Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/4/2009 10:49:09 AM EDT
GOP upset victory in Delaware special election
Brett McCrae
Roughly one month ago Delaware State Senator (Senator President Pro Tem as well) Thurman Adams (D) died at the age of 80 from a bout with pancreatic cancer. There was a special election yesterday and the two front runners were Joe Booth (R) and Polly Adams Mervine (D and daughter of the late Senator Thurman Adams). Polly had two major things going for her:

1) she is a Democrat; and

2) she is the daughter of Thurman.

Legacy politics is the political way of life in Delaware. Beau Biden won the AG's spot because of his last name... nothing else.

Nevertheless Joe Booth won, taking a seat that was held by the Democratic Party for roughly 40 years in a state where the Democrats rule the House, Senate, and the Governor's office.

What is most remarkable about the win was the margin. Joe garnered over 60% of the vote in a heavy Democrat area and trounced Adams Mervine by 30 points.

I went to a couple of the polling places and the turn out for Republicans was huge. Far be it from me to say this is a bellwether, but I would venture a guess that the current state of local and national politics is beginning to bring out the conservative wing of the Republican Party here. And if it can happen here it will likely happen elsewhere.

The only state-wide elected Republican is the RINO Mike Castle. Yeah, that Mike Castle, one of the eight Republicans that voted for Cap and Trade. He had a town hall that was put on you tube and subsequently posted on Drudge. He was holding a Town Hall on Health care and what you see transpired. People (Republicans particularly) are angry at Castle and I think his days are numbered.

There will be another Special Election here in DE to fill Booth's seat he vacated in the House and we will see how that goes. But from everything I garner here, there is going to be a shakeup here in state politics that may translate to bigger and better things.
Posted at 12:51 PM | Email
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#1]
And so it begins.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#2]
D's held the seat for 40 years; then lost it by a 30 point margin...

That makes me feel warm and fuzzy  
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

And so it begins.

Me too! I mean, this!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And so it begins.

Indeed!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Now that's what I call "Hope and Change"!!!

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#7]
This election will absolutely kill Obango's death care.  The Libs will be running for the tall grass.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Here comes OUR Hope and CHANGE
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#9]
yes
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This election will absolutely kill Obango's death care.  The Libs will be running for the tall grass.

this was for the STATE senate seat not federal.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that's what I call "Hope and Change"!!!

Hear Hear!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Excellent, and Mike Castle needs to go unfuck himself or GTFO!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"there you go again, always with the negative waves!"  
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Let's hope NJ is next.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
And so it begins.

Me to! I mean, this!

damn SKIPPY ,,Screw being a republican, IS HE A CONSERVATIVE? I would vote for
a conservative Ape, hell, I would vote BigFoot is he/she was a conservative..
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

don't get me a wrong it is a step in the right direction but a very small step.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still bad news for them. This result result has national implications because of where it happen, I said a couple months ago people might be shocked by what they see in the next couple years in some very liberal states, this might be the start of that. Looking to next year it has to scare the hell out of Democratic Congress Critters combine that with the reaction Democrats going home are getting and I to believe this will put the final nails in the coffin of health care reform as proposed by Democratic leadership and Obama.  They may be able to get some healthcare bill through so they can claim victory but it will be a drastically scaled back bill not resembling where they started.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#18]
This can be a snowball effect if we push it...REPUBLICAN wins Democratic controlled seat!!! At least it will make ACORN get out there and threaten the masses.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

don't get me a wrong it is a step in the right direction but a very small step.

Still wrong my friend, this is a HUGE step in the right direction.  Libs live and die by election results and you can bet the bank they are paying real close attention.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Message is being sent, will it be received?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Let's hope NJ is next.

Oh Corzine is going down. As is Specter. Maybe even Boxer(!). Hopefully Rubio can beat Christ too, but that might be a long shot.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Good question. Do we want the Dems to be running scared and pull back on both Cap & Trade and Obamacare or do we want them to ignore the signs and lose in 2010.

Personally I hope they pull back. Helathcare insurance can be improved but lets not go out of control.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Obama will be known as Jimmy Carter-With-A-Tan by the time his term is done.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question. Do we want the Dems to be running scared and pull back on both Cap & Trade and Obamacare or do we want them to ignore the signs and lose in 2010.

Personally I hope they pull back. Helathcare insurance can be improved but lets not go out of control.

Im hoping they will pull back and still lose big, because they have shown their true face and people will no longer believe anything they say.  If our so called R leaders are smart and if this deathcare goes down in defeat, they should still use it as a huge political stick against the libs for years.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
GOP upset victory in Delaware special election
Brett McCrae
Roughly one month ago Delaware State Senator (Senator President Pro Tem as well) Thurman Adams (D) died at the age of 80 from a bout with pancreatic cancer. There was a special election yesterday and the two front runners were Joe Booth (R) and Polly Adams Mervine (D and daughter of the late Senator Thurman Adams). Polly had two major things going for her:

1) she is a Democrat; and

2) she is the daughter of Thurman.

Legacy politics is the political way of life in Delaware. Beau Biden won the AG's spot because of his last name... nothing else.

Nevertheless Joe Booth won, taking a seat that was held by the Democratic Party for roughly 40 years in a state where the Democrats rule the House, Senate, and the Governor's office.

