Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2002 8:25:25 PM EDT
I understand that the producers in the interest of political correctness will change the terrorists in this movie from Middle Eastern extremeists to Neo-Nazis.  I have read the book, and sorry, I WILL NOT watch this movie.  There are Arab extremists (Islamic Jihad) and southern white boy extremeists (Aryan Brotherhood).  Now, I am white and southern, but the offence I take in this is that fact that PC has forced the movie company to change the original intent of the author.  The Nazis offend me, the Islamic mlitants offend me, but by their actions, not country of origin or race.  I hope that Tom Clancy and the rest of us here at AR15.com boycott this movie.  

Chida66 out.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You are correct, sir. This movie has been shot and is in post-production. I can't believe Tom Clancy stood for it, to tell the truth. I guess money really does talk.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you know if Clancy had any say so in this change after the rights to the movie were sold?  I would have hoped that he would protest this, but if a contract binds??  Just wondering if anyone knows any more about this PC idiocy.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't really know how they work those deals in Hollywood.

There is a message forum on [url]www.imdb.com[/url]. Do a search for sum of all fears and there will be some posts at the bottom of the page. Maybe the answer will be there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:27:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't be too surprised that Hollywood made some PC changes to the Sum of All Fears.  

Do you remember Clear and Present Danger?  Unlike in the book, the Jack Ryan character never touches a gun.  Remember the big ambush scene in Bogota were a large number of heavily armed narco terrorists are shooting at the AG (and Jack)?  Apparently, Hollywood believes that having the main character grab a gun in that sort of situation only makes it worse.

However, I'll bet that Hollywood wishes they had left the Arabs in Sum of All Fears now.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Clancy already said that once he's paid for the movie rights to one of his books, his control of what comes afterwards is over!

I believe that The Hunt For Red October was the last film of one of his books that he had any 'input' in whatsoever!

BTW, he made a comment about this change on the Mark Davis radio talk show here in Dallas!

Eric The(Yeah,Like'Neo-Nazis'AreASeriousProblem!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The fact that Ben Affleck is playing the lead is reason enough for me to boycott this one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Ben Affleck as Jack Ryan................By all that is holy, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#8]
After hearing Clancy's comments on Sept 11th, I'd find it hard to believe he'd support such a crass change to his work.

I wouldn't be surprised if another producer remakes SOAF in a few years, sticking with the ORIGINAL plot..  (Wouldn't be the first time.)  Look at all the incarnations of "La Femme Nikita" "The Thing" or "Dune"...
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#9]
It was a great book.  Nazis?  Give me a freaking break.  They have not been a viable threat since 1945.  Sounds like they are tuning a good story into a PC POS that I will not see.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I read the book and I'm gonna skip it too. Apparently fifty seven years later nazis are still the main threat to civilization. Everyone else is tolerant and wonderful, don't'cha know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top