Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2002 9:08:32 PM EDT
Or if you guys can point me to a good frontPage website.

I accidentally deleted the folder that had my webpage stuff in it.
Is there a way to download those page from my site, and recover it that way. Or do I have to restart a new again?

TIA
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I may be misunderstanding the question,

but if the site exists somewhere you can go to the tool bar at the top of Internet explorer, click on view, then click source and it will give you all the html.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I may be misunderstanding the question,

but if the site exists somewhere you can go to the tool bar at the top of Internet explorer, click on view, then click source and it will give you all the html.
View Quote

I tried that but Frontpage doesn't recognize it and I can't edit from there.
It works on my intro page, since I used actual HTML coding, but the rest of the page won't allow me to edit it using Frontpage if I go that route.
Maybe I'll just start using HTML on the rest of the pages. Man that's gonna take me foreever. I can't type and aligning the shit is tough
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
You can go to
file
save as

it will automatically make it an html and also gives you some different formats to choose from

I don't know what format frontpage uses

Probably easier than copying and pasting anyways

Shoulda thought of that first, Doh!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
FYI, they key to aligning stuff is tables. Lots and lots of tables...
View Quote

And, tables within tables.  That's the real key to more complicated layouts.z

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I assume you're talking about deleting your local copy.

Does the server you are using have the FrontPage extensions installed? (You would click 'File > Publish' if the extensions are installed.

If so, click 'File > Open web' and in the 'folder name' area put 'http://www.whatever.com', then click 'open'.

It should open the website on the server and you will be working 'live' with those files (ie, be careful). So at this point, click 'File > Publish Web' again and in the 'publish to' area, browse to an empty folder on your local disk 'C:\newfolder'.
It should transfer everything in your online website to that local directory.
(But it will be in the funky FrontPage format with all kinds of folders you don't recognize that start with 'vti_') *dont* delete any of these, because they're required for FP to work properly and keep track of files.

Now...if you don't have server extensions installed (there's no 'Publish' feature available, or it gives you an error when you try to connect). Just grab a good FTP program like WS_FTP [url]http://www.ftpplanet.com/download.htm[/url] and open up the directory on the server (it's pretty self explanatory, things like 'location', password, etc.) and FTP them to your local computer.

Did this make sense? If not, lemme know and I'll try to clarify.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Learn HTML and XML. Microsoft's tools always puts a bunch of garbage in the web page. While learning HTML and XML may be a little painful at first..it is worth it in the long run.

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I assume you're talking about deleting your local copy.

Does the server you are using have the FrontPage extensions installed? (You would click 'File > Publish' if the extensions are installed.

If so, click 'File > Open web' and in the 'folder name' area put 'http://www.whatever.com', then click 'open'.

It should open the website on the server and you will be working 'live' with those files (ie, be careful). So at this point, click 'File > Publish Web' again and in the 'publish to' area, browse to an empty folder on your local disk 'C:\newfolder'.
It should transfer everything in your online website to that local directory.
(But it will be in the funky FrontPage format with all kinds of folders you don't recognize that start with 'vti_') *dont* delete any of these, because they're required for FP to work properly and keep track of files.

Now...if you don't have server extensions installed (there's no 'Publish' feature available, or it gives you an error when you try to connect). Just grab a good FTP program like WS_FTP [url]http://www.ftpplanet.com/download.htm[/url] and open up the directory on the server (it's pretty self explanatory, things like 'location', password, etc.) and FTP them to your local computer.

Did this make sense? If not, lemme know and I'll try to clarify.
View Quote

Makes sense to me. I will try that.

DVD Tracker, I hear ya man. I have Homesite5.0 and was thinking of starting over with that. I guess that's the next step is to actually build the damn thing my self.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top