tel Aviv as they were on their way to carry out an attack, police said.

In the West Bank, soldiers intercepted a truck carrying eight rockets for Palestinian militants in the West Bank. The rockets, with a range of six to seven miles, would give the Palestinians the ability to hit Israeli cities from the West Bank.

Sharon has warned that the firing of rockets at Israeli cities would be a turning point in Israel's relations with the Palestinian Authority.

See article at:[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A39589-2002Feb7.html[/url]

So 'My brother faced the settlers face to face. He is a hero,' said Khalili's brother, Raed? I wonder, does that include the mother and daughter settlers? Yes, sir, an honest-to-God true 'Palestinian hero', all right!

The Israeli settler's son was right - 'the wolf [u]is[/u] coming to get us.'

Now, let me ask you - does this murderer's family need to be killed? Does the brother, at least, who called him a 'hero' need to be killed?  Hmmm? I'm glad I don't have to make that decision!

But the Israelis will most likely [u]bulldoze[/u] his family's home after giving them an opportunity to leave! Gee, I hope this doesn't upset 5subslr5, too much!

[b]Too bad the murdering bastard didn't give the Israeli family an opportunity to leave, eh?[/b]

Eric The(Y'allFeelBetter,Now?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#3]
"Tit for tat" comes to mind, but the Israelis have much higher morals than the POS palestinian terrorists.

A hole bunch of remote controlled bombs in markets and mosques would sure wake up the palestinian people, but too immoral.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Same song but what verse are they in...I've lost interest...errrr make that lost my place.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, I thought I'd bump this thread btt, just for 5subslr5's sake!

I know anything dealing with bulldozers is high on his list of interests![:D]

Eric The(NothingStandsInTheWayOfACaterpillar!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:57:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Israel neads to rid the world og those savages!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:08:39 AM EDT
[#7]
One thing I like about Israel is that they don't take BS lying down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top