Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2002 8:04:47 PM EDT
As part of my Long Range Navigation assignment, I need to find the distance on a map from the Grand Forks, ND airport to Denver airport and also the distance from the Grand Forks apt, to Orlando airport...

This requires a big map that I dont have.

Can anyone help???
Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
BTW- the distance HAS to be taken from a map. Road distance, distance by air is no go.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.mapquest.com[/url]
Click on Driving Directions
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[url]www.mapquest.com[/url]
Click on Driving Directions
View Quote

Thanks, but won't work dude. That will give road distance. This class gets into BIG detail on distances. We have to get those distances from calculating from lat/long coordinates (which took me 5 hours to figure out), then find the same distances on a Flight Planning program, and then from a map or chart.

There's a bunch of differences in these distances, I wont get into it now though...

Just has to be taken from a map or chart (preferrably aviation chart)
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Which Map projection?

Straight Line or Curve of Earth?
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Arch Info (GIS Software) on my home computer I can get you what you want.  Lat, Long, distance.  Give me some details.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#6]
This needs to be physically taken from a map, as in taking a piece of string, put on point A, then point B, then compare to the mileage scale.

I've already figured out distances by using lat and long. The whole point of this assignment is to see the differences used by lat/long dist, using a flight program, and by taking off a map. Each of them have their own errors. The map will have error because the map is flat and the earth is curved, for example...

Map dist is the only one i still need
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you have access to a university library?  The map room should have what you need.  Only thing I can think of.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:51:18 AM EDT
[#8]
If you still need the map measured distances let me know. I have access to a large National Geographic map at work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top