Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2002 3:24:52 PM EDT
[url]http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-020131guns.story?coll=chi%2Dnews%2Dhed[/url]

Daley, suburban officials push local gun laws

Tribune staff reports
Published January 30, 2002, 1:12 PM CST

Joined by officials from 12 suburbs, Mayor Richard Daley today chided the state legislature for failing last year to pass bills banning assault weapons and licensing gun shops, and he called on individual municipalities to enact local ordinances to do so.

"These two reasonable proposals would protect our citizens without causing the slightest inconvenience to law-abiding hunters, sport shooters or people who feel a gun is necessary to protect their home," Daley said at a news conference at Chicago police headquarters.

Daley made his remarks with representatives of Safe Communities Fighting Gun Violence, whose members include Chicago, Buffalo Grove, Elmwood Park, Evanston, Lynwood, Midlothian, Melrose Park, Northbrook, Oak Lawn, Palatine, Prospect Heights, Riverdale and Wilmette.

"We'll continue to fight in Springfield, but we do not intend to sit on our hands waiting for the General Assembly to act," Daley said. "We intend to pass these measures at the local level, village by village."

Chicago and some suburbs already have adopted local ordinances banning assault weapons and licensing gun dealers, officials said.

A model ordinance endorsed by the group would declare unlawful the sale and possession of 60 specific models of assault rifles and pistols, and magazines with a capacity of more than 12 rounds. Federal law already bans the sale of assault weapons, but Daley said that measure has too many loopholes and is due to expire soon.

The model ordinance also would license gun dealers and require them to report gun sales to local police departments.

Sales information would be entered into a computer database that could be made available on request to other law enforcement agencies. Also, if a resident of one municipality purchased a gun in another, that information would be reported to the buyer's hometown. The measure also would prohibit dealers from selling handguns to residents of Chicago and other municipalities that have banned the private ownership of such firearms.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Man I dont miss living in Illinois!  Daley really needs the boot out of ChiTown!

[beer]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#2]
that thirteenth round is the killer i hear!
damn unlucky too!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn't it a crime to act in direct opposition to the constitution of a State or the Federal Government? Isn't then Daley a criminal? Why has he not been arrested for his attempts to circumvent the constitution of the state of Illinois? You would think the fact that Chicago is the gun murder capitol of North America would be enough to prove that banning guns (like in Chicago) is NOT the answer to gun crime!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I mean no flames to those of you living in Cook Country Illinois.

That I'm aware, since 1962 Cook County has followed only those portions of the Constitution of the United States deemed desirable to follow at that moment - if any.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#6]
12 rounds?  Damn son, you need to come to a free state like MD...we're allowed 20!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Uhhh... Forgive my ignorance, but I thought gun "dealers" already had to have licenses?

havoc

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Stand and fight or break and run?

There is nothing left to lose now that the line has been crossed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#10]
When I read this, I was fuming. Then I realized its not worth getting pissed about.  

I live in one of those towns.   Each year I hear about some politican wanting to make me a crimial. Each year, I face becoming a felon, the year before I was not.  Fuck them.
Fuck Chicago, and its politics.  

I dont think this is going to go anywhere. People are buying like crazy.  
If it does go somewhere, I have just become a crimial, a felon.   Oh well, I just have to be a good one.  
At least crimials dont have to fight for this government, or pay taxes, or even drive the speed limit.  
I promise to be the best crimial out there.
c-rock
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Next he'll be declaring himself ruler for life.  Time to feed the hogs, dontcha think?
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Next he'll be declaring himself ruler for life.  Time to feed the hogs, dontcha think?
View Quote

Okay class, altogether, everyone say "ELECTION FRAUD".
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#15]
What could be happening in Chicago to warrant new gun control/banning laws?

Let's check with the Chicago Police Department:
[b][url=http://w5.ci.chi.il.us./communitypolicing/Statistics/Reports/9900AnnRprt/9900AnnualReport.html]1999-2000 Chicago Police Annual Report[/url][/b]

In year 2000, there were 1,332 assaults/batteries committed against Chicago Police Officers
* 76% (1015/1332)of all attacks upon police officers were with hands/feet. (74% in 1999)
* 14.4%(192/1332) of all attacks upon police officers were with "other". (15.7% in1999)
* 0.3% (4/1332) of all attacks upon police officers were with officer's own firearm (0.2% in 1999)
[b]* just 6.6% (89/1332) of all attacks upon police officers were with firearms. (6.5% in 1999)
* There was a 5% drop in "weapons possessions" arrests in year 2000 in Chicago compared to 1999
* 74% of all murders in year 2000 were committed with firearms  ("about same percentage as previous seven years" quoted from above report)[/b]

In summary, it seems to me that:
[b]1) Firearms are not a major threat to Chicago Police Officers to warrant more gun control/banning laws.
2) There is no "crisis" or "explosion" of guns on the streets that would warrant more gun control/banning laws.
3) There is no "proliferation" in firearm murders in the past seven years to warrant more gun control/banning laws.
[/b]
---------------------------------------------------------

