Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2002 5:32:11 AM EDT
We own two gun cabinets, one with drawers and one with a large storage compartment beneath the gun rack. We presently keep most of our spare ammo there. But I am curious about alternative storage options. How do you store your spare ammo? Do you use ammo cans? Buy your ammo in battle packs? Do you keep ammo in bandoliers, ready to grab and go?

Scott

;b

------------------
ANDI: Give me that gun! What are you, a Branch Davidian? Where do you keep getting these things?
-"SAFE HOUSE" starring Patrick Stewart

[url]www.paypal.com/refer/pal=6NSG7ASACCZHG[/url]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:40:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I keep some of my ammo in my cheap ass gun safe but for themost part, I keep it in my sock drawer.  I don't have any kids around though.

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:41:09 AM EDT
[#2]
For all of my bulk ammo, I store it in GI ammo cans.  Best seal you can get and a great deal for $5 each.  I keep some ammo in the safe with my guns (along with some loaded mags), but ammo cans are better for long term storage.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:45:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I keep my ammo loose in ammo cans, one can for each seperate caliber/ammo, in alphabetical order, with a card catalog, and computer records to show what is in what can.  After you get through the retinal scanner, you say the type of target and gun, and the computer calculates the best ammo choice and a robot arm picks it up and hands it to you.  Unfortunately, it still has yet to work right.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:00:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I keep my ammo loose in ammo cans, one can for each seperate caliber/ammo, in alphabetical order, with a card catalog, and computer records to show what is in what can.  After you get through the retinal scanner, you say the type of target and gun, and the computer calculates the best ammo choice and a robot arm picks it up and hands it to you.  Unfortunately, it still has yet to work right.
View Quote

Do you have the system that filters out "assault weapons" ammo?  
My system automatically overrides certain ammo options like 5.56x45 and 7.62x39, and gives me a suitable substitute, like 22 Swift, and 30-30 Win.  Even the 9mm was added to the list with the latest update.  Now I just get .38 Special.

I hate the damn thing!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:03:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do you use ammo cans? Buy your ammo in battle packs? Do you keep ammo in bandoliers, ready to grab and go?
View Quote

Yes.  Yes to all those methods and more:

I've got a stack of ammo cans packed with Q3131A on stripper clips.  

I've got bandoliers ready to grab & go.

I've got stripper clips in sealed pouches in the buttpack of my LBE.

I've got loaded mags in pouches on the LBE.

I've got 30rd magazines loaded with 20, a stripper clip guide and strip of ammo ready to top them off, all stuck in mag pouches on a belt, ready to go.

I've got the tubs of battlepacks sitting in the garage.  

I've got a couple battlepacks stashed in the bedroom, in case I can't get downstairs to the main supplies.

Ammo sitting on shelves and ammo in the gun cabinet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:11:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:01:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Ammo?  What ammo...?

I do, however, have an excellent collection of large diameter plastic pipe.

[IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/aahmed/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#9]
My ammo doesn't stick around long enough to be stored...generally, it is delivered in a big brown truck, dropped on my front porch, and when I get it, it goes right into the truck for the trip to the range.[uzi]

The few rounds that are at home are usually kept in magazines, at-the-ready.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#10]
On stripper clips in 50 cal ammo cans. 1200 per can.

[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/pf5edffa9d6691b2ae61e49bbf797b516/fdf6cc0b.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#11]
In the magazine, in the weapon, or close to the weapon. Weapon Cocked and Locked. Why have an unloaded weapon?

(no younguns in my house) I'm talking pistol ammo.

Shotgun ammo - full magazine - stock bandolier full.

Other ammo in Wet Bar along with parts, holsters and supplies...oh yeah in a box that looks like a humidor, right next to the real humidor......
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I leave it in the boxes I buy it in untill I shoot it. Then it is stored in a mag for a little while.

Av.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Like the watch in Pulp Fiction...For 2 years I have stored my ammo in my...
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We own two gun cabinets, one with drawers and one with a large storage compartment beneath the gun rack. We presently keep most of our spare ammo there. But I am curious about alternative storage options. How do you store your spare ammo? Do you use ammo cans? Buy your ammo in battle packs? Do you keep ammo in bandoliers, ready to grab and go?
View Quote

The short answer is, "Yes".  Most of my ammo is stored in ammo cans, marked by caliber (.22, .30 Carbine, .308, .45, .32, .357/.38, etc.)

I keep a 240 rounds of .223 loaded im magazines stored with the AR15, and I keep a full web ammo belt loaded up with clips for the Garand.

I also have some ammo (mostly rimfire, some shotshells) I sealed in plastic pouches with the vacuum-type food sealer. This is intended for emergency packs, where the wet could get to the ammo.. (I have a cheap, light 20 ga. single shot with interchangable .22LR barrel that figures in certain survival scenarios.)
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Some in the safes and some in GI ammo boxes for long term (which is a relative term)..
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Labeled ammo cans.  Factory ammo left in boxes inside the cans, handloads kept in the cans loose.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#17]
in a old refrigerator to insulate it from flucuations in heat
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#19]
In magazines and on stippers in bandos and ammo cans.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#20]
The two worst enemies of ammo are moisture (usually just humidity) and heat. Just storing ammo inside where you live will take care of the heat issue. As for humidity, unless you live where there is 0%, store it in something airtight (ziplocs, vacuum sealed plastic bags, heat sealed plastic bags, or ammo cans with good rubber) and toss in a new or rejuvenated desiccant just before sealing. I am lucky enough to get desiccant bags from my work. I stick them in my oven at 240 deg. for 5-6 hours and then store them in a sealed ziploc until needed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

"He hid that ammo in his ass for two years...and I did the same....now its yours...your birthright."
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am lucky enough to get desiccant bags from my work. I stick them in my oven at 240 deg. for 5-6 hours and then store them in a sealed ziploc until needed.
View Quote

care to share yore good fortune?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 1:51:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

!!!!LOL!!!!

That's one way to keep it lubed.

Mine are still in the case lying on the floor.  I have to balance the load so the floor doesn't collapse![:O]

If Taliban paratroopers invade my neighborhood, I'll have a hard time being mobile the way my crap is.  Maybe I'll invest in some nice repainted ammo cans.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:14:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I too store mine in USGI ammo cans.  They are labeled by caliber.  The cans are stored in my bedroom closet and under my bed.  75% of it is 5.56mm for my AR.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I have to confess..
I store my ammo in its paper carton in the garage....
Its been there for two years...
Is it still okey to shoot?

It is cased commercial ammo.  It was on top of a frig.
some how it got moved closer to the water heater.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Most of what I'm "storing" is still in the original crates, two cans per crate. I have some battle packs, and quite a few prepped bandoleers in ammo cans. Pistol ammo stays in its original packaging in ammo cans until it's used. All of it stays indoors, not in the basement or garage, mainly because there's no room in the garage (too many tools and car parts).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top