Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2009 8:40:35 AM EDT
We are ranchers and are looking for a utv for fencing and hauling salt and mineral.  I've heard the yamaha's and polaris and kawasaki are a little unreliable for real work.  Anyone know anything about these things?  I'm especially looking at the renegade.   I know they are pretty big in the sand rail, dune buggy world, but I haven't had any experience with them.

Here's the link if anyone needs it.

joyner renegade
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#1]
DO NOT BUY ONE!!!! I have seen first hand that they are not built for work or tough terrain just sand dunes. I have owned the trooper T2 and a yamaha rhino the joyner was sold after six months after breaking several parts and paying a small fortune for replacement parts. I have had my rhino for over a year and use it almost every day in tough terrain. Everyone will have different opinions on ATV's and UTV's but I have owned the joyner and it was not cut out for work. Polaris makes a good product but I don't like there engine design.

Link Posted: 8/17/2009 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#2]
We are going to use it everyday and likely put on about 50 miles a day through pastures.  My father in law has both the arctic cat and the kawasaki and they are always broke down.  I really want one that is built for work, not just the weekend play trips most people use them for.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I use my rhino every day for work and have never had a break down in 4 years but I wish it had a little more payload (400 lbs.)
BTW; I put about 15-20 miles a day on it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#4]
chinos=junk

rhino is the #1 selling utv because it very reliable ...

underpowered maybe, but reliable ...

we have 2k miles on ours ...

have a freind with 5k+
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you looked into the Kubota?  i know little about them  My brother is a fireman in a rural district.  Lots of cutting firebreaks in through the forest type of stuff.  They use the Kubota as it's more of a work unit than the others.  He says they have been pleased with them but they are heavier than the recreational types.  

My dad has beat the snot out of his Polaris and it's held up well.

J
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#6]
You may want to look at the PUG
PUG link

This one is a '67 version and yes it has some quirks, it will haul a ton...literally.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine is a John Deere gator xuv with the diesel, has over a 1,000 payload and uses about 1/2 gallon of fuel per hour.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I can speak with some authority on this subject.  The company I work for builds aftermarket air suspensions for UTV so that you may use them to work with.  We have found in out testing of the machines, that the Polaris Ranger HD version is virtually a tank.  Like their engine or not, this is a very capable machine.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can speak with some authority on this subject.  The company I work for builds aftermarket air suspensions for UTV so that you may use them to work with.  We have found in out testing of the machines, that the Polaris Ranger HD version is virtually a tank.  Like their engine or not, this is a very capable machine.

First of all, that is probably the most well informed member name and avatar I've seen on this site.  You have to know more than the rest of the people.  

Does the ranger hd still have the belt drive? And is it as loud going down the road as the other models, those things just scream.  I really want to get away from the belt drive atv's.  If I can't then I can't.   How fast does that thing go?  I'd like to do 40 or 50 on the road without having it floored the whole time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Have you looked into the Kubota?  i know little about them  My brother is a fireman in a rural district.  Lots of cutting firebreaks in through the forest type of stuff.  They use the Kubota as it's more of a work unit than the others.  He says they have been pleased with them but they are heavier than the recreational types.  

My dad has beat the snot out of his Polaris and it's held up well.

J

The worst thing about the kabota is if you don't get one with the diesel you are essentially buying a gas golf cart with an increased payload.

Link Posted: 8/17/2009 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I've owned a Rhino for two years now. Its never missed a beat. We've hauled rocks, fence posts, rolls of barbed wire, tools, hay, salt blocks, feed, a couple of deer, fire wood, pulled trailers, etc. with it. Other than changing the oil and filter, cleaning the air filter and adjusting the valves at 50 and 300 hours (factory interval) it has required zero work.

I would not recommend a Joyner for anything more aggressive than driving down the lane to get the mail. It might be able to handle that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can speak with some authority on this subject. The company I work for builds aftermarket air suspensions for UTV so that you may use them to work with. We have found in out testing of the machines, that the Polaris Ranger HD version is virtually a tank. Like their engine or not, this is a very capable machine.

First of all, that is probably the most well informed member name and avatar I've seen on this site. You have to know more than the rest of the people.

Does the ranger hd still have the belt drive? And is it as loud going down the road as the other models, those things just scream. I really want to get away from the belt drive atv's. If I can't then I can't. How fast does that thing go? I'd like to do 40 or 50 on the road without having it floored the whole time.

Thanks for the compliments, a Husker born and bred here. I IM'd you a link, watch it and you can hear the machine running. It is belt drive, but I don't find it louder than anything else. It moves pretty good, top speed is listed as 50mph and I would say that is accurate.

Link Posted: 8/17/2009 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I can speak with some authority on this subject. The company I work for builds aftermarket air suspensions for UTV so that you may use them to work with. We have found in out testing of the machines, that the Polaris Ranger HD version is virtually a tank. Like their engine or not, this is a very capable machine.

First of all, that is probably the most well informed member name and avatar I've seen on this site. You have to know more than the rest of the people.

Does the ranger hd still have the belt drive? And is it as loud going down the road as the other models, those things just scream. I really want to get away from the belt drive atv's. If I can't then I can't. How fast does that thing go? I'd like to do 40 or 50 on the road without having it floored the whole time.

