Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/4/2009 8:27:06 AM EDT
I know those who know me, or are familiar with me (whether you agree, disagree or are ambivalent)  KNOW I strongly advocate omega 3's and the supplementation of same.

I have been working on... well... too many things, really... but a theory I had regarding violence (gun or otherwise, but had specifically focused upon a lot of the types of events that tend to invigorate the "ban guns" idiots... Columbine, Virginia Tech etc...

While actually (as happens often with me) I was looking into another similar issue for a presentation I am making Sunday, I came upon something that really caught me attention with regard to firearms rights.  it was:

How Much Omega 3?

In a 2006 article by Hibbeln and colleagues Healthy Intakes of N-3 and N-6 Fatty Acids, researchers concluded that Americans should consume something on the order of 3.5 grams of EPA and DHA a day to reduce our risk of heart disease, stroke, depression, and homicide. In The Omega Connection, Andrew Stoll recommends 4 grams of EPA a day for those fighting depression.

Which led me  to:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2006/oct/17/prisonsandprobation.ukcrime

PLEASE read the WHOLE ARTICLE I know 1/2 of you don't like me... but REALLY this is stuff that in 10-15 years from now will be the NORMAL way of thought, and it's important tto us ALL and to our shared cause.

And please share your thoughts/questions.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree with it.  The "low fat" craze, promoted by the AMA and the Government has done a lot of damage to society.  In the years that I have been taking 2 teaspoons of Omega-3 fish oil daily, I have noticed a remarkable improvement in my mood and health.  

If everyone supplemented with at least 2 gram of Omega-3's and 5000 IUs of Vitamin D, we would solve a whole boatload of problems and, I believe, cut the overall cost of medical care by a huge amount.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Flax seed oil and lots of salmon.
Omega 3's are the schitz
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife just picked up some Ubiquinol the other day (CoQ 10) and is picking up some Omega 3's this week, too.

HH
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Kacer!  Haven't seen you post in ages.

+1000000 on Omega oils.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 8:58:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I agree with it.  The "low fat" craze, promoted by the AMA and the Government has done a lot of damage to society.  In the years that I have been taking 2 teaspoons of Omega-3 fish oil daily, I have noticed a remarkable improvement in my mood and health.  

If everyone supplemented with at least 2 gram of Omega-3's and 5000 IUs of Vitamin D, we would solve a whole boatload of problems and, I believe, cut the overall cost of medical care by a huge amount.

Did you say "Teaspoons"!!! Capsules my friend, capsules.... Must taste awful...
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#7]

And what are we going to do about Toxoplasmosis? The brain parasite that up to 65% of the world is infected with and is linked to serious Psychological disorders, reduced reaction and reflexes, and miscarriages. I beginning to think there is a direct correlation with toxoplasmosis and liberalism. For example 88% of France is infected.

Maybe we should be thinking about the Cat Apocalypse more so than the Zombie Apocalypse.

Link Posted: 9/4/2009 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry but no, I take Carlson's lemon flavored oil in liquid form and it doesn't taste bad at all.  Love the omega 3's.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Omega 3's are the schitz

I thought Flax seed oil was a bad choice.  But I don't remember why.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Omega 3's are the schitz

There is some question that it will convert to EPA and DHA efficiently.  In fish oil, the conversion is not necessary and you are more guaranteed EPA and DHA.  There is a question as to whether or not that concern is valid now, though.  I take fish oil (lemon flavored, yum) and ground flax seeds.  Blended with vanilla whey and water and Green Vibrance and it's darn tasty.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Omega 3's are the schitz

Link Posted: 9/4/2009 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I take it every day in fish oil pills. No homicide yet!
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I take it every day in fish oil pills. No homicide yet!

I need to get more.  Has anyone ever tried these before?

http://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Fish-Oil-Omega-3/dp/B000EQU726/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1225263189&sr=8-2

I also have  a tbsp of extra virgin olive oil a day.

Link Posted: 9/4/2009 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I suspect that in the future we'll learn to start repairing neurological disorders and brain damage with the help of supplements such as Omega 3 and Ginkgo Biloba. It's damn good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
PLEASE read the WHOLE ARTICLE I know 1/2 of you don't like me...

