Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/4/2009 5:09:18 PM EDT
Very very low anxiety as i am on a very low dose of this drug (Was higher but i am learning to handle myself on a lower dose and it is working well)

Are there certain jobs they won't let me do?

Will they let me in at all?

I'm still in High School so i have time to completely get off of this drug if i keep handling this well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you have to be off any form of medication for at least a year but I am not sure about this
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Becoming a plumber may be more appropriate.

If regular life causes you anxiety, then the stress of conflict could cause you to be a liability.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#3]
As i said, i am waning off of this drug and am handling myself quite well.

I am quite sure i will be able to get off of this drug by the time i graduate.

( Keep getting better and better at handling myself in other words, as well as little to no anxiety)
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I promise you, if anxiety is a problem the military isn't for you.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know about GETTING IN but it (Having an anxiety disorder) doesn't "Seem" to be a problem for some folks I know that're currently serving (At the NG level at least).

Back in '03 when our Batt' was activated we had an E-4 who was classed as non-deployable because of an anxiety disorder.

When the activation ended 14 months later alot of guys who started it as E-4's came back as E-4's and E-5's but "Dude" (The guy with the anxiety disorder who couldn't mob' with us) was still in the 'guard, on title-10 orders the whole time AND an E-6 (!) (Sometimes it's good to stay close to the flag-pole! lol)

Heck, just do like everyone else does and self-medicate

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have always wanted to join as long as i can remember.

There has gotta be some job i can do in the military, if i can't join the army.

Come on, there has to be a recruiter on this site somewhere that will be able to help me out
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe you should join the Air Force and become an electrcian or something.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Some guys who might be fidgety and anxious in the world might be some mean motherf#*kers in combat.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#9]
What about vehicle maintenance?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Agreed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Some guys who might be fidgety and anxious in the world might be some mean motherf#*kers in combat.

All 5'8" 140lbs of me eh?

I am a good shot for my age though i tell you what!

You guys are blowing my anxiety level out of proportion. It is hardly there any more but is still there, and i still have time to fix this problem.

Hell, i bet by the time i finish High School the anxiety will have damn near diminished to be honest.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

QFT...

You might get a little "shaken" in boot..With 3 DI's bouncing their whispering voices off your forehead..

j/k...

Listen, I believe a man can do anything he puts his mind to...If there is a true desire to make his dreams come true..

Come off the meds slowly until you defeat your fears and stay off the required amount of time,to see how it goes, before going to see a recruiter and never look back...
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#13]
You might want to stay in the hitman field for now.

High anxiety

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All 5'8" 140lbs of me eh?

I am a good shot for my age though i tell you what!

You guys are blowing my anxiety level out of proportion. It is hardly there any more but is still there, and i still have time to fix this problem.

Hell, i bet by the time i finish High School the anxiety will have damn near diminished to be honest.
All the services except the Army rejected Audie Murphy for being too short

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

High anxiety

Okay? I posted a serious question and i get this?

This is GD, of course i will get posts like these.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quit taking your meds for one year...cold turkey...

if you can go without it for a year, then go for it!

if not, the military isn't for you
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I contend that the schools often medicate Kids who are having NORMAL reactions to situations in life that a generation ago we just handled.

Get you Doc to wean you off the meds and see if it works. Then after 12 months or so sign on up if it is no longer a problem.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

High anxiety

Double up on your meds.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

High anxiety

Hey you picked the user name, live with the jokes.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

+1  Short periods of extreme physical danger are often easier for the body to handle than some of the constant, nagging stresses of modern life.  It has to do with our evolution.  We were designed to handle running from the lion, not trying to meet a budget.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1  Short periods of extreme physical danger are often easier for the body to handle than some of the constant, nagging stresses of modern life.  It has to do with our evolution.  We were designed to handle running from the lion, not trying to meet a budget.

I know i have what it takes to get off this medicine (What little i'm on) And i think the big reliever will be graduating and being done with school.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Somethings don't react too well to bullets.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Somethings don't react too well to bullets.

I didn't say a job necessarily involving combat, just a job in the Army/Mil.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

High anxiety

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Serious answer for you buddy.  Look up Army Regulations r40-501.  Those are the Army medical standards, and include enlistee requirements medically.  I'd suggest you download a copy and start looking.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

You beat me to it!  

ETA:  On a serious note.  If you take meds for anxiety due to every day life, don't join the military.  You'll have a nervous breakdown before you get out of training.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#28]
NO, I think they prefer causing your PTSD, not recruiting people already showing the symptoms.

Last i heard ANY Psychotropic medication user was persona non grata!! The military cannot guarantee you your medication in the field and due to the upredictability of un treated issues they would rather just not recruit people in the first place that require them.

