Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2001 1:44:47 PM EDT
Okay guys, I bought an Ar, and now I think it is time to make the next purchase.  I just cannot decide between these three guns.  The Garand is one of the finest rifles ever used in combat .  The tommy-gun was a good weapon too and would be awfully fun.  The Springfield really appeals to me also.  I could use the M1A and the garand for deer hunting also.  Which one do you think is worth the money?
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought mine in this order.
1- MI Greatest rifle of WWII, had to have it, also has collectors value.
2-M1A  More modern, longer range than an AR,could be used today in any combat situation
3- Tommy gun  Pure fun, everyone knows the gun. Even people who don't care about guns say Oh a Tommy gun.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I say the M1a first. In my opinion better then the Garand. I would then go with the Garand. Then the tommy. I have the first 2. Tommy is cool and fun but it truly is a full auto gun. Lougotzz
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#3]
All three are excellent rifles so I'll give you my opinion. First, between the three the Tommy Gun would be my last choice from a great gun standpoint, but the first to buy if I were planning on buying all three because of the fact that if any get banned or pushed up in price because of the "assault weapon" crap the Tommy would be the one most affected as the other 2 are long guns even with folding stocks. After that it would be the M1A, as I prefer it to the Garand, only slightly, because of the box magazine and ease of getting Garands will never end. Hope this helps some.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd go for the thompson.It can be the easiest to get banned because of the pistol grips.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#5]
M1A first.
Garand second.
Thompson third.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 1:06:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks fellas.  My grandfather knows of a family in which the old man just passed.  he has a garand so I may just see if I can't get my paws on that first.  I just bought my AR and I am 18.  Moms wasn't to happy at all, but on the other hand she supports my interests which is huge.  Anyways, I should probably get a job before I wanna consider the M1A.  Gotta pay a pretty penny for one of those.  Thanks again for your help.  That is the type of stuff that keeps us young guys interested.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 1:52:39 AM EDT
[#7]
My $.02--

1.  The Garand is a classic.  I got my ISRA membership to shoot for one from CMP (I have not had a chance to shoot the required competetion yet, but soon!!).

2.  The M1A--had one, sold it--they are very accurate, but I like my FAL better.  If I want accuracy, I'll get a bolt gun, for an autoloader, the FAL (and it's cheap mags) works better for me than an M1A (and it's $40+ mags).

3.  The Thompson--cool, but that's it.  Unless you are going to get a full auto (figure $5,000 to $12,000+) it's not real practical--very heavy, the common full auto mags need to have their mag release catch hole modified to work in the semi-auto guns, and the 16" bbl doesn't do much good for the .45 round (a 10" bbl is much better).  Drum mags are $400+, which is getting kind of expensive.  I also had one and sold it off for just those reasons.  More practical is an UZI (at $1000 if you look, you can get a good one that is pre-ban, has the folding stock, etc.--hell for $2700 you can get a full auto one).

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#8]
If the heart rules the head, get the Tommy gun and turn heads.
If the heart rules the head, get the M1A, it is an improvement on the Garand.
If you have a chance to get a great deal, go for the Garand. I have heard many of the CMP ones are not mint, and the US rebuilds are crap.
It sounds like you may be able to take the Garand out for a test run. Always a big plus, if they let you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#9]
What MDS said.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 4:30:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Never mentioned if you were talking full auto or not.

If so, go with the Thompson first as their prices are rising faster than the other items.

If your talking semi than don't bother with the Thompson as they are ugly and if you check GunBroker, there are always plenty for sale.

Just my .02
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top