Don't like you....hell, sweetie, I didn't know you were still active on the site. Just the other day I thought "What the hell ever happened to Kacer?"

Glad to see you didn't fall off a cliff or something.

Ummm... "Active" is overstating.... some !@#$%^ shoots up a campus or something similar, I get VERY pissed because I've been saying there's a link between "violence" and the severe deficiency of omega 3's for some time... including domestic violence, mass (non-governmental) homicides etc... and I end up here checking up on who/what and what I can hit poll-wise to shut down the gun grabbers...
And I put in my "time" on firearms and was looking up... and needed to go do the omega 3's...(for instance,  giving a lecture Sunday on them to an MS group.)

But firearms rights is a close second and will be there if things start to seriously turn the other way ;)

Quoted:
Quoted:
Omega 3's are the schitz

Because big Pharma has tried to link it to any number of adverse effects... funny that the "studies" are poorly designed,  BARELY better than "hand-picked"  anecdotal "evidence" compilations... HOWEVER that being said, the ALA [the omega 3 "version" found in flax oil] (they think) is not used much by the body EXCEPT to be converted in the liver into DHA and EPA and our livers... per studies (that do appear credible) we do not do very well.

DHA is used to surround EVERY cell in the body... ALL of 'em...every skin cell, every liver, brain, bone +++ CELL so LOTS.

And basically the body mainly uses DHA and EPA to "do stuff" (LOTS of stuff) where they've found little that ala is "used for" except, as I said MAKE EPA and DHA. BUT I've had shitloads of people male and female feel better taking the omega 3's in whatever form, and MOST go with the flax.... ya know how muscles atrophy if you don't use 'em? My GUESS (and is just a guess) is that if our livers do not/have not been converting ALA into DHA and EPA it looses that ability... or at least doesn't do it well/efficiently until it's "exercised" and I personally do better on the flax seed oil, and IMO is both safer (no mercury issues in Flax) and cheaper. So... <shrug>

And I read somewhere that MALES livers only convert like 1% of ALA into DHA/EPA... and females like 10% (which, yeah better, but still sucks).  And my suspicion is that women do better because they typically "make whole babies" outta a few cells found in the egg and sperm.... and EVERY CELL surrounded by DHA...  BUT I find it odd that MOST auto-immune diseases have a MUCH higher % in women than men... so EITHER "making (or rather developing) babies is quite "hard" omega 3-wise on women OR the conversion % not that important (I've never been pregnant, let alone given birth). MY opinion is more a "genetics" thing if you personally will feel better on ALA or a DHA/EPA combo oil... just at least be on ONE a month (preferably 6 months to reach a reasonable "baseline" then for another 6 months switch between the 2 types (keeping brands consistent at least between the 2 types).  just guessing but if your ancestral background was "fishermen" types and/or lived in costal areas where fish was a staple... probly will do better w/ fish oil... if "inland" where they did NOT get much in the way of fish often/at all... then probably will do fine possibly better on the flax.... (also I like the flax because it has some ommega 6's and 9's also... our body CAN produce omega 9's and have not yet researched this out yet...so maybe nothing... but a little voice inside says that's "something")

Just IF you choose fish oil, make sure you get same amount of omega 3's ROUGHLY 3G/fish oil = 2G/flax seed oil in OMEGA 3's....

Quoted:
I suspect that in the future we'll learn to start repairing neurological disorders and brain damage with the help of supplements such as Omega 3 and Ginkgo Biloba. It's damn good stuff.

Yeah... I'm not so "wild" about the ginko BUT that is because w/ the MS I have a compromised BBB (Blood brain barrier) at least this is my assumption.... because I tried that early on in the MS and it felt like I was dripping acid (like battery acid) on my brain... BUT as it is likely all healed up/repaired now... I might give it another go ;)
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Kacer, you know about Vitamin D and MS, I assume?
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I use Carlson's MedOmega, 2800 mg per teaspoon, equal parts of EPA 1400mg, DHA 1400mg, mild orange flavor.

