Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/11/2009 6:10:47 AM EDT
It is my firm belief that a window of opportunity exists to forward 2nd Amendment rights while exercising our 1st Amendment right as well.  During these town hall protests, I firmly believe that all protestors that can, should OC their firearms.

As long as they are on a public street/sidewalk and not actually on a piece of property where firearms are not permitted (varies by state/city/town) – then I see no reason why protesting health care reform while wearing a pistol on your hip would not be 100% legal.

Will the Popo be nervous? – yes, but as long as the protesters are knowledgeable about their rights and are protesting in a legal and non-violent manner – this is a WIN all around.

I'd do it here in my area.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:12:33 AM EDT
[#1]
OC to a TH, you are going to get fucked in your ass like never before.

I strongly discourage this.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:13:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Consider the leftist media will say right wing, armed KKK'ers or right wing Republicans are orchestrating dissent at those meetings.  Better to appear as a dissenting leftist who doesn't buy Obamacare.  If they think they're losing their own support base, then it'll swing them more to a centralist position.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Why, if you are outside the venue and on a sidewalk, and you are a responsible person  - why not
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:14:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It is my firm belief that a window of opportunity exists to forward 2nd Amendment rights while exercising our 1st Amendment right as well.  During these town hall protests, I firmly believe that all protestors that can, should OC their firearms.

As long as they are on a public street/sidewalk and not actually on a piece of property where firearms are not permitted (varies by state/city/town) – then I see no reason why protesting health care reform while wearing a pistol on your hip would not be 100% legal.

Will the Popo be nervous? – yes, but as long as the protesters are knowledgeable about their rights and are protesting in a legal and non-violent manner – this is a WIN all around.

I'd do it here in my area.

This will be a great way to make many people unsympathetic to your cause.

If most gun owners don't like OC, imagine how much of the general public will dislike OC at a political protest!
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:14:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:15:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Popo will make shit up to throw you in jail. Hope you have some friends/family/lawyer at the ready to bail you out and fight whatever bullshit charge they come up with.

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:17:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Are you out of your freaking mind?  We're already being painted as right wing loonies, hell Dingell compared us to the KKK.  And you want to open carry?  

Insanity.  Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:17:30 AM EDT
[#8]
It wasn't that many years ago that OC was considered normal - The pussification of this country isn't going to change by pretending you are a leftist against heath reform.  It's going to change when people see that responsible behavior is really OK and they can do it too.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:18:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Consider the leftist media will say right wing, armed KKK'ers or right wing Republicans are orchestrating dissent at those meetings.  Better to appear as a dissenting leftist who doesn't buy Obamacare.  If they think they're losing their own support base, then it'll swing them more to a centralist position.

Fuck all that... who gives a shit?

You're opening yourself to all kinds of "terroristic threats" charges and shit like that if you go "brandishing" holstered sidearms.

Seriously... any kinds of weapons at any assembly such as this will be interpreted in ways not in your favor, and you won't get much support if any from the sidelines.... as you can be goddamn certain the media and politicians both will crawl way far up your ass to paint you as a madman holocaust denier with grand plans of rampaging murder.

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#10]
No. You're just going to validate the leftards assertion about brown shirts and such. Choose your battles.

This is not the time or the place. You WILL damage our cause.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Bad idea- it will be seen as being intimidating the opposition.  CCW - fine, open carry no.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:22:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It wasn't that many years ago that OC was considered normal - The pussification of this country isn't going to change by pretending you are a leftist against heath reform.  It's going to change when people see that responsible behavior is really OK and they can do it too.

In case you haven't been paying attention, we're in an era where freedom is not running rampant,

shootings are happening every fucking day lately,

and all of the attention is currently focused on right wing domestic terrorist white supremacist extremists.

We are not in an environment where making two stands at once, by combining political protests and guns, is wise.

I'm not sure those two EVER mix unless you're intending the kind of business that ends only one way.

This isn't about being a fucking pussy, it's about having a brain capable of rational thought processes!

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Not just no, HELL NO!

The left is already throwing everything but the kitchen sink at us trying to make something stick.  Having a bunch of wannabe tough guys open carrying to a meeting with a member of Congress?  Words cannot express the FAIL that would result.

We are winning this fight, the most important thing to do is to stay on message and not get distracted by the increasingly shrill accusations being leveled by the Dems.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Wow. No way. That is truly a bad idea.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:23:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Agreed.

OC in a gov't building is illegal, and town halls are local gov't buildings...

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:23:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I think that's a good way to hurt both causes.  

Always remember and play to your audience.

-K
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:23:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm 53 years old.  Never in my life has open carry been considered "normal".
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:23:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I think that if in your normal day you OC - go for it.  But if you normally don't carry or CC then i'd continue to do that.  I don't know that i'd oc just to grab attention.

If you do decide to oc at these heated events, i'd strongly suggest that you use a retention holster of some type.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:26:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I would go for the complete opposite of what you are considering.  I think at this point in our country's history, these townhall meetings are the worst place to exercise our 2A rights.  The media would destroy us over it right now.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:26:38 AM EDT
[#20]
One fight at a time.

All you'd do is give the enemy ammunition against us.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#21]
It is funny listening to all the web warriors talk about "over my dead body" then, when something like that comes up where you can actually make a stand without violence people get all poo poo about the idea.

When do you think the lib media will ever be on our side? Do we really care what they have to say at this point?

That said there might be some venues that OC might be a bad idea.

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:29:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I would go for the complete opposite of what you are considering.  I think at this point in our country's history, these townhall meetings are the worst place to exercise our 2A rights. The media would destroy us over it right now.

That is one huge understatement.

