Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2002 5:17:58 PM EDT
I am looking for a web site that has reviews on rear speakers for a surround sound system. I currently have a set of dipole (<--not sure of the spelling) speakers and need to find a stand to hang them from the ceiling, but was thinking instead of buying a pair of Bose speakers just for the rears. The front, center and powered sub are all Infinity speakers.

I think having a pair of the small Bose speakers hanging from the ceiling would be a lot better than having the other larger speakers hanging from the ceiling. It would be much less of an eye sore.

As a result, it would be great to have a web site that has reviews and suggestions for purchasing just 2 pair of Bose speakers. One must exist, but have not been able to find one.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I would avoid Bose.

This won't be a popular answer with some, but it's well known in the audio community that Bose are overpriced, overrated, underperforming units.  They use cheap driver elements, and lot's of equalization electronics to try and compensate for that.

Yes, they may sound good in the store, but that's because they boost up what sells, the bass.  Just like tv makers overboost the blue to sell tv sets, they tweek the speakers to sell.  You end up with inaccurate sound that can be tiring to listen to, compared to better brands.

Stick with Infinity.  

There is/was a Bose FAQ on the web [url]http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
[Bose] overpriced, overrated, underperforming units
View Quote

Absolutely true, but JThompson is looking for something very small to mount on his ceiling to use as [i]rear[/i] speakers.  They, like any other cheap speaker, should do acceptable.  If you want to get more serious, then I suggest getting something that matches your front speakers as close as possible.  Maybe a set of Infinity's w/o the sub since you have Infinity's upfront?

If you can't find the Infinity's you like, then you might want to consider in the wall speakers or the Paradigm Atom's.  I think the in the wall (or ceiling in this case) looks sophisticated.  While you're not going to get great sound quality out of them, they should do well enough for the rear.  About the Paradigm Atom's, in my limited experience, they're the best sounding small (whatever that means) speakers I've heard.  They're 11"x7"x9", and I've seen them sell for $170 and less.  My current speakers are nearly 40 years old, and when they quit, I'm going to buy a pair of the Atom's.  Now that I think about it, a nice pair of oak cabinets should be worth more than $170.z
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Try this one:
[url]http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html[/url]

I think that even Bose would advise against mixing their units with other makes. Bose cubes are designed to be used with the Bose bass unit. The small speakers do not carry a full range of sound.

Bose speakers are like Glocks: everyone either loves them or hates them. I hate them. IMHO, they are very weak in the midrange. The cubes have good high end, and the bass unit has good low end, but the middle, like human voices, gets washed out.

The general rule of thumb is that all speakers in a surround system should be of the same general type of construction. Every article on the subject I have ever read recommends not to mix brands, and many have said that very different models by the same manufacturer do not work together.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a set of Infinity Interlude 40's for my main speakers.  They are incredible.  Infinity makes complimentary rear speakers to match that are fantastic as well.  In addition, they make several different subs and centers.  I'm a big proponent of keeping speakers of the same brand rather than mixing and matching.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out [url]www.hometheaterforum.com[/url]. There is a huge amount of information there in the forums.

For in wall/ceiling speakers you might take a look at Klipsch. I have Klipsch and love them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top