Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2009 7:19:17 PM EDT
I've been meaning to put a pole up since we got the house.  I figured a 15' pole would be good, but I didn't have much of an option.  

My front yard is ~20' from porch to curb.  I need to put it 5'+ from the porch so the 3'x5' stars and stripes doesn't hit the overhang.

Should I do the standard bullet, razor, and match in the base?

When I told my wife I wanted a flag pole she asked me if I would lower it each night, I said "until I get the light put up."  I asked her if she would pull out the trumpet and play reveille and taps.  She said "NO".    It would be hilarious to get the vets down the street and the active duty next door to muster.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
dunno... depends...    would you touch it with a 10 foot pole??
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

first answer is usually the best
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#3]

When I told my wife I wanted a flag pole she asked me if I would lower it each night, I said "until I get the light put up."  I asked her if she would pull out the trumpet and play reveille and taps.  She said "NO".  

Link Posted: 9/2/2009 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I just don't want to knock down low flying planes with my pole.  The AF flies over on regular basis.

Quoted:

When I told my wife I wanted a flag pole she asked me if I would lower it each night, I said "until I get the light put up."  I asked her if she would pull out the trumpet and play reveille and taps.  She said "NO".  

ETA: You don't have the same dialogue with your significant other?  I mean, her parents paid good money to give her lessons for ~8 years.  She was 1st chair in band.  Might as well put that dust collector to use once and a while.

ETA2:
Hopefully I get this planted this weekend with photos.  I need to find a good State flag.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 5:26:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Now she won't let me put it directly out front... she wants it on the NW corner of the house.  MS Paint time?
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#6]
HOA told me I could not display my 20' pole permanently.

I then petitioned them for a 20' removable pole...

It stands proudly in my landscaping just to the right of my walkway.

My wife's only complaint has been that the 3' X 5' flag is too small!

It was the best alteration to my house to date with very few others even close...

Link Posted: 9/4/2009 5:32:00 AM EDT
[#7]
too much?  you're asking arfcom is something is too much?

lols.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 5:33:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Must have pics of wife for pole height assessment.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 25' and it looks great

Stay away from the telescopic ones.

That is what I have and I had to tape them
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 6:20:04 AM EDT
[#10]
being the redneck out of town type I found a old antena pole out back in my yard dug it up and pulled it cut the top of it off and welded a ball on top "2" tow ball"  ha haa thats redneck
slaped some paint on it and stuck it in the ground and call it good....

the wife laughed when i told her I welded a trailer towing ball on top....

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I put it up.  Pulled an executive decision while she was gone.    

It's a lot taller than I thought it would be.  

Lets see if I can get some photos uploaded without compromising PERSEC too much.

I'll try another photo later.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#12]
no it isn't
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:49:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is what we like to call a "military legend"

It has no basis in fact but it has been told for so long that a lot of people believe it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
being the redneck out of town type I found a old antena pole out back in my yard dug it up and pulled it cut the top of it off and welded a ball on top "2" tow ball"  ha haa thats redneck
slaped some paint on it and stuck it in the ground and call it good....

the wife laughed when i told her I welded a trailer towing ball on top....

http://i28.tinypic.com/qrf3vo.jpg

That is what I used.  They also work well on the end of homemade cannons.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has no basis in fact but it has been told for so long that a lot of people believe it.

Probably a good thing.  The ground was too hard and rocky to bury a pistol below the base and the truck was one solid piece.

6-10" down wasn't too bad.  After that it was all hard packed clay with rocks thrown in.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:00:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

YOU LIE!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#17]
My wife hasn't complained about the 20' flag pole I put up.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Mine kicks ass...

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:26:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YOU LIE!

I wanted to go on base and push one of their many flag poles over and see.  You know, to make sure I got it exactly right.  I think the security police would have something to say about it, though.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YOU LIE!

Suuuure I do. So if you were the last man standing, you would go to the flagpole with no cover, dig up a pistol, climp to the top of the flagpole and retrieve a match, razor blade, and bullet, shred the flag with razor blade, burn it with ONE match and then shoot yourself with your one remaining bullet?

When was the last time you climbed a flagpole?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:06:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Here's my opsec approved photo of my 20' pole:

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been contemplating this very topic for a while now.  My house is down over a bank from the road out front.  Iwas thinking of going 30', but even I'm wondering if that is "too much".  Mainly, I'm wanting to use a very big flag as my house is on top of a hill, but that may require some tree surgery for clearence.

ETA: where are you guys getting your poles ?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I've been contemplating this very topic for a while now.  My house is down over a bank from the road out front.  Iwas thinking of going 30', but even I'm wondering if that is "too much".  Mainly, I'm wanting to use a very big flag as my house is on top of a hill, but that may require some tree surgery for clearence.

http://www.eventflags.com/

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, because the items are concealed in the truck, not under the pole.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I got the US made 20ft heavy duty residential pole from these guy. They also have a wide selection of US made flags.

http://www.united-states-flag.com/reingrfl.html

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I got mine at Lowes.  If you're in a windy area, I'd avoid their 20' aluminum.  It works for me since the house blocks most of the wind.

Grandpa got an old light pole ~30' tall mounted a cap and pulley at the top and a cleat at the bottom.  He put it on a hillside with a 40+' drop to the road.  It looks badass.  You can almost see it from the PA turnpike.  He just needs a bigger flag.  

