Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Posted: 9/6/2009 9:21:26 AM EDT
Let me start this by saying I am a Christian and have grown up in the church.  I believe in God and His son Jesus Christ.  This thread is not meant to demean or criticize, it is exclusively meant to find an answer to something I have been wondering.  So please, do not let this turn into a nasty debate between creationists and evolutionists, OK?  I am simply looking for info for my own personal reasons.  That said, let's try this...

Like I said, I have always believed that God created the Earth and man.  I never really believed in a literal interpretation of the Bible, but, like I said, having grown up in the church, I always did and still do believe in God and that he created us.  However, when I was a freshamn in college I took a physical anthropology class.  The professor was talking about evolution of humans and the different types of humans that came before us.  She put a bunch of skulls up on her desk going fro ones that looked like monkeys and eneded w/ one that could have been you or me w/ a bunch on the middle that each had small changed in it.  Pretty tough to dispute that.  Also, I was always taught that God created humans and animals an what not at about the same time, but I know dinosaurs are real and they obviously came millions of years before us, so what gives?  Lastly, a lot of people say the Earth is only 6,000 years old (I assume they are reading the Bible literally), to if you believe that, how do you explain all the scientific evidence to the contrary?

Again, plese don;t let this turn ugly because it will just get locked.  I am not looking for debate, just theories and how you explain this stuff if you believe in creation.  Like I said, I do believe in creation, but I don;t know how to explain the overwhelming and rather obvious evidence.  What say you?
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Let me start this by saying I am a Christian and have grown up in the church.  I believe in God and His son Jesus Christ.  This thread is not meant to demean or criticize, it is exclusively meant to find an answer to something I have been wondering.  So please, do not let this turn into a nasty debate between creationists and evolutionists, OK?  I am simply looking for info for my own personal reasons.  That said, let's try this...

Like I said, I have always believed that God created the Earth and man.  I never really believed in a literal interpretation of the Bible, but, like I said, having grown up in the church, I always did and still do believe in God and that he created us.  However, when I was a freshamn in college I took a physical anthropology class.  The professor was talking about evolution of humans and the different types of humans that came before us.  She put a bunch of skulls up on her desk going fro ones that looked like monkeys and eneded w/ one that could have been you or me w/ a bunch on the middle that each had small changed in it.  Pretty tough to dispute that.  Also, I was always taught that God created humans and animals an what not at about the same time, but I know dinosaurs are real and they obviously came millions of years before us, so what gives?  Lastly, a lot of people say the Earth is only 6,000 years old (I assume they are reading the Bible literally), to if you believe that, how do you explain all the scientific evidence to the contrary?

Again, plese don;t let this turn ugly because it will just get locked.  I am not looking for debate, just theories and how you explain this stuff if you believe in creation.  Like I said, I do believe in creation, but I don;t know how to explain the overwhelming and rather obvious evidence.  What say you?

Sorry, but there is your answer.

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Monkeys can't build the AR platform.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#3]
My church taught that there is no conflict between our religion, and the scientific theory of evolution as an explanation of the mechanics of how life adapts to changing conditions.  The theory of evolution is silent on the origin of life.  The creation stories in the book of Genesis are to be taken as allegorical rather than a literal historical account of creation.

In other words, God created everything, including evolution.

No problem.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Simple non controversial answer:

A lot of people look at everything Humanity understands and put it in one big box, then they *think* that everything outside of that Box is "God". This is a failure to understand the true nature of God, he doesn't exist outside the "box" of human understanding... he Is the Box. Or more correctly just because you understand a miracle doesn't make it any less miraculous.

It is solely a failure of humanity to assume that the Same god whom is an artist and crafter could not also be an engineer and tinkerer. It is hubris.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

1) The 6,000yo folks are off in their own world...

2) What most of us say regarding evolution, is that intra-species evolution (eg, first dog -> thousands of dog breeds) is God's design, but that the original species were all created, vis-a-vis Genesis....

So the Monkeys to Men thing? Well, God used similar 'design' when he created the first monkey, and the first man...

But the whole single celled organism all the way 'up' to humanity theory of evolution? Sorry, it's much more 'probable' that everything was created, than that life won the lottery that many times, that many different ways....

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My church taught that there is no conflict between our religion, and the scientific theory of evolution as an explanation of the mechanics of how life adapts to changing conditions.  The creation stories in the book of Genesis are to be taken as allegorical rather than a literal historical account of creation.

No problem.

What about the prospect that evolution "created" humans (100% accepted in the scientific community) and in turn humans created god?

