Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2009 2:47:32 PM EDT
What is the best cordless drill for the $. My 18 year old craftsman just went to sleep and I know someone on here knows what's the best. Thanks for any help..
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Harbor Freight

j/k I have no idea but would like to know also
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say Panasonic.  This was brought up in another thread though and someone posted that Panasonic plans on withdrawing from the US tool market.  I haven't found any follow up to that statement though so I would still say Panasonic.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Use Milwaukee at work. They seem to work well, of course since I don't pay for them I have no idea how they run on the cost/performance chart.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Dewalt.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#5]
DeWalt, 18volt XRP style (not the new Lithium battery pack), with the hammerdrill option.

It will become your right hand. Know this. I use them so much I go through 2 a year... not because they are junk... they are the only ones that will last 6 months on my crews.

I run 3 crews, each crew has 2 of them, so I buy about 12 of them a year. We are BRUTAL on them. I use them to pre-wire houses for low voltage, which means that I use 1-1/2 - 2" auger bits drilling through THOUSANDS of studs and joists.

I think that there are better CORDED drills, but for cordless... this is the one you want. BTW... I have used and broke ALL of the ones on the market that are readily available... DeWalt, Mikita, Milwaukee, Panasonic, Craftsman, Hitachi, Ryobi...

ONLY the DeWalt makes it even 6 months. Most of the other dont even last the first week, some make it a month or two.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered a Panasonic EY 7460 LN2S,but haven't charged it yet so I can't give you a hands on.I researched the info about Panasonic pulling out and found nothing.Poster said it was on Reuters.com, but nothing.I will give a hands on AAR as soon as I challenge it's torque.From what I have read Makita would be second FWIW.Let us know what you get.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
DeWalt, 18volt XRP style (not the new Lithium battery pack), with the hammerdrill option.

It will become your right hand. Know this. I use them so much I go through 2 a year... not because they are junk... they are the only ones that will last 6 months on my crews.

I run 3 crews, each crew has 2 of them, so I buy about 12 of them a year. We are BRUTAL on them. I use them to pre-wire houses for low voltage, which means that I use 1-1/2 - 2" auger bits drilling through THOUSANDS of studs and joists.

I think that there are better CORDED drills, but for cordless... this is the one you want. BTW... I have used and broke ALL of the ones on the market that are readily available... DeWalt, Mikita, Milwaukee, Panasonic, Craftsman, Hitachi, Ryobi...

ONLY the DeWalt makes it even 6 months. Most of the other dont even last the first week, some make it a month or two.

What would be your choice in corded hammerdrills and what do you think of cordless impact drivers versus cordless impact wrenches.What is more versatile?
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I use DeWalt, but even those are getting cheap'd

used to be Makita, then DeWalt,

I haven't tried Milwalkee, but the seem to be solid performers from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Makita is really damned good, followed by Milwaukee.  DeWalt seems to be hit or miss.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Just bought this set for 280 delivered. it was such a good deal I bought 2.

28V Nano battery Hammer Drill and sawzall.

Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#11]
What ever you get make sure it has lithium ion batteries. These are far superior to all others.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#12]
We use Panasonic at work and they are incredible for power and battery life.  I have a 18V Craftsmen at home and it doesn't compare, especially the chuck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#14]
i went with dewalt and have been very happy. if i remember correctly i purchased from toolking.com
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What is the best cordless drill for the $. My 18 year old craftsman just went to sleep and I know someone on here knows what's the best. Thanks for any help..

Depends on what you plan on doing with it.

My cheap Home Depot 18volt Ryobi drilled into concrete to board up 4 houses one hurricane season. 2 the next and tons of things in between. Batteries now 5 yrs later arent holding the longest charge but for the money, that drill did the job and then some.

Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would be your choice in corded hammerdrills and what do you think of cordless impact drivers versus cordless impact wrenches.What is more versatile?

Bosch 11236VS 1-1/8" SDS Rotary Hammer
It's a rotary hammer, not a hammer drill. It uses sds bits. Yea, it's $320 but, bit's last for years. I was using a hammer drill to drill dozens of holes in red clay brick. I couldn't get thru one hole with standard masonry bits. I borrowed a freinds rotary hammer and did all the rest of the holes with one bit, that still worked fine after I was done. I have many bits for mine that have drilled hundreds of holes and still going strong. Plus, it drills holes way faster as well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I have and love Dewalt.

After reading the above post about Rigid, I'd consider them as well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Craftsman 19.2 Volt that I recieved as a gift a few years ago, I like mine a lot.  With that being said, I am not doing any major construction projects, and I have nothing else to compare it to.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#19]
My personal preference is the Milwauke 18 or 28 volt setup...good tools.  Thats what I use everyday for work, and they are solid. I've used both Milwaukes and Dewalts....and Dewalts are good tools,everyone uses them...

my .02
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on what you plan on doing with it.

