Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2002 4:19:23 PM EDT
Does anyone out there own or have fired a Bushmaster Shorty AK or any other AR-15 with the AK74 muzzle brake on it? If so, would you mind putting your two cents in on it?

I am very close to buying a Bushmaster Shorty AK carbine and would like to hear from anyone out there with some first hand experience with this rifle or (the part that I am most concerned with) the AK74 muzzle brake.

How effective is it at reducing recoil and muzzle rise? How much extra noise does it put off? Do you personally recommend it?

Any first-hand info or comments on this brake or the Shorty AK itself would be very helpful; even a simple thumbs up or thumbs down would be appreciated. However, I already have plenty of second-hand information and am only interested in your personal experiences with this equipment. Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one and sold it. Felt recoil is already minimal with the AR15 by design. Muzzle rise has never been a problem for me.I'm about 6' 220lbs. The first time I shot the shorty AK, I didn't have my plugs in and I could feel the blast from behind the rifle.
Steve
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a BM 16 inch with the AK74 break.  It shoots great.  I don't think it it much louder than most .223s.  It is hard to judge muzzle rise because I have only shot it semi auto.  I shoot a 3 inch group at 100 yds hand held with factory sights (and I'm not all that good).  I think it is a great gun.  I put a green stock on it and it looks great with the muzzle break.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Thumbs up!

I wrenched up a "Shorty AK" kit for coyote hunting and plinking when I lived in Iowa.  You'll lose some velocity with the 14.5" tube and the permanently attached muzzle brake as opposed to the full 20" barrel.  But for the sheer fun of having a LEGAL 14.5" barrel with a silver soldered do-hickey on the end you can't beat it.

At dusk you will get some serious basketball sized muzzle flashes, but the noise isn't as bad as people say it is.  The first time I shot it was at some stupid-a$$ Iowegian designed public range that had the actual firing points located behind a earthen birm - that meant shooting through a concrete culvert.  The blast and noise was unbearable.  However, when I shot that carbine at a private range (sans stupid-a$$ed Iowegian widow woman safety device) it wasn't any louder than my Shorty 16" post-ban.

As for muzzle rise... that really isn't a problem with AR's anyhow.  Does it control muzzle rise?  I guess... the fact it that I never had a problem with muzzle rise in either the AR-15 of the M-16.

Some people like the Shorty AK carbine.  In fact, I love mine.  And some people hate them.  I guess you should ask yourself what do you intend to use it for.  Sorry.  FOR what do you intend to use your carbine?

Plinking?  If so, this little gem is just the ticket.

Serious target work?  Then it's not the weapon for you - although mine does fine at 100 yards.  

So, at least from me - Thumbs Up!  Go for it![;D]  
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the AK Shorty upper and sold it because I thought I wanted to go strictly flattop, but I liked it.
I've got the 16" Shorty now with the same brake and I love it.  Here's a thread from our bros over on the AK forum about this.
[url]http://ak.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?ID=51141[/url]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an AK brake on mine, and it makes one heck of a blast.  I was shooting from a rest, and after a few shots I notice I kept getting stung by sand in my face.  There were some sand bags a few inches under the muzzle, and the blast tore them open.  The noise is not that bad when shooting outdoors, but from a covered range it is unpleasant.

If I had it to do again, I would probably get the mini Y-comp.  It was not available when I bought my rifle.  As for recoil and rise, even an AR with a naked barrel is not very bad.  I only got a brake because I liked the look, and wanted something to protect the crown.

I vote thumbs down on the AK brake, but thumbs up on the shorty.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one that I screw on.
I swap it out with a vortex every now and then.
It works fine but for the most part I prefer the vortex.
There is a big sound differance.
It does seem to make me shoot a tad better but it aint a whole lot.
If I had to make a choice about a permanent one on a post ban it would be a hard choice.
They look cool,work well but the noise thing is a bit much.
I'm sure you'll be happy with what ever you end up with.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I put a Bushy AK74 brake on a 20" hbar, and cannot detect any significant drop in muzzle flip or recoil.  It is much louder.
I will replace the birdcage if I can find it...
My Bushy 16" flattop with Vortex feels about the same, FWIW.
-Ngog
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an AK brake on a Bushy M4 upper. It does work. Considering that the M4 config weighs a lot less than my 20" Hbar upper, the M4 surprisingly has much less recoil and almost zero muzzle rise. I have shot them both back to back switching uppers, and there is a measurable difference in recoil.