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Evolution happens.  Creatures adapt to their environment, survival of the fittest, etc.  But what anyone has yet to prove is that one species has evolved into another.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#8]
When I went to church as a kid, evolution/creationism never came up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...What about the prospect that evolution "created" humans (100% accepted in the scientific community) and in turn humans created god?...

If God created evolution and evolution gave rise to humans, God created humans.

No problem.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#10]
There is no conflict. God created creatures that evolve and he is a part of that process just like he created creatures that give birth and creatures that create wars and love.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

2) What most of us say regarding evolution, is that intra-species evolution (eg, first dog -> thousands of dog breeds) is God's design, but that the original species were all created, vis-a-vis Genesis....

So the Monkeys to Men thing? Well, God used similar 'design' when he created the first monkey, and the first man...

But the whole single celled organism all the way 'up' to humanity theory of evolution? Sorry, it's much more 'probable' that everything was created, than that life won the lottery that many times, that many different ways....

Holy smokes! me and Dave_ A agree ?
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#12]
IN on 1.

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Nothing to explain, for the majority of Christians there is no conflict between Christianity and evolution.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My church taught that there is no conflict between our religion, and the scientific theory of evolution as an explanation of the mechanics of how life adapts to changing conditions.  The theory of evolution is silent on the origin of life.  The creation stories in the book of Genesis are to be taken as allegorical rather than a literal historical account of creation.

No problem.

This is the answer I agree with.

Where in the Bible does it say God did not achieve what He has done through natural selection?

Why do the two belief structures have to be in conflict?

Because we are STARTING to understand some of the processes does not eliminate the possibility of them being created and guided by a higher power.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There's a thread in the religious forum that might interest you.  It's likely to be a little more civil and for sure lacks the insults and one-liners.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
IN on 1.

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

dammit, i agree with dave_A

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No, it's not 'pretty tough to dispute that'.

The teacher was able to convince you that she was right about evolution because she had a blank canvas to work with - she could paint into your mind whatever she wanted, because you, a believer in Christ, after a lifetime in churches, showed up in her class knowing NOTHING about creation.

The problem isn't with the teacher - it's with the church that failed to teach you.

THe answers you want are out there, if you want them badly enough - but you won't get them here. You'll get everything in the world but the truth.

Start with Answers in Genesis or Institute for Creation Research and go from there. When you see assertations made, verify them. when you see the godless society around you (including posters here on arfcom) cast aspersions on God's Word, dig into their claims.

As for the 6000 year theory......it's a valid understanding of Scripture, science be damned. (One thing all science has in common is thatr it's the product of fallible men.......never forget that). IS it the understanding I hold to? No; I believe there are probably skipped genaologies and th eearth is probably 10,000-25,000 years old. I also believe that there is NOTHING in 'science' that should convince me otherwise - but you will NOT come to that conclusion if you blindly buy everything your culture tries to sell you. You asked 'how do I explain the evidence to the contrary'. Well, most of it isn't really evidence at all. Much of it is a matter of faulty conclusions built on faulty assumptions, naturalistic presuppositions, and carnal agendas.

Finally.....you shouldn't be asking this here. You should be asking at your local church. If the people there can't help you, find a church that can.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
My church taught that there is no conflict between our religion, and the scientific theory of evolution as an explanation of the mechanics of how life adapts to changing conditions.  The creation stories in the book of Genesis are to be taken as allegorical rather than a literal historical account of creation.

No problem.

What about the prospect that evolution "created" humans (100% accepted in the scientific community) and in turn humans created god?

The FACT that the world was flat was 100% accepted in the scientific communities at one time.
To feel that our current scientific knowledge is the be all end all and completely infallible demonstrates either extreme arrogance, or ignorance, or both.

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy smokes! me and Dave_ A agree ?

Except that there are more extinct species than species that exist today. So those guys number's didn't come up in your proverbial lottery?

The problem we have is with our own inability to think about vast spans of time. Our own Dave_A believes in "intra-species evolution" but you don't believe these genetic changes could ever culminate into enough genetic variance where the original species and the sister species would not produce viable offspring?

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's not 'pretty tough to dispute that'.

The teacher was able to convince you that she was right about evolution because she had a blank canvas to work with - she could paint into your mind whatever she wanted, because you, a believer in Christ, after a lifetime in churches, showed up in her class knowing NOTHING about creation.

The problem isn't with the teacher - it's with the church that failed to teach you.

THe answers you want are out there, if you want them badly enough - but you won't get them here. You'll get everything in the world but the truth.