One man, he'd likely be railroaded head a'spinnin.
If this was a group effort though.... the media's head would asplode.

They'd accuse us of flat out provoking war and everything else under the sun.

And shit, even to my way of thinking... I'd probably agree that bringing guns to a protest is interpretable as some sort of escalation.

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:30:40 AM EDT
[#23]
NONONONONONONO

the Loving, Caring, OPEN MINDED DEOCRATS are already calling the protestors NAZI, RACIST, KKK member and RIGHT WING EXTEMEISTS and teh PRESS is EATING THAT UP

adding an open carry protest to it will only give them more fuel to the fire and a beat down by LEO for daring to do so,,especilly if there is a CONGRESSCRITTER within a mile of your local..

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:32:56 AM EDT
[#24]
All it takes is one agent provocateur to bring along a gun and start waving it around and/or discharging it and gun owners are completely fucked
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:32:58 AM EDT
[#25]
That's a very bad idea.  All you would do is confuse the issue you are protesting.  I predict it's going to become increasingly harder for the grass roots protesters to stay on topic anyway.  Dilute your message and you are lost.  What does open carry add to the dialogue?

Oh, and showing up openly armed at what already has been one of the more contentious issues in politics lately and expect to be cuffed and stuffed.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#26]
this is a great way to give the MSM something OTHER THAN THE ISSUE AT HAND to actually talk about.

MSM ridiculing "dangerous" and "provocative" open-carry by "radical conservatives" = WIN for Obama (on more than one front).

MSM not having anything else to talk about...  except the ISSUES at hand (you know, "healthcare") = opportunity for Joe Taxpayer.

Not to mention, it WILL blow up and people WILL get hurt, and it will be blamed solely on the "radical/racist conservatives," etc etc.

I wish the country were different, but that's the way it is.   Oh, and the first person to get shot (lawfully or not) will also be captured on video and used as justification for more "common sense gun control" in the future.   Be smart - you know OC is asking for trouble in these situations, be a better man and avoid the fight.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm not saying that there wouldn't be problems awith the media, but cherry picking our support for the constitution will just mean that Sotamayor and the other libs will rewrite it for us.  

My position is still  - If it's legal, then why not.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:38:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Go for it OP.  Just make sure you have a friend who can post here what happens, because you sure as shit won't be able to.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:40:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Inappropriate.  One topic at a time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:42:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm not saying that there wouldn't be problems awith the media, but cherry picking our support for the constitution will just mean that Sotamayor and the other libs will rewrite it for us.  

Because it's just a stupid thing to do.

It's legal to cross the road, but stupid to do it when a semi is coming.

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:42:15 AM EDT
[#31]
What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Because the action will be used to further marginalize and discredit people speaking out against the health care plan.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:43:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:43:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Because legal or not, there is some shit that you just don't do.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

He lives in Vermont, they have the best gun laws in the country, no gun laws.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#37]
In many states, I believe you could wind up getting charged with Menacing. It's like brandishing-lite.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:47:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Follow all State and Local laws, but exercise your RIGHTS.

If you don't exercise your Rights, you will lose them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX1YzS_CYIw&feature=player_embedded
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:48:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is quite possibly the WORST idea I've ever heard. Are you TRYING to hand the libs a victory? Have you not seen the press coverage this has gotten so far? Throw a bunch of people on some absurd OC crusade into the mix and it will get WORSE.

Terrible idea. HORRIBLE idea.

In Virginia there are activists who have openly carried to political meetings...and it's always been covered as some sort of threat by the press. State issues don't get that much play....you start sticking guns into the Obama agenda and it'll be all over the fucking news.

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:49:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Talking about shooting oneself in the foot!
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:49:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
No. You're just going to validate the leftards assertion about brown shirts and such. Choose your battles.

This is not the time or the place. You WILL damage our cause.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDIkpY6QsQU
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He lives in Vermont, they have the best gun laws in the country, no gun laws.

Fuckin' A right - All states should have VT's laws.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody is "cherry picking" anything.

Politics is a game, not unlike football. When your stated goal is to beat your opponent it is pretty fucking stupid to hand them ready-made propaganda material. THAT is "why not". It is legal to show up at these protests with big signs that call Barack Obama the N word....it is also beyond fucking stupid to do it IF your goal is actually winning.

If your goal is to draw attention to yourself, the N word or openly displaying a firearm will work beautifully.

Remember that Obama campaign office with a big glorious portrait of Che Guevara in it? Remember how little press coverage that got? The exact inverse will happen if some assclown shows up to one of these town hall things openly carrying a gun.

Do we really care what they think of us?

Maybe we should just join Rosa Parks at the back of the bus when it comes to our Rights. Is that what you are saying?

If it's LEGAL, do it. If it's a Right, exercise it. Period. Anyone calling you names for doing so IS THE ENEMY of everything this Country is supposed to stand for.

It's the SAME fight. Us against them. Right against Wrong. Freedom against Tyranny.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:54:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Why don't you stay home so you don't make the rest of us look like nutjobs?

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:54:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Why don't you stay home so you don't make the rest of us look like nutjobs?

Yeah, because staying home has always been a winning strategy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Do we really care what they think of us?

Maybe we should just join Rosa Parks at the back of the bus when it comes to our Rights. Is that what you are saying?

If it's LEGAL, do it. If it's a Right, exercise it. Period. Anyone calling you names for doing so IS THE ENEMY of everything this Country is supposed to stand for.

It's the SAME fight. Us against them. Right against Wrong. Freedom against Tyranny.

You pretty much have to be autistic to not realize the way people might interpret bringing guns to a protest
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:56:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:58:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top