Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2002 7:10:19 AM EDT
I don't have much experience with tactical bolt guns. Just curious what your thoughts are on the best one out there. Any comments as to why you like the one/s that you do. The poll only allows for 5 choices, so feel free to write in your personal favorite if it's not listed. Thanks.

P.S.- This obviously isn't a bolt gun, but tell me this SIG 550 Sniper isn't incredible!!
[img]world.guns.ru/sniper/sig_sg550sniper.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a big fan of Steyr guns. They are great.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Remington is my personal favorite. Ties for second would be H+K autos, and Steyr ssg.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Remington is my personal favorite. Ties for second would be H+K and Steyr.
View Quote

As far as I know HK doesn't make a tactical bolt gun.....do they?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:22:15 AM EDT
[#4]
You are correct, they do not. I tried to edit the post and screwed it up. Just putting in two cents for an auto.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but arn't bolt guns a fairly simple operating weapon? Would that make personal choices based on ergonomics and quality of craftsmanship/materials alone?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Remington seems to be an early favorite. Anyone care to explain what makes it a better choice than say the Steyr or SIG's?

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but arn't bolt guns a fairly simple operating weapon? Would that make personal choices based on ergonomics and quality of craftsmanship/materials alone?
View Quote

I'd say accuracy and reliability would be important in choosing a rifle, too. Availability of aftermarket triggers and other accessories might even be important.

Also, depending on the "tactical" use, you might  want to have several team members using the same model for training purposes, ammo and/or magazine sharing, and the like.

If it's just the one shooter, buy whatever you like and spray paint it black so it looks tactical.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Nobody likes the Winchester Model 70? Its a very accurate and dependable bolt rifle.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:44:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I voted for the Remington 700, but I ended up buying a Rem 40XC with the adjustable cheek piece and butt pad.  Makes for perfect scope alignment and the stock itself is relatively light, considering it also has the built in accessory rail.  20" stainless HB is easy to work with as well, not too long, but long enough for the long shots!
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nobody likes the Winchester Model 70? Its a very accurate and dependable bolt rifle.
View Quote

Overpriced in my opinion and not enough people stand by it.  I've heard better stories about the Ruger Varmint M77 than the Win.  You have any experience with it?  Any pics of your setup to share?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Rem for me....I don't have much experience with the others.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#12]
While the Rem has in the past been one of the best on the market, quality is not one of their strengths now. A very good hunting buddy recently bought a rem 700 varmint 220 swift that had machine marks INSIDE the barrel. Add to that the plastic key that tended to bind the action.
I have two older rem700"s that I would not take anything for, but they are at least 15 years old, and the craftsmanship differences are remarkable.
For my next bolt gun purchase I may just have to look closer at the savage tac. or the win 70 coyote ....fullclip
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I've never been to big a fan of semi-auto sniper rifles. The 700 RULES ALL.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I own a McMillan M86, Steyr SSG, and 700PSS.  That is the order I would rate them.  With Steyr's future in doubt the obvious choice is a Remington 700.  With a little tweaking it will do anything that needs doing.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I 2nd that motion for Winchester MOD 70
Mine is a XTR sporter mag in 7mmRemMag
It's a TACK DRIVER!! keyholes at 100yds.
Mod 70 IS supreme!!!

jus MY .02$
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#17]
You guys are missing the best one out there!!
Sig R93 Blaser Tactical LRS/LRS2.  It is available chambered in .308 Win,300 Win Mag, And 338 Lapua Mag.

I own a Blaser LRS, an HS precision,both the Steyr and Sig SSGs, as well as a Sako.  The highend guns edge out the Remingtons and Winchesters with better out of the box accuracy, better design, better trigger pulls, better barrels, better stocks, and better
scope mounting systems.

Not to slight the Remingtons or Winchesters, by the time you add all the aftermarket stuff you have spent the kind of money that a high end rifle costs. It is like comparing a Camaro to a Ferrari or Bently,  You can make the Camaro go fast, but it won't be a Ferrari when you are finished.  

Just my opinion.  (sorry Camaro people)
Cheers,
Gert
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
keyholes at 100yds.
Mod 70 IS supreme!!!

jus MY .02$
View Quote

I wouldn't want a tactical rifle that can't stabilize bullets at that distance [;)]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You guys are missing the best one out there!!
Sig R93 Blaser Tactical LRS/LRS2.  It is available chambered in .308 Win,300 Win Mag, And 338 Lapua Mag.

I own a Blaser LRS, an HS precision,both the Steyr and Sig SSGs, as well as a Sako.  The highend guns edge out the Remingtons and Winchesters with better out of the box accuracy, better design, better trigger pulls, better barrels, better stocks, and better
scope mounting systems.