In your opinion, am I taking enough at 1 teaspoon per day?
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By Kacer:
Quoted:

Yeah... I'm not so "wild" about the ginko BUT that is because w/ the MS I have a compromised BBB (Blood brain barrier) at least this is my assumption.... because I tried that early on in the MS and it felt like I was dripping acid (like battery acid) on my brain... BUT as it is likely all healed up/repaired now... I might give it another go ;)

Ginkgo is kinda weird, but once it kicks in it's amazing. When I first starting using it last year (I go off and on it) the stuff gave me headaches and I felt light headed. After some period of time(not sure how long), it felt like something got knocked loose in my brain. Like someone shoved a pipe cleaner through my brain and broke through up all the stoppages that were clogging and blocking up my brain. After that EVERY thought and every sense was clearer than before.  I could hear better, I could think faster and more accurately ect.  My entire brain was working and processing things it had previously been unable to do fully. I was truly awake for the first time in years.

My experience with it has convinced me that Ginkgo is something that people with neurological problems will eventually use help repair and rebuild their brain and nervous system. I don't think it'll fix anything in and of itself. I just think that it's ability to increase brain functioning will speed up the ability for the brain to repair and rebuild itself correctly. I hope to do some research based on my ideas sometime in the future.

Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Trying the paleolithic diet?
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
And what are we going to do about Toxoplasmosis? The brain parasite that up to 65% of the world is infected with and is linked to serious Psychological disorders, reduced reaction and reflexes, and miscarriages. I beginning to think there is a direct correlation with toxoplasmosis and liberalism. For example 88% of France is infected.

Maybe we should be thinking about the Cat Apocalypse more so than the Zombie Apocalypse.

wtf? yet another reason to hate cats. is there a way to cure that shit?
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#21]
How about , 10% of your brain is Omega 3's.

Link Posted: 9/4/2009 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry but no, I take Carlson's lemon flavored oil in liquid form and it doesn't taste bad at all.  Love the omega 3's.

do you keep that stuff in the fridge and let it get cloudy or out in the room temp air?
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Those fish oil capsules are TOO big to swallow.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Concerning the flax seed oil, while it is a potent source of omega 3 fatty acids and a soluble fiber called lignan.

It does indeed possess many healthful attributes while out performing many traditional sources of fiber and omega 3, it is not without potential problems for some though.

One is the fact that the Omega 3 fatty acids it contains are fairly potent phytoestrogens.

These substances bind with estrogen receptor sites in the body and sometimes cause some unwanted side effect such a breast tenderness or swelling in males.

The soluble fiber Lignan is an excellent way of getting dietary fiber but is also very good at binding to circulating testosterone and eliminating it from the body. This may not be a good idea for men with low testosterone numbers.

I often wonder when reading threads about low testosterone numbers how many are caused by low cholesterol and high fiber diets.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#25]
2.5 g per day here.

I do the zone labs capsules, and I hear the lemon shots of oil aren't bad actually.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Kacer, you know about Vitamin D and MS, I assume?

Oh yeah... I was advocating the vitamin D when they were saying there was "no connection"... shit.... it's necessary for normal immune system function... and auto-immune diseases are by definition ABnormal immune system function... PLUS most tested w/ MS had deficiencies of Vitamin D... this REALLY can be complicated... but that's pretty simple, if ya ask me

Quoted:
I use Carlson's MedOmega, 2800 mg per teaspoon, equal parts of EPA 1400mg, DHA 1400mg, mild orange flavor.

In your opinion, am I taking enough at 1 teaspoon per day?

Well.. big pharma are putting pressure on the FDA to NOT set an RDA... so it's rather debateable... See (and I HATED Bush Jr. so this is likely one of the, if not THE ONLY time anyone will see me praise him...) President Bush "W"... signed an EXECUTIVE ORDER mandating the FDA to set an RDA for Omega 3 fatty acids... he did this maybe... 2-3 months before the terrorists hit NY/D in 2001... it required the FDA to set the RDA (recommended Daily Allowance) for Omega 3's by sometime in 2006 their answer? "Not enough information available to set an RDA."

And I've heard NO MORE about it... BUT seeing as how Vit D's RDA was at 400 (IU?)/day and NOW it's 800/day because "they" decided after ENORMOUS pressure from docs (also one of the few time's I'm likely to 'attaboy" docs ;) to up it... I think that was like 2-3 years of pressure...(at least)

SO even if FDA set something... I'd be wary...