Thanks for the compliments, a Husker born and bred here. I IM'd you a link, watch it and you can hear the machine running. It is belt drive, but I don't find it louder than anything else. It moves pretty good, top speed is listed as 50mph and I would say that is accurate.

How long have you had it? Any problems? What's it worth? Give me the whole rundown if you would.  I'd really like to make an informed decision here.   I watched the link, it it fairly impressive.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 3:57:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Also, do you have a windshield for that thing and is one worth it?
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 4:08:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd certainly look at the diesel powered ones from the tractor companies for your needs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 4:17:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We are ranchers and are looking for a utv for fencing and hauling salt and mineral.  I've heard the yamaha's and polaris and kawasaki are a little unreliable for real work.

Yea right so your going to buy a no name POS that wont last the drive home ....Good move BTW my sportsman X2 will run circles around that POS has a dump bed and has been REALLY used and still running strong so whatever dude. remember the ol saying " a fool and his money are soon parted"

Link Posted: 8/18/2009 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We are ranchers and are looking for a utv for fencing and hauling salt and mineral.  I've heard the yamaha's and polaris and kawasaki are a little unreliable for real work.

Yea right so your going to buy a no name POS that wont last the drive home ....Good move BTW my sportsman X2 will run circles around that POS has a dump bed and has been REALLY used and still running strong so whatever dude. remember the ol saying " a fool and his money are soon parted"

Wow....Maybe you didn't notice that I was asking about these things.  There are all kinds of opinions out there and you should know that your's is only one.  BTW, this isn't that long of a thread, so I'm sure you noticed that I said I was trying to make an informed decision just a little ways up the page.  Thanks for chiming in, you have been absolutely great with your in-depth analysis.   I've talked to a lot of people about which of these is the most durable and I've basically heard from everyone that the one they own is either the best......or the worst.  I asked about the Joyner because I know nothing about them, I've never even seen one in person and I knew that someone here most likely has.  I have heard absolutely nothing good about them, so I am likely not going to get one.  Actually where I'm leaning now is the Rhino or the Polaris.

BTW, I thought the old saying was that "A fool and his opinion soon make that guy look like a pomous ass".
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How long have you had it? Any problems? What's it worth? Give me the whole rundown if you would. I'd really like to make an informed decision here. I watched the link, it it fairly impressive.
We have had it for about 7 months. No problems at all. We now have a Curtis Cab prototype on it and that seems to be good as well. The cab has doors and a opening windshield.  As far as what it is worth, I don't have a clue as we don't pay for them in a traditional sense, we use them for R&D.  In all honestly, our suspension makes the machine perform beyond the published specs and it does with all the machines we fit.  It just seems to us that this HD is far more capable out of the chute than the rest.  We have actually towed a Toyota Tacoma on a flat bed trailer down the street at 25mph with the Ranger.  Very tough machine with very good off road performance.

We are playing with a tracked diesel Kubota that can haul a ton, has A/C and a heater, and a huge payload.  Downside here is that the top speed is not there and the machine is much bigger.

Link Posted: 8/18/2009 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Windshields on UTV's are worth their weight in gold.  Keeps the cold air out of your face in the winter and the dust.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Windshields on UTV's are worth their weight in gold.  Keeps the cold air out of your face in the winter and the dust.

Do you use the full windshield, the half, or the flip up type?
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Bobcat makes a line of rugged utility vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Bang Bang
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Did you make a purchase?  Just curious....
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#24]
I haven't yet.  I'm probably going to wait till this fall.  I'm looking at a used rhino 700.  I'm still pretty interested in the polaris, I've just heard some bad stories about the belts on those things.  Maybe it's not as big an issue as these guys make it seem.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Why not one of these?

Link Posted: 8/27/2009 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#26]
IIRC the forest servie uses that Pug badlands modle. Also the guys that do the surveying here in the oil feild swaer by their Pug Badlands.they even have a dirt blade/plow on theirs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#27]
While I see the lure of the UTV/side by side models I'd probably just get a CJ5 and put a Utility trailer behind it. Simple engine and running gear that will outlast the best made UTV.
If that wasn't an option, I'd look into the Suzuki Samuri and utility trailer. More modern, but more to break. Can't beat a CJ for running around in fields.
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I haven't yet. I'm probably going to wait till this fall. I'm looking at a used rhino 700. I'm still pretty interested in the polaris, I've just heard some bad stories about the belts on those things. Maybe it's not as big an issue as these guys make it seem.
Nah, not in our experience.

Link Posted: 8/28/2009 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Could try one of these.  You can get em in 4wd, diesel, dump beds, 10k watt generators attached, PTO, hydraulics, etc...  built for commercial duty, don't think it'd be that fun as a toy though.  more for work.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#30]
What breaks on the Cat?  Mine is fine.

We drove it 40 miles today over to the inlaws house.  It will cruise at 50, which is damn fast enough for me.  I have the 650 XT and we love it.  Power steering would be good for any of those UTVs.  

It has a differential lock and will climb and mud with the best.  The Arctic Cats seem to be cheaper and the interest now is 1.9% on all 2009s.

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top