Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2002 11:27:03 AM EDT
I've got a '71 Nova (or is it '72, hafta check) that I bought way back when.  Being a stupid kid at the time I kinda broke it and let it sit for way too long while I pursued other interests.  12 years later it's sitting in my garage and has been there for about 7 years.  It was a really sweet ride at one time but the years have taken their toll.  For a while when I moved to my new house it was parked in the driveway and about once a month someone would be knocking on my door asking what I wanted for it.  I'd always turn the offers down because I swore I was going to get it up and running someday.  One guy wanted to start the bidding at a grand, and he didn't even want the drivetrain.  Sometimes I think I shoulda taken those offers but part of me really doesn't want to get rid of it.  My wife says I'd never forgive myself if I did sell it.  I'm just contemplating selling it for, among other reasons, more firearms and/or firearms related stuff.  I was wondering what it might be worth.  Like I said, I'm not all [i]that[/i] hip on selling it so if I did, I'd want it to be well worth it.
Here's a quick description, this is off the top of my head and it's been a long time:
'71 Chevy Nova
350 +.30 over with 4 bolt mains  
10.5/1 pistons
motor balanced and blueprinted
2.02 Heads
Crane cam and 1.6 aluminum rockers (the nice ones)  The rocker arms need to be replaced, but Crane will trade for a really decent price.
I think the Valves are Morley Pro-Flows.
Edelbrock manifold and Holley 461 carb.
Accel Super Coil
B&M Built TH 400 trans w/ 3500 RPM stall converter
B&M Ratchet Shifter
10 bolt posi rear-end with 4:10 gears
Nice beefy driveshaft and u-joints/yokes with safety loop, subframe connectors, and quality slapper bars.
The brakes are all drum, but they should probably be replaced anyway
The floor and trunk pans are rusted and need to be replaced, but the body itself is in good condition.  All glass is good and the trim is complete and is also in good condition.
What did the car in was a broken intake valve (I know, I know, weekend job).  It didn't drop into the cylinder so it didn't tear too much up, just the valve guide and the top of the piston got a little dinged.
Like I said, it was a really nice car in its day.  It's been sitting a long time and needs a lot of TLC but would make a really good project car.  It doesn't run and would take a bit to get it going so it would have to be towed/trailered away.  I was thinking going $1200.00 - $1500.00 OBO.  Sound like a good price or could it be a little low?  Frankly, I think the drivetrain alone could probably get that much parted out.  Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Chris,

I have a couple Nova's, a '69 and a '72. See some pics here: [url]http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/snakeyp76/lst?.dir=/Nova&.view=t[/url]

From what you have described, I'd say your are right in the ballpark for pricing. A car needing floors is alot of work to do right, that is really what brings the price down. A solid car with a running V8 and hot pieces such as the subframe connectors and slapper bars would run in the 5K and up depending on the specifics. With what I have read, I'd start at 2K and take $1500 if offered.

HTH
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with Chris.

Its a shame how much you lose when you sell a hot rod when you add up the prices of all the parts you put into it. I'd like to know if it is diferent in other parts of the country, but around here you usually get back only about half of what you put into a car.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info comp1911.  That interior shot looks awfully familiar![;)]

PGM,
Yeah, that's about it.  Hard to get much ROI on a car.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top