My personal opinion is 1-3g/day (and take in whatever YOUR "morning" is to prevent insomnia-like episodes) for "healthy" individuals... and I suggest "playing around" with the 1-3 too see what YOUR body tells you about the different dosages.

IF you are someone who has (pretty much ANY ill-health)... any auto-immune, mental issues (ADD/ADHD, Bi-polar, schitzophrenia, depression etc.) have ANY "violent" tendencies (spousal/child physical abuse, run-in's w/the law) pretty much ANY disease where they do not know what CAUSES it but may or may not have "drugs" to treat symptoms (most of which, IMO do more  harm than good... ymmv), any cardio-vascular issues (but be aware if on ANY BLOOD THINNERS you REALLY need to TELL doc you wanna do the omega 3's and see if S/He needs to adjust your blood thinning medications to make that safe!) otherwise hemmoragic stroke is possibility... even high blood pressure, and someone HERE actually claims it helped his occular pressure and took him from"having" glaucoma to having a potential to have glaucoma.  (He was a happy camper :)  Last I heard his occular pressure was 15. SO REALLY any "complaints" re: body/mental health.

And most of the studies I've seen do between 3.5-8G of omega 3's/day... I'd START honestly at 1G/day that's where I was the 1st 2 years of my recovery... after ONE unscheduled attack of the MS I stepped MY "normal" dose to about 3G/day and during allergy season I increase it to 4 or 5 depending upon my symptoms and so far have seen NO ill effects friom any of it.

Unfortunately... until SOMEONE makes the FDA set an RDA... It's kinda a guessing game... just do it carefully, I suggest working w/your doc if they have a clue... or finding one who does... or is willing to find out...

Personallly I do NOT see ME ever going OVER 6G/day. and rarely over 3-4G/day... but I am still figuring out all the ins and outs of the MS. ;)  (I know a LOT, sure... but really, if I'm looking, and most days I am... I learn 3-12 new things daily about the body or disease...

Quoted:

Originally Posted By Kacer:
Quoted:

Ginkgo is kinda weird, but once it kicks in it's amazing. When I first starting using it last year (I go off and on it) the stuff gave me headaches and I felt light headed. After some period of time(not sure how long), it felt like something got knocked loose in my brain. Like someone shoved a pipe cleaner through my brain and broke through up all the stoppages that were clogging and blocking up my brain. After that EVERY thought and every sense was clearer than before.  I could hear better, I could think faster and more accurately ect.  My entire brain was working and processing things it had previously been unable to do fully. I was truly awake for the first time in years.

My experience with it has convinced me that Ginkgo is something that people with neurological problems will eventually use help repair and rebuild their brain and nervous system. I don't think it'll fix anything in and of itself. I just think that it's ability to increase brain functioning will speed up the ability for the brain to repair and rebuild itself correctly. I hope to do some research based on my ideas sometime in the future.

Yeah... I only tried it twice... I have a pretty high pain threshold... but that was a solid 5.... never experienced a 10... worst pain I've ever had was a 7... but I wanna get on octacosanol for another year or so before I try the ginko again... it IS my fave tree ;)  But the octacosanol should finish up any other areas where I have an damage to the BBB (I'm hoping) and then I'd like to try it again... good to know what you experienced tho, TY :)

Quoted:
Trying the paleolithic diet?

IMO always a good idea processed foods are significant part of what's killing us ....

Quoted:

Hmmm... I thought it was lots higher I've read a wide range an NO CLUE who's right but never saw that low a %... I've seen 40% (lowest) and like 80% (highest)  

do you keep that stuff in the fridge and let it get cloudy or out in the room temp air?
View Quote

Umm.. I keep mine in the freezer... and as I break one open ever now and then to put into the cat's wet food, I know it comes out LIQUID (but yeah, kinda cloudy)... I suggest everyone at LEAST keep in fridge... heat, light (white) and oxygen all destroy/alter the omega 3's and make them rancid/unfriendly to the body...

Quoted:
Those fish oil capsules are TOO big to swallow.
View Quote

Damn, man! The flax seed ones are just as big and I usually pop all 6 and take in one swallow...
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Concerning the flax seed oil, while it is a potent source of omega 3 fatty acids and a soluble fiber called lignan.

