Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2002 5:14:19 AM EDT
Has anyone here used or purchased a LCD flat monitor?  Looking to get a 15" and would like to get a decent one, but not mega expensive one.  Is there a brand/model out there that has a good picture/color/resolution that does not cost an arm and a leg.  It is actually for someone else, but they are asking me to help.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:38:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:43:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I have two that I got for my main XP machine, they are set up to twin, so I have a huge desktop area.

Cool beans, I paid about $900.00 a piece for them.  They are 19 inch models though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:48:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I got the 17" model from Dell and it is nice, very nice.  Now if I can get a digital video card to got with it then it will be much much nicer.  All I can say is Wow! .... Expensive but Wow!
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#4]
In my experience, unless you have a real need to save space, they are not worth the money.  A nice Sony Trinitron tube CRT has a great quality picture at literally a fraction of the cost.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:52:01 AM EDT
[#5]
PC magazine (Feb 26th issue)just did a spread on them. The Samsung SyncMaster 17p came out on top. I haven't purchase one since we use 21 inch monitors for our design work.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:11:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a 19" NEC that is great.  Prices are dropping considerably.

Might check on
[url]www.pricescan.com[/url]
or
[url]www.pricewatch.com[/url]

plug in an item and or make & they will search for good prices.  Make sure you read description to see if new & the shipping terms.

Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:20:14 AM EDT
[#7]
i bought a low-end ($350) 15" for xmas, we dont do fancy graphics so it looks fine to me, actually easier to stare at than a crt. not really sure it's worth the extra expense, but it does free up some desk space.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I have heard that they are finicky when you want to change resolutions ie, for gaming.  I will stick with my sony.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a 18.1" LG Electronics that I picked up for $869.00 on buy.com. It is rated very high considering the price. This model seems to be the exception to you get what you pay for. It has both analog and digital inputs, I am running mine full digital off a Geforce 3 TI500 and I can say absolutely amazing! Games are better then my last CRT was, and lets not talk about the desk space I freed up!
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I am on my friends Samsung Syncmaster 570V right now and it is very nice.  Hooked up to his HP 1.6 ghz with 512m ram, dvd's look awesome and it takes up very little room on the desk.  I want one.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I got an Envision 15"

Cheap, top rated model, auto adjusting
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#12]
The only real benefit is szie and weight. For instance, if you have a shallow desk or you can't handle lugging around an 80 lb. 21" monitor. Perhaps they use less power too? Although I don't know if that's the case.

It seems to me if performance graphics are your forte, then you shold stick with a high-end Sony or something like that.

But if you really want a flat panel, the IBM IBM T221 is nice and it even comes with a digital video card. Problem is, at $19,000 you'll have to sell your car to get one.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 2:47:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The benefits go beyond the space issue. The LCD screens don't emit any Electro-Magnetic Fields like the tube versions do and are much less of a strain on your eyes.  If you do a lot of computer work like me you will benefit from the upgrade.
View Quote

I do. I've been writing code for 15 years, 12 hours a day, sometimes 7 days a week. I have a 21" Sony right now, and AFAICT, my eyes are still halfway okay. :)

But I can see the benefit in decreased eye strain. Problem is, if you do anything at all in development these days, you'll want a 21" monitor capable of at least 1600x1200 resolution. For the LCD guys, you're talking anywhere from $3,000 to $6,000, depending on the quality you desire. There are cheaper 21" LCD's, but most run at 1280x1024 max, which doesn't cut it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:02:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Mattja, what kind of development work do you do?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top