Not to slight the Remingtons or Winchesters, by the time you add all the aftermarket stuff you have spent the kind of money that a high end rifle costs. It is like comparing a Camaro to a Ferrari or Bently,  You can make the Camaro go fast, but it won't be a Ferrari when you are finished.  

Just my opinion.  (sorry Camaro people)
Cheers,
Gert
View Quote

Anyone can buy a hotrod or precision gun, but building it yourself is half the fun!!...  fullclip
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Ordered a 700VS in .308 last week. [beer]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:50:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I think the swiss made K31 would make a great tactical bolt gun. Free floated barrel, vrey good accuracy, and the straight pull bolt design allows the rounds to be cycled more quickly than any other bolt gun I've ever seen or handled.

[img]http://www.student.smsu.edu/s/srv656s/k31-1.jpg[/img]

Shawn
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I gotta vote for the Remington 700 series.  Handsdown, for an American its the best choice.  It has the best aftermarket with stocks, barrels, triggers, scopemounts etc.etc.etc.   Also easiest to find a quality gunsmith for the 700.   (hemmm Iron Brigade Armory... shameless plug, I'm a big fan of their work)

If I had to chose a second?  The Accuracy International rifles are a fairly sweet bolt gun.  Dang expensive on this side of the pond... wonder if Malcom sells em' any cheaper on the far side of the pond?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#23]
What's the new caliber supposed to eclipse the .50 in long range?  Is is a .460 or something?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#24]
[url]http://www.sako.fi/military.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Winchester M-70, pre '64. That is, if by tatical, you mean very, very accurate and reliable. These are also reasonably priced and you'll always be able to get your money out of it! You won't win the mall ninja contest though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#26]
For the shooter who refuses to move around....
[img]benchrest.com/youngrails/onthebench.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I will have to go with my .308 Rem. 700 PSS 20'', nice clover shaped holes all day long.[:d]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Is that Rem. 308 PSS a 20 or 24. Or a LTR? For my money the Remington hands down. What other rifle will consistently shoot as accurately for as long for the price. Accessories are there. All the research has been done on how to make them shoot.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.sako.fi/military.html[/url]
View Quote

Seconded, not because the rifles come from here, but for the quality of the weapons.

Sure, there are a wide variety of aftermarket parts, gunsmiths etc.. for Rem 700 rifles and others. But with the Sako TRG you dont have to play around, out of the box it will be extremely accurate, reliable and has a adjustments in the stock and trigger.

[img]http://www.sako.fi/pics/military_trg42.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What's the new caliber supposed to eclipse the .50 in long range?  Is is a .460 or something?
View Quote

I believe you are thinking about the .418 Chey Tac
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#31]
What, no Savage?

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 4:07:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Carlos hathcock seemed to like them. I have one in .243, made in 1965 (missed the classic one by a year). Sub MOA with zero modifications. But, I admit, the Rem 700 action is King. It is used  by more competition shooters than anything else.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#33]
A custom remington would be the best way to go.  With the selection of aftermarket stuff this gun can me custom fit to any shooters preferences. Any decent smith and work on them. As a side bonus, even a custom is cheaper than those high end "tactical euro guns".  For the person on a budget a Savage will do, after all mine will shoot dime sized groups at 100yds.  Not bad for a rifle that cost $350 brand spankin new.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
keyholes at 100yds.
Mod 70 IS supreme!!!

jus MY .02$
View Quote

I wouldn't want a tactical rifle that can't stabilize bullets at that distance [;)]
View Quote

OOPS!! Let me rephrase that.The bullet holes
"cloverleaf" at 100yds. They don't "tumble"
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 4:48:28 AM EDT
[#36]
I am partial to the 700. I have a PSS in a 308.

However I got a look at the new Ruger VLE in a .223, I must admit, they did a nice job on it... I absolutely love the 2 stage trigger, the stock in nice, the wide fore end is comfortable, its nice of them to throw in a Harris Bipod. The things I would have liked better on it.....  I would have liked a heavier barrel, a 1/9 twist instead of 1/12, and being able to use weaver style bases instead of the Ruger type rings, or at least have rings that match the rest of the rifle.  I will probably buy one.

I have yet to see the Win or the Savage, I would also like to see the CZ
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:31:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Winchester Mod 70.

I have a VHB model in .308Win that I can consistently shoot sub-MOA groups all day long using either Federal Match or my own reloads.  By the way, the VHB uses an H&S Precision stock with the aluminum bedding block.  I think this is a key to much of the inherent accuracy of this fine piece.  

It is reliable and proven.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top