It does indeed possess many healthful attributes while out performing many traditional sources of fiber and omega 3, it is not without potential problems for some though.

One is the fact that the Omega 3 fatty acids it contains are fairly potent phytoestrogens.

These substances bind with estrogen receptor sites in the body and sometimes cause some unwanted side effect such a breast tenderness or swelling in males.

The soluble fiber Lignan is an excellent way of getting dietary fiber but is also very good at binding to circulating testosterone and eliminating it from the body. This may not be a good idea for men with low testosterone numbers.

I often wonder when reading threads about low testosterone numbers how many are caused by low cholesterol and high fiber diets.

Just my 2 cents.

Hmm... I THINK a doc who sounded spot-on with all the other things I know about flax/fish oil noted something similar.... but also, lignans are phytochemicals that will not allow cancer cells to reproduce...   http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-991-FLAXSEED.aspx?activeIngredientId=991&activeIngredientName=FLAXSEED&source=2  So ya wanna be uber hairy and deaf by age 60, and probably die of cancer? I'd avoid flax, but the fish might at least HELP delay all that ;)   But I think all the "omg it has  an estrogen-like component!!!" iskinda a "the skyy is falling type deal... but I have not looked into THAT much... if anyone's concerned I'd encourage them to dig in (use "abstract" in your searches to get more scientific sites, and fewer "buy my crap" sites.)

Link Posted: 9/5/2009 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Fish oil FTW. I've been putting a teaspoon of it in with my protein twice a day, and have noticed my joints feel A LOT better than they used to. That's a pretty big deal when lifting heavy 4 days a week. After reading the article, I don't know that I'd say that I'm less irritable/angry since I started taking fish oil. Of course, I wasn't really taking a baseline and paying attention either.....  I do believe that there could be a decrease in quite a few different health issues in the US if more people were taking the stuff. It's good shit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:58:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Omega 3's are the schitz

There is some question that it will convert to EPA and DHA efficiently.  In fish oil, the conversion is not necessary and you are more guaranteed EPA and DHA.  There is a question as to whether or not that concern is valid now, though.  I take fish oil (lemon flavored, yum) and ground flax seeds.  Blended with vanilla whey and water and Green Vibrance and it's darn tasty.

Yeah, actually while searching for something ELSE (always find the best stuff that way) for that presentation I gave yesterday I came across this:

So the body ALSO needs enough Zinc, Magnesium, Vit B6, Vit B3, and Vit C to convert from ALA (alpha linolenic acid) to EPA (eicosapentanoic acid)

But I get those too... which COULD be why I do as well as I do w/them....(but I didn't know until..., 2-3 days ago that was needed... I knew they were IMPORTANT..... (which is why I make sure I get) but not THAT "why"

Also makes me wonder if the reason the cenversions in that study I read years ago about women 10% and men 1% were due to dificiencies iin one or more of the req'd I'd LOVE to see a study where they supplimented w/ not ONLY the ALA to observe the conversion rates but also with the proper amounts of enough Zinc, Magnesium, Vit B6, Vit B3, and Vit C. look at how our livers do then ;)
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:44:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Sorry brah, tried reading the article but stopped at the 'it's not really their fault' part.  

I take fish oil too though...  But don't notice much.  Will check how much DHA and EPA I'm getting.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 6:12:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No Wonder the Zombies love them, they are Omega 3 Deprived...

This thread is like  and then ends up like

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 6:28:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Yeah and in 10 years they are going to say Omega 3 is bad because it causes sterility, egomania, ADD or some other bullshit.

I don't eat fish or take any supplements and I haven't killed anyone....yet. Threaten my life and that will changed whether or not I'm hopped up on Omega 3.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#33]
I read this thread, trying to take as much information as I could. I have zero experience with this stuff.

So if you had to pick three main things to use, what would it be? Multi-vitamin, Omega-3 (brand?), and? I guess what I mean is, what combo really does appear to work, and is a good regiment to get on?
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I read this thread, trying to take as much information as I could. I have zero experience with this stuff.

So if you had to pick three main things to use, what would it be? Multi-vitamin, Omega-3 (brand?), and? I guess what I mean is, what combo really does appear to work, and is a good regiment to get on?