My cheap Home Depot 18volt Ryobi drilled into concrete to board up 4 houses one hurricane season. 2 the next and tons of things in between. Batteries now 5 yrs later arent holding the longest charge but for the money, that drill did the job and then some.

Ryobi really seems to get passed over, for some reason.  The field construction guys at my company use Ryobi and Hilti tools, and what they do (chopping up and drilling holes in linear miles of structural fiberglass) is more demanding on a tool than anything I've ever seen.  Ryobi isn't quite on the same level as Hilti (we have Hilti drills that look like some sort of energy weapon out of a sci-fi movie), but it's definitely not homeowner-grade shit, either.

Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#21]
hi-point
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a hitachi LiOin 18v recently, best cordless I've owned to date, including the 18v dewalt I used to have.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OK Here is my PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE advice. Over the years I have had DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Black and Decker (which surprisingly lasted longer than the Makitas did)

Now enter RIGID.... For $99.00 it comes with a recharger, bag, two batteries and here is the kicker: GUARANTEED FOR LIFE... EVEN THE BATTERIES AND RECHARGER!!!

Any company willing to guarantee a tool for life is GTG with me. You do have to send in your receipt and UPC code to get the guarantee but really, who gives a crap. I had this drill now for almost 2 years and the batteries still hold a charge, the drill has fallen off ladders many times and it still works.

I am impressed. For the work I do, it is perfect. And I change MANY gaskets which if anyone knows, there are megaloads of screws to turn.

Good Luck to ya

That sounds like a winner to me my 18v Dewalt just broke today smoke pouring out of it and the battery started melting down, but no complaints with dewalt it lasted 12 years of hard use. I would get another but they were 280.00 with one battery thats a little to much for me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I use Rigid daily. Fantastic, tough tools. All of them. The lifetime warranty is awesome. If you take the tool to a service center at any time, they will replace all worn parts for free.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Can't stand Craftsman power tools.

I like DeWalt and Rigid. Good stuff, fair price.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I have used them all. There is only one Best.
It is Rigid 18 V.

I have been in construction for over 37 years. I know my tools.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I picked the work radio I liked. Milwaukee works great with my Ipod.  Then buy the tools that work with the same battery.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#29]
i like and use Hitachi

Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#31]
1) Dewalt
2) Milwuakee
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 3:38:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Why doesn't someone come up with a battery adapter so that any battery can be used with any tool?
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 3:46:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Panasonic.  I have (had) several brands and Panasonic is my favorite. After that Makita.  Look at the impact drivers too.  Depending on your work, an impact driver may be a better choice.

Panasonic battery technology was always better than others and the torque range, size and weight are excellent
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 3:51:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Porter Cable  
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 4:44:16 AM EDT
[#35]
I just got one of the new Bosch compact 18v lithium ion ones - $179 at Lowe's.  I've been pleased with it so far.  The review I read rated the Makita highest overall, but I've gotten good service from the two 14v Bosch drills I have so I went with them again.

Jane
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 5:19:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Remember Dewalt is made by Black and Decker........enough said.

Link Posted: 8/30/2009 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Rigid.

Makita BHP 454.

Skip DeWalt.

Link Posted: 8/30/2009 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Bosch
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 6:39:38 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a makita 18v lithium and that thing rocks! charges quick and very powerful.  I just did a stair project that involved 50+ 3/4" spade bit holes into oak, one battery.

Bosh is also a good choice but $$$$$
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 6:41:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Best drill I have ever owned.

Link Posted: 8/30/2009 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#41]
I have makita tools.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember Dewalt is made by Black and Decker........enough said.

No, DeWalt is owned by Black and Decker, they are independent companies (of eachother), they do not share technology nor do they make their tools at the same place.

If you want to talk about companies that share technology then look no further than Ryobi, Milwaukee and Rigid.
They are owned by the same Chinese corporation.

Link Posted: 8/30/2009 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Ridgid 18V with the lifetime battery guarantee.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Ryobi/Rigid 18v are the best bang for the buck.  I have battery powered Drill and Circular Saw.  Spare batteries of same type with the same power rating are also lot less than competetors charge too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 7:42:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I like Dewalt for the sole fact that they have not redesigned the batteries in 20 years. Dewalt has a new lithium battery that still fits the older tools . I have had others cordless tools that after a year or two you cannot get new batteries for them. I also use Ridged at work with their Lifetime Warranty on batteries.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#46]
As a plumbing contractor we use Milwaukee cordless and corded drills and sawzalls. Everything else doesn't last as long or hold up.

Dewalt is a distant 2nd along with the B&D Industrial stuff. Makita used to have good stuff years ago but we don't have anything recent.

Link Posted: 8/30/2009 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#47]
I found a cool place in St. Augustine in one of the outlet malls off of I-95.

It sells reconditioned power tools and lawn equipment, all the brands, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Husqvarna, etc..

The ones I saw all looked brand new too.

These are probably the ones people use once and return to HD or Lowes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 8:09:36 AM EDT
[#48]
I like the Dewalt also . 18 volt variety .
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Milwaukee
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top