Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2001 2:04:12 PM EDT
I can't keep away from it, pizza, pretzels, chicken wings etc, etc, etc.  This stuff RULES!!  I have been through about six bottles in the last year.

For the uninformed: [url]http://www.davesgourmet.com/insauces.html[/url]

My friends think I'm nuts but I know there has to be more HEAT lovers out there!

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Well if it will get me poontang, get me a case!
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I stocked up on the various flavors.  Hurtin Habanero and Total Insanity are the ones I use most to put a little flavor into salsa or other dishes.  I just cut up some chicken to marinade it in Insanity sauce for dinner.  Ultimate Insanity holds a satisfying burn, but the flavor is too harsh.  I also got a bottle of Dave's Private Reserve that I'm waiting to crack open.  The only product in the line I don't think is worthwhile so far is Dave's Beef Jerky.  Dave's Joltin Jellies are pretty cool. =)
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I love hot sauce in general. Dave's is certainly one of the best. One of my other favorites is D.O.A. cyanide sauce. I don't think it's quite as hot as Dave's but the flavor is great.

Here's another website for you chile heads out there.

[url]www.hothothot.com[/url]

Mike
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#4]
No way....I like hot stuff but that salsa is like eating fire.  

I was at a card party one night and took a jar I had.  Couple guys there thought nothing is that hot.  Well one got about 2 teaspoons full of the stuff on a chip and stuck the whole thing in his mouth.  He was drinking milk, eating bread....he turned beet red and had tears in his eyes.  [:D]
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#5]
akrazy, you say that as if it's a bad thing.  That's the whole reason we do eat that stuff. =)
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 4:21:22 AM EDT
[#8]
qwijibo, I just ordered my first bottle of ultimate insanity, it hasn't arrived yet.  Too bad the taste is harsh, that takes away from the quality IMHO.  Do me a favor and post about the Limited edition reserve when you crack it open, it really has my curiosity up.   Thanks groo for the link!!!  Anyone like Melindas XXXtra hot? [url]http://www.melindas.com/html2/melindas.html[/url]  I think this is the very best in flavor.  I don't think very much of the other ones I've tried, but the XXXtra hot is available at the grocery store. Although not one of the "real" HOT sauces, the taste is tops in my book.

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, here's the deal on Dave's 2000 Private Reserve: very thick, so maybe there's something hiding at the bottom that violent shaking hasn't agitated, but it seems hotter than Insanity Sauce, but milder than Ultimate Insanity Sauce.  However, it does have a decent flavor to it, unlike the Ultimate Insanity Sauce, and I did see one of the comments about the 2000 vintage that it has a better taste.  All in all, it's a nice idea, but I don't think it'll become a main staple in my diet, especially since the other sauces are much cheaper and can be mixed. =)
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I can take some serious habs but Daves is a little too much IMO.  Best mixed in foods to add heat.  My everyday sauce is El Yucateco.  It a hab sauce that comes in "verde" (unripe habs) or red (ripened habs).  I prefer the green.  

The best part about El Yuc is that it is excellent but cheap.  About $2.00 per bottle whereas most hot sauces with the fancy labels cost $5.00 or more.  All the mexicans use El Yuc so you know its good.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't know where I can order El Yuc from do you? Sounds good! I'm in the NW. Thanks,
w
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#12]
6 bottles in a year? You got a problem - I can go through that much Tabasco but that stuff is too hot and not the best flavor either.  There was a hot sauce I stole from a joint in New Orleans - it was carrot based and very good flavor, anyone have an idea?  I think it had something to do with a dragon maybe?
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#13]
1gunrunner, it didn't occur to you that those people attracted to this thread are already deeply disturbed?  In a culinary sense at least. =)
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 6:39:57 AM EDT
[#14]
[red][size=3]Love that hot shit on my wings, you all know we crazy Buffalonians love our wings....wings in MD suck ass!!!!!!!!!!LOL[/size=3][/red] [}:D]
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#15]
1GUNRUNNER...  I collect all the sauces I can get my hands on.  Carrot based?  The only carot based one I have is Maya Habenero Pepper Sauce.  It is part of the rainforest rescue.  It is orange and tasty..  Produced by Marie Sharps fine foods for rainforest recue ltd. Belizecity, Belize CA.  The belize audubon societies website is on the bottle but the link was dead when I tried it (www.bas.org), hope this helps.

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Ed, if you eat enough of it often enough, you build up a tolerance.  Though, you can always follow it with some cheese, milk, ice cream, etc and it'll be muted by the time it comes back out.  Of course, you also miss out on the feeling that you're invincible if you survived the experience. =)
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/20/2001 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#19]
You want a hot sauce thats good and not too hot-try Durkee Red Hot.  It is probably at your local store.  It is the only mass produced hot sauce I like.  Deep fry some wings-about 10 (do not bake) until crisp, put equal parts of butter and hot sauce (1-2 tablespoons each)in a frying pan add a little fresh ground pepper (janes crazy pepper is perfect) and some powdered cayanne pepper to taste.  toss wings and fry them a bit.  I prefer a 'drier' wing as opposed to slimy ones.  The next day your ass will thank you for not burning ring of fire-ing it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2001 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Dave's is good and hot but tastes like sh!t.

"Burn Jane Burn" is not quite as hot, but has a good flavor as well as "Scorned Woman".
Link Posted: 3/20/2001 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#21]
The Mount Horeb Mustard Museum in Mount Horeb, WI carries a huge selection of hot sauces.
When I was there they had an EXTRACT that was rated at 500,000 on the hotness scale. (forget the name of scale} You had to sign a release to buy it.
www.mustardweb.com
Link Posted: 3/20/2001 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought my first bottle of Dave's Hurtin' Habanero yesterday.  Haven't put it on anything yet, but I did try a 1/2 teaspoon just to taste.  It's plenty hot and it's got a good flavor.  I can't wait to actually try it on some food.

How does it rate heat-wise with the other Dave's products?
Link Posted: 3/20/2001 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#23]
SWS, never had hurtin habenaro, but Dave describes it as "a good taste with heat"... sounds good.  Insanity Sauce is described as "the hottest sauce in the universe", and the ultimate insanity says "be afraid, be very afraid".  Personally I have gotten to like the taste of the insanity sauce.  It's hard to find that much heat with a better taste.  I now have a bottle of ultimate insanity and the taste definitly isn't there but I AM afraid, this shit is HOT! and it burns for some time after you eat it.

Nuckles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top