I use.......

MegaFood Optimum Multi

Carlsons MedOmega 1 teaspoon / day

CoQ10 100mg softgel

A.C. Grace Vitamin E 400iu

This is like the Rolls Royce of supplement Brands

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Good info here, thanks for starting the thread Kacer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I take Omega 3s myself.

A word to the wise: If you get it via fish oil pills, spend the extra buck or two and get the burp-free stuff.

UGH that was awful. Awful!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I take Omega 3s myself.

A word to the wise: If you get it via fish oil pills, spend the extra buck or two and get the burp-free stuff.

Fish-burp is nasty.  I used to get a little heartburn every once in a while.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:48:33 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I take Omega 3s myself.

It may be nasty, but it's a great weapon as well.

When my 7 year old  gets a little frisky, one good burp blown her way brings her to her knees.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:53:51 AM EDT
[#39]
tag
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I take Omega 3s myself.

It may be nasty, but it's a great weapon as well.
When my 7 year old  gets a little frisky, one good burp blown her way brings her to her knees.

I knew  a kid in the 6th grade who we nicknamed "Death Breath."  It wasn't from fish-burp.  It was because he didn't brush his teeth.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
PLEASE read the WHOLE ARTICLE I know 1/2 of you don't like me...

Don't like you....hell, sweetie, I didn't know you were still active on the site. Just the other day I thought "What the hell ever happened to Kacer?"

Glad to see you didn't fall off a cliff or something.

LOL +1 Glad to see your back.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't know anything about a particular kind of O-3, but I take two capsules in the AM and two in the PM.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:57:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Well... I DO know from experience w/ my MS that BRAND does matter. (And my ex's diabetes).

All I can say for SURE is back in 2002-3 Swanson omega 3's were LOUSY and that Nature's Made Flax oil was/is pretty good and Nature's Bounty is very good.

I know checking out stuff on consumer labs that Nature's Bounty Brands typically get a thumbs up (as does Centrum's supplements... and some others I've never looked into). Never seen reports on their  flax oil, but the precautions they take to get all the omega 3's they can into their softgels (Nitrogen blanket to avoid oxygen exposure, cold room to avoid heat exposure and yellow light to avoid white light exposure) is encouraging and I have largely recovered from pretty debilitating symptoms re: Multiple Sclerosis first on Nature's Made (first couple years) then even more on Nature's Bounty (since somewhere in 2003 or 2004).

I've found _I_ do better on the flax seed oil... plus it's cheaper and no burps of death ;)  SOME  may do better on the fish oil OR a combination of the Flax and the fish. Unfortunately it will be a trial and error thing. Try to stick with one "brand" or type at least a month, and try changing it up 2-3 X just to help determine if it was the supplement or some other factor that caused improvement/decline.

I'd say (again) that about a gram of OMEGA 3's (not 1g/fish as this is MAYBE  0.32g of omega 3's and NOT 1g/ flax seed oil as this is roughly 0.58g and this is also brand-dependent but typically these are the #'s I see) so read the labels: here's the various forms of omega 3's (that I am aware of):

List of n−3 fatty acids

This table lists several different names for the most common n−3 fatty acids found in nature.

Common name                                Lipid name Chemical name
                                                      16:3 (n−3) all-cis-7,10,13-hexadecatrienoic acid
α-Linolenic acid (ALA)                        18:3 (n−3) all-cis-9,12,15-octadecatrienoic acid
Stearidonic acid (STD)                       18:4 (n−3) all-cis-6,9,12,15-octadecatetraenoic acid
Eicosatrienoic acid (ETE)            20:3 (n−3) all-cis-11,14,17-eicosatrienoic acid
Eicosatetraenoic acid (ETA)          20:4 (n−3) all-cis-8,11,14,17-eicosatetraenoic acid
Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)           20:5 (n−3) all-cis-5,8,11,14,17-eicosapentaenoic acid
Docosapentaenoic acid (DPA),
Clupanodonic acid                         22:5 (n−3) all-cis-7,10,13,16,19-docosapentaenoic acid
Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)         22:6 (n−3) all-cis-4,7,10,13,16,19-docosahexaenoic acid
Tetracosapentaenoic acid                 24:5 (n−3) all-cis-9,12,15,18,21-docosahexaenoic acid
Tetracosahexaenoic acid
(Nisinic acid)                                         24:6 (n−3) all-cis-6,9,12,15,18,21-tetracosenoic acid

So on the labels will read: ALA, EPA, DHA (most often) and/or STD (no funny comments, boys), ETE, ETA, DPA and/or possibly Tetracosapentaenoic acid, Tetracosahexaenoic acid  and/or Nisinic acid.