What is most remarkable about the win was the margin. Joe garnered over 60% of the vote in a heavy Democrat area and trounced Adams Mervine by 30 points.

I went to a couple of the polling places and the turn out for Republicans was huge. Far be it from me to say this is a bellwether, but I would venture a guess that the current state of local and national politics is beginning to bring out the conservative wing of the Republican Party here. And if it can happen here it will likely happen elsewhere.

The only state-wide elected Republican is the RINO Mike Castle. Yeah, that Mike Castle, one of the eight Republicans that voted for Cap and Trade. He had a town hall that was put on you tube and subsequently posted on Drudge. He was holding a Town Hall on Health care and what you see transpired. People (Republicans particularly) are angry at Castle and I think his days are numbered.

There will be another Special Election here in DE to fill Booth's seat he vacated in the House and we will see how that goes. But from everything I garner here, there is going to be a shakeup here in state politics that may translate to bigger and better things.
Posted at 12:51 PM | Email

SURPRISE COCKFAGS!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

if this was in some place like texas or florida I would be like meh.

but delaware?????????????

a republican grabbed a democrats job in delaware.

man I hope the dems and Obama keep up the BS. we'll be looking at conservatives running congress and the senate again. 2010 could be 1994 2.0.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Got a link?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Joe garnered over 60% of the vote in a heavy Democrat area and trounced Adams Mervine by 30 points.

I wonder how ACORN will fix that problem.....

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

May not matter. They can get the implication here, just the same.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im hoping they will pull back and still lose big, because they have shown their true face and people will no longer believe anything they say.  If our so called R leaders are smart and if this deathcare goes down in defeat, they should still use it as a huge political stick against the libs for years.  

We want them to pull back, if some of this stuff gets passed we may never be able to undo it. The healthcare plan could become the next social security.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

if this was in some place like texas or florida I would be like meh.

but delaware?????????????

a republican grabbed a democrats job in delaware.

man I hope the dems and Obama keep up the BS. we'll be looking at conservatives running congress and the senate again. 2010 could be 1994 2.0.

let's hope they don't piss it away again.  not holding my breath, though.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#32]
holy crap, some good news for once.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, and it sends a pretty strong message.  We will be out voting every time now.

The productive in this country are starting to understand that electing democrats is not really a good thing.  Before, it was meh, just a few bucks more in taxes, some social benefit will come of it.

NOw they are like, holy shit, they want to take everything.

TXL

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#34]
It makes you feel all warm and fuzzy until you remember the GOP thinks they are TOO CONSERVATIVE and need to shift left.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Indeed.

Republicans will make it work if they have learned their lesson and ACT like it.

Otherwise the cycle will repeat.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good save.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#39]
This is exactly why the democrats would not allow a special election to fill Obama's senate seat despite the Blagojavich scandal.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
And so it begins.

Thread win!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

We can only hope.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Just another nail in that coffin

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#43]
WOW....

This could be a godsend. All those voting for Healthscare now have this to think about.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Nice.  This might be FAP-worthy for our bretheren up North....behind enemy lines.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but any anger at the libs WILL transfer to Fed when the time comes.

This is good. Very good.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Irrelevant.

It is an excellent indicator of how voters are feeling.

If the Dems want to keep their jobs, especially the yellow dogs, they will kill Obamacare and Cap n' Tax.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

where votes are still counted  
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#48]
"Vote Them Out" !!!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

And so it begins.

And for once, that is used quite appropriately.  

Bravo!  

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#50]
And from the deep south:

Daily Kos
Democrats lose another state legislative election
by UpstateDem
Digg this! Share this on Twitter - Democrats lose another state legislative electionTweet this submit to reddit Share This
Tue Jun 09, 2009 at 06:28:13 PM PDT

It is incredibly dissapointing to announce that in the race for Alabama's seventh State Senate district, Democrat Laura Hall has lost by an almost two to one margin against Republican Paul Sanford.  The seat was held by now Congressman Parker Grifith(D, AL-05).  This district was not much like Alabama since the district is based in the city of Huntsville and Barack Obama actually narrowly carried the district, in Alabama.  This means that Republicans have cut the Democrats state Senate majority to just a 21-14 vote margin and that since Obama's election, Republicans have picked up a net of three state legislative seats through special elections.  

http://www.co.madison.al.us/...

Part of the problem may have been that the Democrat in this district was black in a district that was only 33% black.  But this is a disturbing trend that is showing up in polling.  Independent voters especially are very concerned about the spending going on by Democrats in Washington and they appear to be turning into Republican voters because of this.  Its funny that independents had no problem with Republicans from 2001-2004 when they spent billions and billions of dollars on a war that was of no benefit to us.  

This is the first time I will directly say it.  The fact is that I believe we are facing another 1994 in 2010. What may save us from losing much in the US Senate is the fact that most Democrats up are in very blue states and Republicans have a few very vulnerable open seats themselves.  The House is a different matter, but I think we will lose a minimum of 15 seats and that number could be as high as 50 if we get a lot more open seats and Obama's approval rating falls below 50%.  The most crucial races are state legislative races like this one.  If we lose a lot more ground like we have been, Republicans will have a hammerlock on redistricting again and will draw the lines to make sure that we dont have a House majority again for a LONG, LONG time.  We need to begin to bring plants in because a storm is coming.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top