Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2002 12:15:36 PM EDT
is anyone fimilar with the kel tec p32.i understand you get what you pay for  but its the perfect size for ccw.basiclly im woundering how reliable it is?how manny rounds you can shoot out of it before you  throw it away and will it withstand a +p round such as corbon?thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a very early one that I did have some problems with. Sent it back to the factory and they upgraded it at no cost. So far it feeds FMJ, flatpoint and hollow point with no problems. Haven't tried CORBON but I'm not a fan of CORBON in any caliber. As far as longevity, I don't know. It's really a carry a lot and shoot little piece, actually not much different than a lot of aluminum frame guns. I also have a P-11 that I'm very pleased with. As far as being perfect for CCW, I generally carry something bigger and use the P32 as a backup or for times when I really can't carry anything bigger.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought the black frame/nickel slide model and immediately had problems with failures to fire.  I was getting primer strikes all over my S&B ammo, sometimes up to 5, but most rounds would not fire on the first strike.  In addition, the slide was really scraped up and looked like hell

I sent the slide in and got a new slide back in about a week.  I fluffed and buffed per www.ktog.org and the thing hasn't misfired in 250 rounds.  It cycles fine and it is the most concealable handgun I have ever owned.  It's not my choice for defense, but I can carry it anywhere without a problem, and I'm somewhat reassured by the last 250rnds of operation.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I've carried a P32 for a little over a year now, and stil;l love it. I have run probably 6 boxes of ammo through it with only 2 FTFs. After stretching the mag spring a little, the trouble went away.In the case of this gun, I think you get a lot more than you pay for. I traded a Beretta Tomcat for it, and like it SOOO much better. The triggerpull is very manageable (DA on the Tomcat was terrible), the slide sits high on the frame and doesn't bite my big hands like the Tomcat did, and because it fires from a locked breech, the action spring isn't as tough as the Tomcat, and the weight doesn't pull your shorts down in the summer. I am thinking very seriously about one of their 40's . After 300 rnds, I have not found any wear at all on mine.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#4]
as for the corbon ammo issue- what don't you like about quality components and high velocities?  price aside, what else is there not to like?
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a lot of good to be said about the P32.  With some effort most of them can be made to work.  I sent mine back to KelTec twice.  It still was not very reliable.  I got tired of the crap and traded it off.  Other people have had better luck.  FWIW there service department is very fast, but fast didn't mean fixed.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Concerning CORBON, I have nothing against quality components or high velocities (in certain cases). I just happen to agree with something I heard in a wound ballistics seminar at one of the SOF conventions, that being the best velocity for a given handgun round is not necessarily the fastest. I don't think the increased blast and flash is worth the marginal difference in terminal performance over a good, standard hollowpoint or FMJ round. If you want to spend more money on CORBON and you like it, please feel free.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#7]
It is the most concealable semi-auto out there. I have had mine for almost two years and I love it. My father got one first, but he had problems right from the start. This was right before KT switched their recoil springs to a slightly more powerfull one. He had failures to feed every mag. I researched the P32 and found KTOG and about how KT will upgrade the 32 to a hard chromed slide and new springs for $20. Since then he has had no problems at all. I got mine while his was being fixed because even knowing that his had a few bugs the overall design is fantastic. Mine has the parked finish and dark blue frame. It eats Corbon, and whatever else I put in it. The .32 cal has more power than many give it credit for. For a test I fired a mag of Fio's,Cor's, and Silver Tips into a deep walled rubbermaid wheel barrow filled with water and a soaked phone book that swelled to about three times it's normal size. All performed great with lots of exspandsion except the Fiocchi's which then went through the all of that and the wheelbarrow as well. It's been 100% for me. Get one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#8]
sfitter777, I've got one.  Since a couple months after I bought it, I haven't made it through an entire magazine without a failure.  A few people have good luck with them after doing some work, but I haven't seen one personally that works well.  If you have the money, you're willing to deal with some hassle (F&B and sending it back once or more), and you're willing to take a risk, then you might end-up with a great CCW weapon.  Think long and hard about how much time and work you're willing to put-up with before buying a Kel-Tec.z
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#9]
no prob's with mine
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#10]
No problems here either.  I've been feeding it Speers, and they work fine.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry mine everyday at work.( no guns allowed)Works great.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#12]
sfitter 777,

As for my P32, I love it and my wife loves it too (read "wants one of her own").

I was in the local shop one day looking for a good warm weather carry gun/backup gun. I was looking at the Beretta's, Taurus's, even had a Seecamp. He asked what I wanted it for and I told him. Out of the back room he comes with a P32. Based on what I had heard about KT, I damn near walked out. He said he's sold dozens to other officers and if I didn't like it I could bring it back and he'd give a full refund. I didn't take it back.

It is a "get off me" gun, but I was very surprised by the accuracy (about 2" at 25yds). I now have about 300 rds through it without any malfunctions.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I have mixed feelings about Kel-Tec guns in general. I have a P32, a P11 and a Sub 9 Rifle.  The Sub 9 is great. Very accurate, functions well with no problems.  And it folds up to a size that will fit into my briefcase.

My P11, on the other hand, came with a VERY rough feed ramp, and the rifling was not very well done.  KT swapped it for a new barrel.  But the feedramp on the new barrel looks pretty rough.  The P11 has been in my safe, unfired, for about a year. I have somewhat given up on it.

My P32 amazes me with its accuracy.  Of all my handguns, I think I shoot the best and more accurate with the little P32.  But I remain skeptical of it overall.  I have had a few failures to feed.  But other than that, the little P32 shows a lot of promise.

I carry a Glock 36, .45ACP as my primary CC weapon, and the P32 as a backup.  The G36 NEVER malfunctions.  It is too good to be true.  Hopefully I will never have to use either in self-defense.  But while I KNOW the G36 will function like a Swiss clock, I know the little P33 will fire very accurately.. ONCE.  From there on it's a crapshoot.

ARnSC
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought one about 18 months ago.  I don't have too many rounds through it (maybe 50-100), but haven't had a single FTF.  Accuracy was surprisingly good.  I was able to chase bullet holes at 10 yards.  This is one heck of a little gun.  Of course, I got one that didn't have to be tweaked.  I was amazed at how soft shooting it is.  I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it.

When you buy a $1,500 gun, you expect so much that it takes a lot to please you.  Well, conversely so, I expected so little from this P32 that I was SHOCKED at its "shootability."  I thought it would be a painful, inaccurate little belly gun, but couldn't have been more wrong.

For $250, you almost can't go wrong.  Unless you get one that sucks, in which case you're probably better off selling it to someone who wants to peck with it and starting over (well, okay, give Kel-Tec one or two shots at it first -- I've heard they generally resolve the problems).

Oh, and just so I'm crystal clear here:
GET ONE!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Got a P-32 as well, just recently in fact.  No issues whatsoever, after 200 rounds.  I'm very happy with it.  Makes my Glock 26 look like a Desert Eagle.  And furthermore, it makes my Desert Eagle look like Moby fuckin' Dick.

The Kel-Tec P-32 is a very nice piece for under $250.  Even if it needs some service, most people say Kel-Tec does the job right and you'll get it back fixed in no time at all.  It's a worthy investment for all the benefits you get from it.

~Hokieman out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top