Any and/or all of those should add up to at LEAST 1GG/day for your dose... and if leading researchers are right... maybe as high as 3-6G/day... but REALLY anything over 4 I'd seriously want to okay with an intelligent medical professional first AND Omega 3's prevent blood platelet aggregation so if on ANY blood thinners REALLY you need to check with doc/med pro before even starting to see if s/he needs to adjust your medication before you start the omega 3's.

Only other contraindication I have found in my research is don't take late in the day UNLESS you don't want to sleep, because the omega 3's CAN cause insomnia-like occurrences if taken too late in day/before bedtime. I just take mine in the morning. AND if I need to get up earlier than "normal" for something, I usually take a couple before I turn out the lights to sleep... BUT oftentimes this will result in only about 6 hours of sleep that night... just FYI... YMMV.

Now I know that doesn't REALLY "answer" your Q...

If You do what _I_ do... flax seed oil or ALA... ya also need enough of OTHER nutrients to CONVERT the ALA to the more "useable/used" EPA and DHA... this should give you an idea...

I also supplement with those tho and am sure I get "enough" to allow my liver to do all the necessary conversions...

SO if going the flaxseed oil or ALA route, I'd STRONGLY suggest at least a good multi-vitamin (as I mentioned, consumer labs consistently gives Centrum's brands A's, so... I'd go that route.  AND   to anyone/everyone I've suggested flax seed oil to I only came across the conversion information above maybe a week ago. BUT I know many/most of you have also seen benefits from it too... just you'd likely see MORE benefit if you see to it you get plenty of these nutrients also. ;)

Hope that helps...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:05:03 AM EDT
[#44]
They used to say all the same things about vitamin C, E, etc. etc.,  But studies show them to do nothing at best and may even be harmful.  Just show me the peer reviewed medical journal articles that show a link between homicide and omega 3 and I'll eat the skin of 5 salmon every day.   This thread reads like a late night infomercial.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:34:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
but a theory I had regarding violence (gun or otherwise, but had specifically focused upon a lot of the types of events that tend to invigorate the "ban guns" idiots... Columbine, Virginia Tech etc...

One thing that throws me in a tailspin is when someone opens a parenthesis and doesn't close it.  I wonder what they meant by it,a nd re-read the sentence several times just trying to grasp what was intended.  

And for the record, I try to take Omega-3 supplements...but I am not very consistent.  I can do it for at most a week before I start to forget...and then a month passes by...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:35:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Tag for more reading later.

_MaH

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:40:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sorry brah, tried reading the article but stopped at the 'it's not really their fault' part.  

I take fish oil too though...  But don't notice much.  Will check how much DHA and EPA I'm getting.

Not "brah"... sis... but np. And I'm NOT into "it's not their fault" BS either... but I would say not TOTALLY... but ONLY because on one of my "experimental" withdrawals of the omega 3's I snapped (verbal) at my grandmother... and I knew I was ABOUT to, and did not WANT to, and tried to NOT... but I REALLY could NOT stop it. Now I KNOW it's a HUGE difference between homicide and verbal snippy-ness. But the thing is I really could not STOP it... and we are really just a big chemistry experiment of sorts... okay maybe not TOTALLY... but largely. And until you experience it....even if thankfully on such a TINY scale as I did... it's REALLY hard to understand, or even really believe.

AND I think there are also several OTHER factors/character flaws that would play into mass homicide or spousal abuse are really most other things that are morally and/or legally an issue. So it IS their "fault" but there are SOME things also contributing... and wouldn't it be a GOOD thing to understand WHAT those are and make sure WE do not have at least THOSE things going wrong in our own lives?

