Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2002 5:38:18 PM EDT
(this topic is also on the firearms discussion board, but wasn't going fast enough)

So do I, but I'm not crazy about either 1.)breaking the law, or 2.)being a sucker enough to fork over an extra grand for this evil feature on a "preban."  

So, the proposed solution:  taking an ATF approved (large) thumbhole stock, and making it collapsible.  You would still have a good grip, plus the evil collapsible stock, without offending the AW ban.  What do you all think about this idea??
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#2]
are you sure that NO thumbhole stock has ever been approved??  if not, then what kind of stock would be suitable as collapsible, yet giving a good grip.  It would be, like those 18 year old ladies, BARELY LEGAL, but, LEGAL nonetheless.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
are you sure that NO thumbhole stock has ever been approved??  if not, then what kind of stock would be suitable as collapsible, yet giving a good grip.  It would be, like those 18 year old ladies, BARELY LEGAL, but, LEGAL nonetheless.
View Quote

with an ar, there is no alternative. without the pistol grip the weapon becomes ungainly, and impractical. and converting an approved stock to a collapsable is in violation of the "law".

the closest thing you could legally do is to get a collapsable stock and have it perminately wealded in one position.

or you could just say f8ck the "law", but i wont go there right now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#5]
anyone have any ATF documents/correspondences to cite here?  I was not aware that it was illegal to convert a legal stock to a collapsible stock.  It is not actually the item itself that is illegal, but the configuration of the items.  therefore, I don't see the problem, as long as you stay at or below the RDA for evil features.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#6]
youdont really have to fork over an extra grand.prebans still are around for 1000, if you get a post ban for 1000 less than that. you doing damn well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#7]
matt- if you can find a real preban AR for 1000 bucks.....you're either a damned liar, or a very lucky SOB indeed.  Where do you find genuine prebans for a grand?
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
matt- if you can find a real preban AR for 1000 bucks.....you're either a damned liar, or a very lucky SOB indeed.  Where do you find genuine prebans for a grand?
View Quote

A couple of WAC/Puyallup gunshows ago, a pair of women were selling off what I presume was a relative's estate.  They had an old AR-15, definitely preban, in decent shape, for about $500.  Yes, a whole rifle, not just a lower.  If I'd been employed, I would've grabbed it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I got my Colt Preban in September for $800!  It's in NEW condition, and only had a few mags run through it!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Not sure if this will work for you, but here the solution to your 'problem'.

[img]http://www.zmweapons.com/images/Horzgrip.jpg[/img]

$45.

[url]http://www.zmweapons.com/index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#12]
HK- that setup looks damn strange- what is it called?  I wonder how it would shoot.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#13]
or just make the damn magazine non detachble and there for the weapon is no longer a AW and can have all the "evil" parts it wants
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#14]
You will need to visualize this one:

Take a regular AR15 lower.

Place a solid machined piece of aluminum flush with the lower where the pistol grip goes.

Machine a threaded hole through the center of the machined aluminum.

Take a metal bar (like the side grip from one of those BF drills) that has threads to screw into the solid piece of aluminum where the pistol grip was.

Make up some sort of side trigger actuator or an actual side mount trigger (plate with a trigger mounted sideways, attached to the trigger pin)

You will end up with an AR15 lower that has the "pistol grip" sticking out of the right side. You will pull the trigger just like a gang banger does when he holds the pistol sideways.

It's a thought. At least it would look cool if birdman.org did it.

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Got me a nice pristine Colt SP-1 on Saturday for $954, tax, NICS, & 3 mags included...

...No kidding
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#16]
... some citizens may advocate civil disobedience
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top