Start with Answers in Genesis or Institute for Creation Research and go from there. When you see assertations made, verify them. when you see the godless society around you (including posters here on arfcom) cast aspersions on God's Word, dig into their claims.

As for the 6000 year theory......it's a valid understanding of Scripture, science be damned. (One thing all science has in common is thatr it's the product of fallible men.......never forget that). IS it the understanding I hold to? No; I believe there are probably skipped genaologies and th eearth is probably 10,000-25,000 years old. I also believe that there is NOTHING in 'science' that should convince me otherwise - but you will NOT come to that conclusion if you blindly buy everything your culture tries to sell you. You asked 'how do I explain the evidence to the contrary'. Well, most of it isn't really evidence at all. Much of it is a matter of faulty conclusions built on faulty assumptions, naturalistic presuppositions, and carnal agendas.

Finally.....you shouldn't be asking this here. You should be asking at your local church. If the people there can't help you, find a church that can.

Well said.

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not So!

Century Arms made an AR15!

Oh wait...those are angry beavers....
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Evolution happens.  Creatures adapt to their environment, survival of the fittest, etc.  But what anyone has yet to prove is that one species has evolved into another.

Not really that hard when you consider that the definition of a species involves breeding; two populations capable of breeding, one changes to better adapt, said changes result in no more breeding between populations, changes continue to accumulate in population further driving the differences.  Voila!  New species....by definition.  It's simplified, but that's how the mechanism works.

Darwinian evolution does not operate on an organismal level; it operates on a population level.  Changes in a single organism, while useful for illustrating the genetic mechanism of change, are only part of the picture.  It is this particular detail that is often overlooked in the "no new species" arguments.

And once again, one must consider the definition of a species as part of the discussion or the whole thing is moot.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem.

The FACT that the world was flat was 100% accepted in the scientific communities at one time.
To feel that our current scientific knowledge is the be all end all and completely infallible demonstrates either extreme arrogance, or ignorance, or both.

I really would have liked to see that data that supported that the earth was flat.

Oh, yeah. there was none.

Science can be wrong...but it never was wrong about the shape of the earth, because no one measured it to determine it was flat.  People were wrong about its shape, because they didn't use science to determine it, just their "feelings".

It was know that the earth was round long before the modern "scientific method" was in wide use.  Try again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
One thing all science has in common is thatr it's the product of fallible men.......never forget that

Many would say the exact same thing about religion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm sorry, did I miss something? I mean did they find something other than the beginning and end stages of evolution? I'm talking about all the stages in between what it was, and what it has become.

Oh I also heard if you change one little thing in a DNA strand, it becomes something completely different, not something just a little different.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

WIN. Unfortunately there is going to be a lot of gnashing of teeth come judgment day.

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Evolution only raises a question if you have fallen for the "time" parable.

No such thing as time, no such thing as evolution.

/thread.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem.

When exactly was it that the flat earth idea was 100% accepted in the scientific community? People knew the earth was round thousands of years ago, long before Columbus.  Also keep in mind that the church silenced many scientists as heretics.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem.

I really would have liked to see that data that supported that the earth was flat.

Science can be wrong...but it never was wrong about the shape of the earth, because no one measured it to determine it was flat.  People were wrong about its shape, because they didn't use science to determine it, just their "feelings".

Incorrect thoughts on medicine and the human body existed for close to two thousand years because of "feelings" and fallible men merely repeating scientific dogma. I do agree that we cannot simply proclaim something as truth, but the idea that the earth is flat for example can be set to rest due to the mountains of evidence.

The idea that an imbalance of the four humors caused all sickness? Not a lot of evidence there, just dogma.

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem.

It was know that the earth was round long before the modern "scientific method" was in wide use.  Try again.

This.  The Greeks knew in like 400 or so BC that the world was not flat.

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I'm sorry, did I miss something? I mean did they find something other than the beginning and end stages of evolution? I'm talking about all the stages in between what it was, and what it has become.

Oh I also heard if you change one little thing in a DNA strand, it becomes something completely different, not something just a little different.

for the upteenth million time that people like yourself on here will ignore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_transitional_fossils

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_human_evolution_fossils

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#34]
I remember a month or two ago, someone stated these threads pop up like clockwork. Welp, they were right.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I remember a month or two ago, someone stated these threads pop up like clockwork. Welp, they were right.

This time it happened to be a Christian doubting his religion, or maybe he's an atheist mole!

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem.

