Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2002 12:22:42 PM EDT
Who has ever owned one and why are these blades commanding upwards of $400-800?!?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The wife and I have collected them for 9 years now.  Our 11 yo boy just got his first this last September.  They are legendary in their performance and very high quality.  

True story:  My wife chose a Randall instead of an engagement ring so...There I was on my knee with a knife in my hand proposing.  I know, I know... I tell my friends that we are the original Addams family.  Anyway, we love the knives and tend to stick to the more practical models like the Model #10 and the Pathfinder.

They are worth the wait and money and always appreciate over time even if you use them.  I financed most of my M4 by selling a "Combat Companion" on EBay.

Take the plunge, you won't regret it.

Link Posted: 2/6/2002 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]
No doubt they appreciate!!! Looking at some of the prices at Ebay. Can you give me more specifics about the Randalls you own and what you like most about each model ???
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#3]
My pleasure.  

My first was a Model 5 with a stag handle.  I had my name put on the blade.  I don't regret getting the knife, but the blade is rather thick.  I nearly sliced my thumb open trying to half an apple with it.  My second and third are both #10's in 5 and 7 inch.  The 5 inch is very handy in the kitchen as well as field.  We use the 7 inch for carving and deboning.

The fourth was my wife's engagement gift.  It is a stag handled Model 4 skinner 5" with a stainless blade and nickelsilver hilt.  She adores that knife.

My fifth was a combat companion in Stainless Steel with a nickel hilt.  Nice combat knife, but since I have studied some knife techniques, I prefer a tanto blade.  This is the one that I sold on Ebay along with the orginal sheath and one that I had made.  It help finance my DPMS M4.  Nice trade.

The last we got was for my 11 yo son.  I told him that if he saved his money for something durable, that I would match his funds.  He saved half of the money needed for a 4" pathfinder in stainless with the leather/stag/leather handle and nickel silver hilt.  He loves his knife and I was very proud that he managed to save the $160.00 and not blow it all on Legos and Playstation stuff.

As a note, we always buy stainless blades on the Randall's.  It takes more to sharpen them, but they hold a better resale value and blood doesn't make marks on the blade.

True story:  I killed a 6 point buck with the Model 10 5".  I was carrying it while hiking when I came upon the poor beast.  A poacher had injured it enough to cut the hams off of the thing and left it to die a slow death.  It was weak and dehydrated so I decided to put it out of it's misery.  It was a very sad experience, but the knife did a good job.

Take care.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a link for you OneRobertFour: [url]http://randallknives.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Forgot the likes and dislikes:

Model 5:  Like the style and heft, dislike the fat handle (I have ironically small hands) and blade thickness.

Model 10's:  Love them.  The 5" would make a nice combat knife as well without much modification.

Combat Companion:  Nice stabber, but I prefer a tanto for the close up work that I pray I will never have to do.

Pathfinder:  Perfect knife.  Small enough for skinning and cleaning jobs, very handsome, and my son will be able to use it now until the day he passes it on to his grandchildren.

Skinner:  Haven't had a chance to actually use it as it is my wife's.

Special note:  Most all Randall knives are perfectly balanced.  It is almost magical to hold the actual carving knife that they make.  The thing is very long, but it feels like you have a butter knife in your hand.  It almost floats.  The first time I held one, I had to convince my hands what my eyes were seeing.  Kinda spooky really, but very neat.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Some years ago my Father gave me his Randall ( An "Arkansas Toothpick" with Ivory handle ).

I remember meeting Mr. Randall in about '63 to '65 when we lived in Orlando. And if memory serves me it took over a year to recieve from the time my dad had placed the order.

I have no idea what the model # is or what it's worth ( Not looking to sell anyway ). The ivory is cracked,however still intact.

My point: Get a Randall...and you'll pass it down to your kids!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top