Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2009 7:35:40 AM EDT

Gator capture leads to drug arrests in North Florida

By The Associated Press

An alligator capture has led to the arrests of some north Florida apartment tenants who forgot to hide their drugs, authorities say.

According to a report from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, wildlife officers received a tip that two gators were being held captive in an apartment in Tallahassee. The officers went to the apartment and spoke with the tenants, who then allowed for the officers to go inside and retrieve the gators.

The report says the tenants had left drugs and drug paraphernalia in plain view. So the wildlife officers called in the Leon County Sheriff's Office, which took over the narcotics investigation.

The report does not specify how large the gators were, identify the tenants or specify their drug-related charges.

Link Posted: 8/5/2009 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Put your drugs away before letting the guys with badges (any type) into your house.

Is that so hard to comprehend?

Link Posted: 8/5/2009 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the problem would eventually fix itself.. dope and gators?

Link Posted: 8/5/2009 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#3]
IMO the drugs aren't going to hold up in court. That is a violation of the tenants 4th amendment rights. They let the fish and wildlife guys in to remove the alligator, and while they were in the house they saw the drugs. 100% opposite of what they were looking for.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 7:46:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Idiots
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
IMO the drugs aren't going to hold up in court. That is a violation of the tenants 4th amendment rights. They let the fish and wildlife guys in to remove the alligator, and while they were in the house they saw the drugs. 100% opposite of what they were looking for.

If you give law enforcement permission to enter your dwelling, whatever they find is admissable as evidence.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 7:53:29 AM EDT
[#6]
My defense would have been, "They were the gators Sir".
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 7:58:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you give law enforcement permission to enter your dwelling, whatever they find is admissable as evidence.

I'm not so sure. I understand I am just going off a newspaper article that may/may not be relevant, but they let the officers in to retrieve the gators, nothing else. I am not a lawyer, just talking based on criminal justice classes i have taken in college.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not so sure. I understand I am just going off a newspaper article that may/may not be relevant, but they let the officers in to retrieve the gators, nothing else. I am not a lawyer, just talking based on criminal justice classes i have taken in college.

then you failed to pay attention.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 8:01:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you would be wrong.  Law enforcement officers were let into the home and saw the drugs in plain sight.  If I respond to a loud noise complaint at your home, you open the door and I see a dead body on the floor behind you, what do you think happens next?  I wasn't initially there on a call for a dead body, but it was in plain sight.........
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Please don't quit your day job to become an ATTY
plain view is well plain view  In my state the DOW guys would have just made the arrest
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Are fish and game employees considered police officers??
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you would be wrong.  Law enforcement officers were let into the home and saw the drugs in plain sight.  If I respond to a loud noise complaint at your home, you open the door and I see a dead body on the floor behind you, what do you think happens next?  I wasn't initially there on a call for a dead body, but it was in plain sight.........

I see your point, I think I am mixing up plain view with they went hunting through boxes etc and found the drugs. I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes in most jurisdictions they are LE.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

ask google in my state the state guys are POST certified officers that can and are required to enforce ALL laws  the Feds are FLEO's as well
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see your point, I think I am mixing up plain view with they went hunting through boxes etc and found the drugs. I stand corrected.

Correct.  Plain view and looking through boxes are two different things... Now go study

Link Posted: 8/5/2009 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

plain view is well plain view  In my state the DOW guys would have just made the arrest

You quoted the wrong post.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You quoted the wrong post.

oopsie
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Idiots
Stupid is as stupid does

Link Posted: 8/5/2009 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep and they can write speeding tickets too
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 8:08:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Gators On Crack!

Sounds like a great movie idea!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top