Heck, back in thye 1980's when i tried to join the Army, i was turned down for asthma, but then again , i had to see their point about having Dust triggered asthma in a nice dirty combat zone.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#29]
You can do anything you want, your anxiety may be more pronounced than others, but in the military there is no job you cannot do without training and experience. As long as you can complete and fulfill your mission be it replacing radiator hoses or firing ICBM's, you will be accepted
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You can do anything you want, your anxiety may be more pronounced than others, but in the military there is no job you cannot do without training and experience. As long as you can complete and fulfill your mission be it replacing radiator hoses or firing ICBM's, you will be accepted

I will find a job in the military somewhere that i like. Just knowing i'm doing something more important than sitting behind a desk from 9 to 5 is what's important to me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

No BS, this is true.

Maybe you'll outgrow it. You have until age 39 now, iirc.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No BS, this is true.

Maybe you'll outgrow it. You have until age 39 now, iirc.

i don't need that long to fix this. 3 or 4 years from now MAX.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I dunno, but I bet you can just tell the DIs you have anxiety problems and they will be extra nice to you
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I dunno, but I bet you can just tell the DIs you have anxiety problems and they will be extra nice to you

Yea i bet
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Maybe OP says he is anxious, maybe his asshole teachers told his parents he could not sit still, most normal boys are bored to death with the education system, they refer him to a doctor, give him meds, now these jackass teachers have it easy a drugged child they do not have to chase around. OP can probably join the military where his energy can be put to challenge obstacles and objectives, the military can turn some lives around. I am not saying this is the OP's specific situation here, but I can understand.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea i bet

You should just go talk to a recruiter. I'm planning on joining the military myself, however I want to go to college and become an Officer. Hell, I bet most highschool kids could be diagnosed with a mental disorder anyways.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea i bet

You should just go talk to a recruiter. I'm planning on joining the military myself, however I want to go to college and become an Officer.

I'm having my Older sisters boyfriend take me to a recruiter when he comes back from deployment.

I will be able to see my options this way, and see what is available to me.

(No pics of sister, sorry )
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Very very low anxiety as i am on a very low dose of this drug (Was higher but i am learning to handle myself on a lower dose and it is working well)

I'm still in High School so i have time to completely get off of this drug if i keep handling this well.

Not everyone can, or needs to be, in the military.  Stay on your medicine, until a doctor tells you otherwise.  Those also serve who lead a productive life, and pay for the military through their taxes.  Lastly, you caqn be a Department of Defense civllian employee, or even a contractor, if you desire to serve.  Combat is no place for someon with a diagnosed anxiety problem - its puts both you, and everyone else, at risk.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Get off the pills, jump out of an airplane, walk home from AK.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#41]
you have enough anxiety about being accepted to post in arfcom GD
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know i have what it takes to get off this medicine (What little i'm on) And i think the big reliever will be graduating and being done with school.

If school is stressing you out, what do you think driving in convoys waiting for the next IED to go off - or not - will do? People shooting at you?  And much, MUCH worse?  How are you going to feel when you point a weapon at another human being and shoot?  It's not like a video game....

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#43]
burning question is why the hell you would want to if you have anxiety attacks - i mean for your own safety not a patriotism question
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If school is stressing you out, what do you think driving in convoys waiting for the next IED to go off - or not - will do? People shooting at you?  And much, MUCH worse?  How are you going to feel when you point a weapon at another human being and shoot?  It's not like a video game....

Reading is fundamental

I didn't say joining for anything combat related...

Maintenance and such...
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You have to be off any sort of anti-anxiety/anti-depressant for a minimum of one year before you can enlist.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to be off any sort of anti-anxiety/anti-depressant for a minimum of one year before you can enlist.

That's what i was looking for.

-Thanks

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#47]
have you identified what triggers your anxiety? as mentioned, the military could send it to the moon. however, it may also provide you with personal experiences and training that completely eliminate it. your dr. may have some thoughts on that. talk to him about it if you haven't done so.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

High anxiety

Come on, man...you picked the screen name.  It's a little funny for someone with enough anxiety to be on meds.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have always wanted to join as long as i can remember.

There has gotta be some job i can do in the military, if i can't join the army.

Come on, there has to be a recruiter on this site somewhere that will be able to help me out

EOD would be a good fit. Seriously, the Army needs MOS 92S too. Try that one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading is fundamental

I didn't say joining for anything combat related...

Maintenance and such...

Just about any job in the Military can have you driving down the road in a convoy or otherwise involved in "unexpected" combat. I wouldn't want a Soldier working for me who already had anxiety problems when he came in, no offense.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top