I don't notice any difference in sound between the brake and a plain crowned barrel. I think that the AK brake will bug your neighbors more than the shooter. As for flash, I have shot mine at dusk. It wasn't very big, about 7"long 3" in diameter and very diffuse. The only basketball sized flashes I've seen are from my Desert Eagle and class 3 AR's w/brake in full auto mode.

As advertised, the AK74 brake removes about 70% of the felt recoil. The AR doesn't kick very much to begin with. But it's kinda cool to have a rifle that has almost no recoil = faster more accurate second shots. If you don't like it, there is a company that sells a cover sleeve for the AK74 Mbrake. You'll have to have something attached to the 14.5 inch M4 barrel to be legal. Mbrakes, fake flash suppressors. etc.

Here's the Tapco sleeve address for those that don't like the slap.

[url]http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=MB09001&back=yes&dept=10[/url]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 2.  The shorty and a newly aquired 20" upper.  It's loud, but not as loud as the Mini Y Comp.  With the HBar I don't think you really need it.  If I had the chance to re do it, I think I'd go with the full 16" barrel.  I'm contemplating sending it to Kurt to have him throw on his A3 brake which he says is quieter.

I have to fire my friends 16" shorty (plain barrel to see if there is a difference.

As for the 20", I'm really think of having Kurt change it over to his A2 Brake, only for the reason that the AK74 brake makes the OAL 40.25 inches which is too big for a 40" soft case.  If I can find a soft assualt weapon case then I may leave it as is.

My main complaint is the noise.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Having shot side by side, a 16" carbine and a shorty AK w/brake, the 16 muzzle rises about 2 inches, where the AK does not rise.

Follow up shots are right on the money with the AK.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Cato556 - My tactical match rifle started life as a Bushy Shorty AK.  This rifle was built for speed, not for looks.  The AK brake does an outstanding job of eliminating recoil/muzzle rise, with muzzle rise being the more inportant aspect of it's design.  Muzzle breaks, as a byproduct of their efficiency, are LOUD.  If you are going to buy a Bushmaster, and are looking for the best muzzle break, you need to consider the Mini-Y Comp.  The Y-comp break is even better than the AK.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I got the A3Flat-top Shorty AK and I love it!

1) No muzzle rise - stays right on target.
2) Wear ear protection anyway - brake or no brake.  It also depends on the loads you're firing.  WinQ3131A are hotter (and louder) than other crap out there.  For best quality - shoot only [url=http://www.ammoman.com/webstore_223.htm]Q3131A[/url]
3) Looks much better (IMO) than the bare-nekked muzzles.
4) As far as noise level for bystanders... duh.. . you're shooting a high-power rifle - it's going to be loud. (it bugs me to hear some complain about bringing AR/AKs to an outdoor range because they're too loud - IT'S A GUN RANGE... you know - BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!)

All-in-all, I'm very satisified with it. [^]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my ShortyAK (see my screen name). It shoots great and makes everyone around me stop and wonder "What the hell is that guy shooting?". It is definitely loud. I once made the mistake of firing one last round at the end of the day without my earplugs and my ears rang for a couple of hours.

After living with mine for a few years, I would buy another one if I could.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a 16" AR with an attached Bushmaster AK brake.  Very sweet.  I have no complaints and it seems to do the job very well.

There is something to consider when listening to the crowds though.  All "AK" brakes are not the same.  The bushmaster brake has the third hole on top (to help with muzzle flip).  I've also seen some without 4 of the gas vents (on sides pointing into the main 90 degree vents).  Just a note to let you know that some of these folks have a brake that looks like the Bushmaster AK brake, they just don't perform like one.

Well, that's my $.02.

Link Posted: 2/9/2002 4:17:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I like the Shorty Ak.  It was the first AR-15 I shot.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top