What about the fearful "Assault Weapon" crimes that warrant banning such Evil guns:
The most recent [b]murder-by-gun-type data[/b] is from [url=http://w5.ci.chi.il.us./cp/Statistics/Reports/96AnnRprt/AnnRep.html]1996 Chicago Police Annual Report[/url]
(since % murders by all firearms in 1996 (75%) is similar to year 2000, assume murder-by-gun-type is also steady)

Weapons use in commission of murder (1995, 1996)
Total Murders....... 827, 789
.  handguns......... 523 (63%), 521 (66%)
.  shotguns.......... 17 (21%), 7 (0.1%)
[b].  rifles......... 14 (1.7%), 4 (0.5%)[/b]
.  unknown type...... 55 (6.6%), 65 (8%)
Total Firearms...... 609, 597
Cutting Instrument... 85 (10%), 80 (10%)
Other Object/Subst... 68 (8%), 64 (8%)
Hands/Feet/Fists..... 65 (8%), 48 (6%)

In the year 1996, total firearms "recovered" by Police was 15,141.
[b]Of these, the total number of  "Assault weapons" recovered was 379 (just 2.5%)[/b]
"Assault weapons" recovered by type:
. Intratec Weapons (238)
. AK47s/SKS Weapons (73)
. Cobray SWD (41)
. Uzis (18)
. Colt AR15 (6)
. Street Sweepers (3)

In summary, once again, it seems that:
[b]1) "Assault Weapons" account for at most 0.5% (if all "rifle" murders were AWs) of all murders in Chicago.
2) Very few (2.5%) of "recovered" weapons are "Assault Weapons", so there's no evidence of evil criminal mobs stockpiling/selling illegal black rifles in Chicago.
---------------------------------------------------------

All in all, the crime data do not support the notion that the streets of Chicago will be any safer with more gun laws/bans.

[red]So why ban more "Assault Weapons" and why push for more gun control/confiscation laws in Chicago?[/red]

Any Chicagoans out there want to pass this one by His Majesty the Honorable Mayor Richard Daley?
[/b]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
12 rounds?  Damn son, you need to come to a free state like MD...we're allowed 20!
View Quote

I'm not feeling the sarcasm like I should when you say "free state" and "allowed 20"... come to a free state that allows Beta C-Mags. Too bad no full autos, SBR's and SBS's in WA [}:(]
View Quote

Please remember Chicago is NOT the whole state of IL. There are NO restrictions on mag size in the rest of IL.

I have plenty of 20's and 30's to attest to that fact. Just can't afford the Beta-C mag yet...

Av.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

[b][red]Oh my God![/red][b]  We've got to [size=4][b]BAN HANDS, FEET & FISTS[/b]![/size=4]  Do it now -- it's for the children.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[b][red]Oh my God![/red][b]  We've got to [size=4][b]BAN HANDS, FEET & FISTS[/b]![/size=4]  Do it now -- it's for the children.
View Quote

Yes, they are OBVIOUSLY more deadly than rifles and shotguns - combined.  Statistics don't lie!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Let me just say it this way:

I have several lines. You push me over those lines and you will be sorry.

1) You will not make a gun I legally own Illegal. If you do, well then go to hell. I will not sell off my guns to comply with the ban du jour.

2) You will not take away my RKBA with an Ex Post Facto Law. Again, I will not sell off my firearms. I will indeed continue to own and possess and perhaps buy since Ex Post Facto Laws are unconstitutional.

3) You will not force me to alter a gun I legally own. If a law is passed, requiring alterations, then I will not comply. My guns will not chnage becuase some politico believes they should.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:13:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Let me just say it this way:

I have several lines. You push me over those lines and you will be sorry.

1) You will not make a gun I legally own Illegal. If you do, well then go to hell. I will not sell off my guns to comply with the ban du jour.

2) You will not take away my RKBA with an Ex Post Facto Law. Again, I will not sell off my firearms. I will indeed continue to own and possess and perhaps buy since Ex Post Facto Laws are unconstitutional.

3) You will not force me to alter a gun I legally own. If a law is passed, requiring alterations, then I will not comply. My guns will not chnage becuase some politico believes they should.
View Quote

Question authority . . . and the authorities will question you. [stick]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#21]
After losing some sleep on this last night, I have come to the conclusion of something.  
I have lived in this area all my life, and I am being made into a felon by my government.  I am learning how the jews felt in the 30's. Or the blacks in the 50's or 60's.
Or the Indians in the past.  

I am a nigger gun owner in the state.  They rather have some fag living here, or some hippie stoner tree-hugger here.   They rather I move somewhere's else.  

c-rock  
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Question authority . . . and the authorities will question you. [stick]
View Quote

and the answers are unmistakeable..[fraag] [grenade] [heavy]  [pistol][rail]
[rocket] [shotgun][sniper][uzi]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:36:04 AM EDT
[#23]
"These two reasonable proposals would protect our citizens without causing the slightest inconvenience to law-abiding hunters, sport shooters or people who feel a gun is necessary to protect their home," Daley said at a news conference at Chicago police headquarters.
View Quote

It's the divide and conquer routine.  The libs love to seperate us from those "normal" gun owners - the hunters, sport shooter, and people who feel a gun is necessary to protect their home.  Too many of the hunters, sport shooters, and home defense people buy this bull*hit too.  Pretty soon, after we have been wiped off the radar screen, one of those groups will be the next to be split off as extremist gun nuts.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top