Quoted:

I got the US made 20ft heavy duty residential pole from these guy. They also have a wide selection of US made flags.

Thanks, I just picked up an Ohio flag.  Pretty good price, too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Go bigger

30 x 60 American Flag

I'd definitely take down an airplane with one of those.

http://www.davearbogast.com/the-dave-arbogast-american-flag.htm

Since its creation in 2003, Dave Arbogast Buick Pontiac GMC, has been proud to fly one of the largest    American Flag's in the country, and to our knowledge and research, the [flaghi.png] largest in Ohio.  The flagpole stands 158 feet tall, and the flag itself measures 30 by 50 feet!    It is because of its sheer size that the   flag can be seen flying on a clear day at distances of up to 4 miles away.

Due to the large size of the flag and the ever-changing Ohio weather, it is replaced an average of 2-3 times per month due to tearing and fading.  While to some this may seem a bit extreme, we take great pride in caring our flag and its purpose.

We feel that it is a small way to show our gratitude to our Veterans, and to share with all who see it the immense pride we take in honoring our great nation.  For those who have called and written to us sharing your thanks and stories, we thank you and honor you as well, and are pleased to continue this tradition.

So the next time you are in the area, be sure to have a look for yourselves.  Our flag will be there flying high, in all of its glory, 365 days a year.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:58:29 PM EDT
[#29]
If you put it in permanently, check what your codes, if any, are.  You don't want to put it in, in concrete and find out you have to move it.  And if you are going to put it in permanent, pit in two pieces of channel stock.  Bolt it in between them.  that way if you break the halyard or otherwise need to get to the top.  You pull one or the other bolts and pivot it down.  That you can do by yourself.  If it's permanent and not able to be tilted how will you replace the halyard?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

When I told my wife I wanted a flag pole she asked me if I would lower it each night, I said "until I get the light put up."  I asked her if she would pull out the trumpet and play reveille and taps.  She said "NO".    It would be hilarious to get the vets down the street and the active duty next door to muster.  

If I lived near you, and you went to the effort of actually raising and lowering our flag every day, I'd be damned sure to stop by and render a salute

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:05:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
HOA told me I could not display my 20' pole permanently.

I then petitioned them for a 20' removable pole...

It stands proudly in my landscaping just to the right of my walkway.

My wife's only complaint has been that the 3' X 5' flag is too small!

It was the best alteration to my house to date with very few others even close...

FUUUUUCCCCK your HOA. We would have had some serious words, but I suppose your method works just as well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Ideally, the base of a stationary flag will be higher than the building's highest point.

The base of the flag should never be lower than the roofline's lowest point.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:23:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you put it in permanently, check what your codes, if any, are.  You don't want to put it in, in concrete and find out you have to move it.  And if you are going to put it in permanent, pit in two pieces of channel stock.  Bolt it in between them.  that way if you break the halyard or otherwise need to get to the top.  You pull one or the other bolts and pivot it down.  That you can do by yourself.  If it's permanent and not able to be tilted how will you replace the halyard?

Mine is in concrete, but they provided a sleeve so I can lift it out.

Grandpa's needs a cherry picker to get up to the top.

Quoted:
If I lived near you, and you went to the effort of actually raising and lowering our flag every day, I'd be damned sure to stop by and render a salute

I already got a light for it.  My shift is so f*d I would be able to retire the colors before dark 1/2 the week.  

Quoted:
Ideally, the base of a stationary flag will be higher than the building's highest point.

The base of the flag should never be lower than the roofline's lowest point.

So you're saying I need a taller pole?  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:27:45 AM EDT
[#34]
The title of this thread got me all excited, then I saw it was about hanging flags off of.  I still think Barney Frank could probably handle a 20-ft pole though...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:56:02 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a question.  There's a house down the road from me that has the US flag up on a flag pole.  Except the flag is in horrible condition and is faded and tattered.  I'm not sure if the people even live there.  Isn't it illegal for someone to display our flag like this?  Should I go take it down and burn it for a proper disposal?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:02:46 AM EDT
[#36]
It should be properly disposed of when it is in bad shape....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:08:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a question.  There's a house down the road from me that has the US flag up on a flag pole.  Except the flag is in horrible condition and is faded and tattered.  I'm not sure if the people even live there.  Isn't it illegal for someone to display our flag like this?  Should I go take it down and burn it for a proper disposal?

Nope, the rules of flag etiquette are not legally binding for the public.

IMO, it would go against the meaning of the symbol if they were...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:09:14 AM EDT
[#38]
I just found this in the US Flag Code.  Looks like a HOA can not restrict anyone from displaying a flag...

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:13:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have a 25' and it looks great

Stay away from the telescopic ones.

That is what I have and I had to tape them

I have a 20' telescopic and have nothing but good things to say about it. I've had it for about eight years and there have been no issues whatsoever.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I just picked up an Ohio flag.  Pretty good price, too.

I got my flag in the mail very quick.  Unfortunately it is a printed flag, not sewn.  Last time I had one of these, it faded out in ~6 months.  We'll see how long this one lasts.

I already have a canon Santa Anna flag.  I'm afraid if it got to that point I wouldn't be sticking around.  I'm sure the local constabularies would like to trample my 2A rights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top