Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2002 12:58:49 PM EDT
Well, I was hoping for the best, but I think member "Zeb" (Adam Robles) burned me. I "bought" a Mepor 21 reflex sight from him during the first part of january. I sent him a money order for $170 and he emailed me that he would let me know when he got the moeny order. I STILL haven't heard anything from him, nor have I received my sight.

My emails to him came back with a user unknown flag. Another member emailed me his phone number, I called it and left a message on the machine, and then left another message with a male at the number for Adam to call me back. It's been over a week since the first message and three days since the last message.

I checked on my money order and it has been cashed already.

Fullerton isn't that long of a drive, but I'm already out $170, and I really don't want to waste a day to try to find Adam.

Any tips, advise, or comments??????
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#1]
How far of a drive is it for you? I'll be out in OC in the middle of March for a buddy's wedding, and wouldn't mind dropping in and reminding him of his obligation.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Fullerton is in Orange County in Southern Kalifornia. It's about a four hour drive for me I think........
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Since he cashed the MO, send him a certified letter return receipt requested telling him he has 3 days to contact you or you will be taking him to small claims court, contacting the local DA, & contacting your local postmaster about his mail fraud.  If this, especially the felony mail fraud insinuation, doesn't get him moving, nothing will, & I would recommend you follow through on the above.  Also, contact the powers-that-be here on this board.  Maybe he left some personal info. when he registered.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#4]
After reading your post I ran a topic search on Zeb and saw that almost all of his posts involved the sale of merchandise.  (No problem there, a lot of mine do also).  However I thought that you might want to contact the other members who had conducted business with him and see if 1) they could shed any light on the way their transactions went; and 2) if they would shed any light on those transactions, because they have a right to their privacy too; 3) if they had any further information about Zeb.  
Who knows, one might have been touch with him recently and may know of a personal tragedy in his life that has prevented him completing the deal.  Or it may give you an idea if you need to pursue legal remedies.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:33:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fullerton is in Orange County in Southern Kalifornia. It's about a four hour drive for me I think........
View Quote

I should have been clearer. I'll be in Orange County in March for my friend's wedding, and if you give me Zeb's address I'll stop by and have a word with the young man.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:34:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Beachboy---I talked with one member who bought a scope from Zeb, he said the deal went fine. I posted a message looking for him several times back in January and never got any responses about any bad transactions. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt too, but it's been one month today since I mailed him the money order. I've left four phone messages for him now.......
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:49:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Beachboy---I talked with one member who bought a scope from Zeb, he said the deal went fine. I posted a message looking for him several times back in January and never got any responses about any bad transactions. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt too, but it's been one month today since I mailed him the money order. I've left four phone messages for him now.......
View Quote

MadBadger,
I didn't mean for my post to imply that you were being hasty or that your suspicions were unfounded.  I was just trying to suggest you cover all bases.  I do not know Zeb, nor have I ever dealt with him and quite honestly it really pisses me off when someone is taken advantage of here.  One of the things I like about this board and the members is that it can be sort of like a gear and gadget swap meet sometimes.  Hope all works out well for you and good luck.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is the thread in question: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=77738[/url]

Funny thing, notice he used somebody else's pictures of the sight.  This has the definite odor of week-old seafood.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a message on my voice mail today from Adam Robles, but he said he has no idea what I am talking about and knows nothing about selling a sight on AR15.com. He did say that he knows someone has been using his name on different internet accounts and perhaps making fraudulent transactions. I'm going to keep trying until I can talk to him and get a few questions answered.

There was a link to an internet fraud site co-maintained by the FBI, apparently any internet fraud is a Federal felony now. Maybe I'll try that as well as the Postal Inspector.

If anyone out there knows "Zeb" or Adam Robles, I'd appreciate any information.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I got a message on my voice mail today from Adam Robles, but he said he has no idea what I am talking about and knows nothing about selling a sight on AR15.com. He did say that he knows someone has been using his name on different internet accounts and perhaps making fraudulent transactions. I'm going to keep trying until I can talk to him and get a few questions answered.

There was a link to an internet fraud site co-maintained by the FBI, apparently any internet fraud is a Federal felony now. Maybe I'll try that as well as the Postal Inspector.

If anyone out there knows "Zeb" or Adam Robles, I'd appreciate any information.
View Quote

Did you send it to Adam's address?
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I sent a letter to the mailing address he gave me for the money order; I've tried to email him lots of times, but they come back with "user unknown" flags.

I used a Western Union money order and I am in the process of having it traced to see where and when it was cashed.

I've emailed several people now that have had dealings with "Zeb". One member confirmed that the address I had was the same one he had for "Zeb".

This sucks, that sight was the last piece I needed to get my CAR the way I wanted it....

I really appreciate all the members' input and answering my questions. Thanks.

I hate to resort to the Postal Inspector or the FBI for this, but apparently any internet fraud and/or mail fraud is a Federal felony now. I wonder if "Zeb" thinks $170 is worth a Fed. felony on his record.................
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He did say that he knows someone has been using his name on different internet accounts and perhaps making fraudulent transactions.
View Quote

This particular piece of information sounds like a wheelbarrow load of Bullsh!t.  

If you can get WU to return you copy of the cashed MO, ask for a copy of both sides. Check the front and back to see if they wrote his DL number on it for ID purposes.  

If so, a man can do a whole lotta damage armed with just a name and a DL number.  [}:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top