This.  The Greeks knew in like 400 or so BC that the world was not flat.

However, most of the mideval 'science dogma' was simply traditional repetition of stuff from the Greeks - to include the 'earth at center of the universe', the 'elements', and the 4 humors...

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#37]
It's more a case of puncuated equilibrium than evolution.

The environment is at a stasis for a while, then a cataclysm occurs.

Those that can survive in the new world survive and breed, those that cannot die off.  Sometimes the majority species get wiped out.

An example is giraffes.

Early giraffes had short necks.  When the lower hanging leaves on trees was gone, only the longer-neck variety could eat and survive.

It's not like the short necked species all of a sudden 'evolved' into the longer neck type in time to survive.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#38]
The Catholic church has no problem with it.

It is the ones that want to believe the Bible is to be take completely literally that have problems with evolution.
But then again, that also brings up a whole other host of issues, like the new earthers delusion.

Bill
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Evolution is completely reconcilable with Christianity.

Besides, the better we understand the mechanisms God used to create us, the better we understand God and ourselves.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

WIN. Unfortunately there is going to be a lot of gnashing of teeth come judgment day.

Spot on brother. Sure are alot people who don't even under the whole evolution theory. Maybe you sheep should look up what Darwin himself said about his own theory!! I'll just leave that there you to ponder on.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem.

I don't think that anything is 100% accepted in any community.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
 I do believe in creation, but I don;t know how to explain the overwhelming and rather obvious evidence.  What say you?

The following is a great link that provides "proof" of the earths age. It's not too hard to follow and may answer some questions you have.

Radiometric Dating, a Christian perspective
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem.

You missed my point.

Scientific theory is just that, theory.
Various theories are accepted as "fact" because the "data" appears to back them up.
Until they are disproven, and another widely accepted theory takes its place.
Science is a constantly changing set of theories based on CURRENT data and experiments.
Again, to think that what we (think we) know TODAY is the be all, end all is foolish.

We know quite a bit more than we ever have, yes, but we will learn more, and in doing so accepted "facts" will change, and current scientific beliefs will be disproven many times over

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#44]
How do Christians explain evolution?

Easy.

Science is one thing. Faith is another.

I know the difference.

There is no conflict.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Here's the problem I have with the whole creation thing.

God created Adam and Eve who beget Cain and Abel who went on to do plenty of begeting of their own until that unfortunate incident with the killing and all that.

Now who did they do all this begeting with?

Where did their wives come from?
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

This, for the most part. I believe in microevolution, not macroevolution.
As for the whole "6,000-10,000" years old and literal 7 days creation thing...I'm not so quick to write it off. Personally, as a believer in an entity with no beginning or end, powerful enough to create life out of absolutely nothing, I think it's arrogant to doubt His ability to pull off such a feat. I believe that we as humans know just enough about the origins and age of the earth to be dangerous, and that there's a lot more to the story than we will ever be able to discover or comprehend in this life. I'm content to leave it at that. I don't really think I, as a mere human, have the ability to understand everything, so I don't waste my time trying.
I don't intend to offend anyone else with my "old fashioned" beliefs. I ask that you respect my right to believe what I will without being demeaned, just as I respect everyone elses right to believe what they will.

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem.

I don't think that anything is 100% accepted in any community.

Okay, you're right. 99.999999%

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#48]
In on one

And while I believe that there is a "higher power"..........I doubt that any of us , myself included , posses the intelligence yet to even begin to comprehend just what that power is.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Only a minority of Christians feel the need for literal belief in a single book of the Bible in order for their faith to stand.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By ––bullseye––:
Quoted:

This, for the most part. I believe in microevolution, not macroevolution.
As for the whole "6,000-10,000" years old and literal 7 days creation thing...I'm not so quick to write it off. Personally, as a believer in an entity with no beginning or end, powerful enough to create life out of absolutely nothing, I think it's arrogant doubt His ability to pull off such a feat. I believe that we as humans know just enough about the origins and age of the earth to be dangerous, and that there's a lot more to the story than we will ever be able to discover or comprehend in this life. I'm content to leave it at that. I don't really think I, as a mere human, have the ability to understand everything, so I don't waste my time trying.
I don't intend to offend anyone else with my "old fashioned" beliefs. I ask that you respect my right to believe what I will without being demeaned, just as I respect everyone elses right to believe what they will.

That's great, it's just that there's not one once of observable evidence to back that up, and emotion with a book compiled over a few hundred years don't count.

I'm talking of course about the 6-10k/7day possibility you mentioned above.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top