Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2002 8:38:34 PM EDT
I seem to remember a few years ago reading in a gun magazine about building a "silencer" for a range using a 55 gallon drum.  It involved some sort of insulation, and was mounted on a support in front of the shooter's bench. The barrel of the rifle extended into it. The purpose was to cut down on neighbor's complaints.  Ring a bell to anyone?  Anyone have a link to a design?
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Bell ringing.  Rick Jamison, either Shooting Times or Guns & Ammo.  I've never seen the plans, but remember the ad.  Very Faint Bell..something about don't use steel wool inside due to fire danger.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 12:55:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Try calling the NRA (Range Development, maybe?).  I think they have something like that made out of old tires.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 3:40:19 AM EDT
[#3]
The old tires one works pretty good.  Go to a junk yard and get the 20" semi tires and bolt them together through the side walls.  Drill a 1/4" hole in the bottom.  Lets the rain drain out and prevents a place for mosquitoes to breed not to mention surprise you with a splash on that first round.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:04:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Just make sure that your insulation is NOT flammable.  Either that, or bring marshmellows to the bench.

SRM
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I read the article, I think they were testing a 50 caliber rifle and wanted to control the noise.  Have heard of ranges using concrete drain tile in front of the firing line to control noise, and keeps people from "cross shooting" the lanes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:17:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I read the article, I think they were testing a 50 caliber rifle and wanted to control the noise.  Have heard of ranges using concrete drain tile in front of the firing line to control noise, and keeps people from "cross shooting" the lanes.
View Quote

i used to shoot at a range with the concrete drain and it was LOUD. concrete apparently has no sound absorbing qualities at all. the range had it removed. some insulation would undoubtedly have helped.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The old tires one works pretty good.  Go to a junk yard and get the 20" semi tires and bolt them together through the side walls.  Drill a 1/4" hole in the bottom.  Lets the rain drain out and prevents a place for mosquitoes to breed not to mention surprise you with a splash on that first round.
View Quote

I had been considering making a stationery silencer for my range.  I really figured the ATF would have some rule or regulation making it illegal.  

Amazing!

When we start improving/moving my range, that is something that will be added!

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:35:59 AM EDT
[#8]
At the range in NY that I used to belong to they built a "shoot house" for highpower rifles.  You sit on one side of the brick building and fire through the building via small windows on each side.  It definitely kills some of the noise, but man does it suck to have to limit yourself to an offhand window and a benchrest window.  The idea was mainly conceived to keep bullets from escaping over the hill behind the range (housing development went in behind the range, who the hell thought of that braindead idea I do not know).  The range is fully baffled for smallbore competitions--large wooden "sails" set up at intervals parallel to the firing points to trap any bullet trajectory that would range beyond 100 yards.  Major pain to build, major pain to maintain.  It kept the range alive for only another 10 years--things are looking pretty slow these days.  I think it only gets used a couple of times a year now.  The shoot house is used by all the hunters sighting in their deer rifles though.  

I would stay away from old tires--they are bees nest magnets.  I suppose you could fill them with dirt or something, but that would probably obviate the sound-deadening capabilities.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top