Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2002 4:42:15 PM EDT
I want to get a multi home gym and I don't know what to look for. Are there any brands that are recommended over others? I don't want to spend more than $1000. I need to get back in shape now that I am single again. [:D]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.bowflex.com/
Good units that compact pretty easily.  Of course, a small set of free weights for curls and such might be a good supplement.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I would try a few out. The rubber band or bow spring resistance machines provide a very different feel than iron weights or the traditional pully systems. The new styles are light and compact, but not very satisfying for me. I assume you have a bench press and free weights already. If not, I'd spend your money there first. LAter.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I work out a lot and I train my friends.  I would suggest not going with one of those canned gyms and instead going with a curl bar, two dumbells and a bench with incline decline ability.  If you don't have room for a full size bench press bench, all you need is a smaller bench like you would see in a real gym near the dumbells.  With the dumbells, curl bar and bench, you can get in shape easily or get jacked and huge (like me! [;)])  I get my free passes every other week at NYSC in the city, but inbetween I use all the above stated weights.  Adding in a 6"straight bar is ideal, but if space is a prob, the stuff above is good.  If you go with the weights, email me and I'll set up a plan for whatever desired results you want.

Keep in mind that real weights never go in and out of style!
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Two friends of mine got Bowflexes, and they're very happy with them. They paid right around a thousand bones for them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The words "multi home gym" are to a weightlifter what Bose is to an audiophile or Lorcin to a gunsmith.  A bad thing.  For your budget, you can get a nice power rack, a sturdy bench, a good olympic bar, and [i]enough[/i] weights.  With the power rack, you can safely bench press and do squats without a spotter.  Also, you can put the bar at a convenient place to start the lift by moving the pins.  I strongly recommend against a smith machine.  Watch someone bench pressing or squatting.   The bar does [b]not[/b] move in a straight line.  Do you really want a smith machine forcing you to do something unnatural?

The next question is which power rack?  About the cheapest thing on the market now is made by Body by Jake.  It's $200 and sold at Dick's.  It includes a cable attachment so you can do, for example, pulldowns and curls with the cable.  My great-nephew just bought one and likes it.  He only squats in the 300# range so I don't know how sturdy it is.  A better quality one is available from Body Solid([url]www.bodysolid.com[/url].  It's about $300 for just the rack and about another $200 for the cable attachment.  That's the rack I use.  I found it cheap at a yard sale!  More than once, I've dropped 400#+ on the safety bars without causing a problem.  Before lifting, I do a few 1/4 squats with 6 plates on each side (45# each * 6/side *2 sides + 65 bar=595#).  The pins hold the weight without a problem.

In case you don't know what a power rack looks like, here's a picture:
[img]http://www.bodysolid.com/showroom/freeweight/smith/wpr78.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually zoom, the multi that I was looking at was the body solid 1500s. The cheapest I have seen is $600. Ok, so someone point me in the right direction for a suitable bench.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.bowflex.com/[/url]
Good units that compact pretty easily.  Of course, a small set of free weights for curls and such might be a good supplement.
View Quote

Good suggestion. However, this equipment takes getting used to. Unlike free weights where resistance is immediate, bowflex the resistance builds. I think its more than $1000 though after all is said and done.

I suggest just joining a local gym and get a workout partner or else you'll never go.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't waste your time with cable machines and that Bowflex crap. When it comes to weight lifting, only dumbbells and barbells will do.

Get this - [url]http://129.41.60.44/ffo-pa/catalog.cfm?dest=itempg&itemid=288&secid=2&linkon=section&linkid=2[/url]

Then find yourself a good adjustable bench for it that has a spot for leg extensions and leg curls. You'll have an outstanding home gym for under $1000.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.bodysolid.com/showroom/freeweight/smith/wpr78.jpg[/img]
View Quote

LOL! I just ordered the same one!!! Go to [url]www.fitnessfactoryoutlet.com[/url] They have this one for $279 delivered. They're the Eric the Ammoman of fitness equipment! [:)]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Actually zoom, the multi that I was looking at was the body solid 1500s. The cheapest I have seen is $600. Ok, so someone point me in the right direction for a suitable bench.
View Quote

I just found a picture of it.  I'm sure it's a quality piece of equipment, but before you buy, make sure you're willing to give-up doing bench presses with a bar and without a spotter and squats if you buy that rather than a rack.  Other than leg curls and leg extensions, I don't see anything you can't do with a cheaper rack that you could with that multi with the cable attachment.  Also, make sure that 160# (the max as I remember it) is all you'll need with that equipment.

What kind of bench?  Flat or incline?  Any special requirements, like a lot of decline?  The BodySolid benches I've seen look pretty good.

If you do decide on a rack, you'll need to make sure whatever you buy will work in the rack.  Two problems I've found so far:  I bought a cheap $50 bench made by CAPS.  I didn't have $200 to blow on the Body Solid after spending $75 (hehe, I got a good deal) on the rack.  On my bench, the legs stick-out about four inches from each end.  So, when you push the bench into the rack, the flat on the bench ends four inches from the edge of the rack.  So when I'm bench pressing, my head and neck are not supported by the bench.  That is a major stain.  The second problem I've seen, on my great-nephew's bench, the part that inclines is so long that he can't push the bench far enough back into rack due to the cable attachment to position his shoulders under the bar.  If his torso was about four inches longer, he'd be fine.z
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#11]
How about something like this?
It's made by Powertec.
[img]http://www.homegymbynet.com/powertec_wb-ls.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top