Man ya gotta learn to take what you can make use of and leave the rest.... at LEAST ya should learn to tolerate it enough so you can see what the enemy is up to... not saying ya have to buy into their "interpretation" of the facts...

I've just seen SO many documentaries where the criminal says they knew what they were doing and didn't want to but couldn't stop themselves, or they wish they could stop their activities.... and yeah,... sure some if not MOST of those are "taking the easy way out" "Lack of intelligence" etc... BUT if even 5% is the lack of omega 3's and they GET them... maybe that 5% is all THEY will need to NOT re-offend... Maybe that will BUY the 2 extra seconds of impulse control they need to "walk away" instead of being a fucking idiot.

Anyway, I have to say _I_ didn't really see much on the fish oil either... THOUGH some DO. You might wanna try the ALA see if there's a diff.. OR seeing how MUCH fish oil is EPA/DHA and taking enough to at LEAST get 1-2G/day in AM of the EPA/DHA (combined) and see if you see any changes in a month or 3... and realize changes LIKELY to be subtle unless something is WRONG in a significant way... if largely heath-aches/pains wise You have few/no complaints... you probably wouldn't notice too much unless you are uber observant....  it took me over 6 months to "notice" I was getting better (aside from my eyesight going from 20-1000 to 20/40-20/100). But then I REALLY was just "going through the motions" back then... I wasn't expecting to notice a difference... IMO I was dying and the regimen I adopted was an educated guess at what MIGHT help, I hoped. And I got lucky and didn't die, even got quite a bit better. Even helped some other folks, or so they tell me.

Besides I want to re-focus the gun grabbers on the actual CAUSE(S) of the events than usually cause their panties getting in a twist rather than them focusing their efforts on the SYMPTOMS (guns "out there") going after the ACTUAL underlying CAUSES (omega 3 deficiencies, lousy home environments WTF ever).

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:49:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
but a theory I had regarding violence (gun or otherwise, but had specifically focused upon a lot of the types of events that tend to invigorate the "ban guns" idiots... Columbine, Virginia Tech etc...

One thing that throws me in a tailspin is when someone opens a parenthesis and doesn't close it.  I wonder what they meant by it,a nd re-read the sentence several times just trying to grasp what was intended.  

And for the record, I try to take Omega-3 supplements...but I am not very consistent.  I can do it for at most a week before I start to forget...and then a month passes by...

Sorry... should have been: but a theory I had regarding violence (gun or otherwise) but had specifically focused upon .....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:10:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They used to say all the same things about vitamin C, E, etc. etc.,  But studies show them to do nothing at best and may even be harmful.  Just show me the peer reviewed medical journal articles that show a link between homicide and omega 3 and I'll eat the skin of 5 salmon every day.   This thread reads like a late night infomercial.    

and what thread in GD does NOT read like a late night infomercial???;)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18309762

Excerpt from MSNBC article:
Lately, the answers have been coming in thick and fast. In one study of 231 inmates medicated with fish oil in a British prison, assaults dropped by a third. Comparing homicide rates in five countries, Dr. Hibbeln found that the rising consumption of omega-6 fatty acids correlated with a hundredfold increase in death by homicide, even though access to firearms went down in all the countries surveyed except the United States. A paper published in the Journal of the American Medical Association concluded that even a modest increase in the consumption of omega-3-rich fish reduced the risk of coronary death by 36 percent. A 2007 study by the National Institutes of Health found a positive correlation between mothers' consumption of omega-3s during pregnancy and the fine motor skills and verbal IQs of their children.

From Homicide to Happiness - A Commentary on Omega-3 Fatty Acids in Human Society

CRIME Times

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 83, No. 6, S1483-1493S, June 2006 © 2006 American Society for Nutrition

Oh and not sure the SKIN of the salmon will do you much good...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:03:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The "low fat" craze, promoted by the AMA and the Government has done a lot of damage to society.  

Yes on the first part.

On the second part - even if fatasses rook omega-3s and vit D, they would still be fat and predisposed to diabetes and hypertension.  The slight reductions of heart attack risk would really be only delaying the heart attacks, not really preventing them.  To this end, it could end up costing even more because people with lifestyle diseases would just live a little longer and cost even more due to more medicines, more doctor visits, more heart caths.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top