Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/4/2009 8:54:32 AM EDT
H2O ––––2 parts hydrogen, 1 part oxygen
Hydrogen is very flammable, Oxygen is a propellant.
When combined, why won't it burn ?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Because water is hydrogen that has already burned. H2+O2 is different than H20 (molecules combined)
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Because water is hydrogen that has already burned. H2+O2 is different than H20 (molecules combined)

Have to disagree, because, flammable hydrogen can be removed from water.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#3]
because it's wet????
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#4]
water don't burn because it's wet......dumbass
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because you are separating out both the Oxygen and the Hydrogen.  Burntrubber is correct.  If you took that "flammable Hydrogen" and heated it in the presence of the Oxygen you also got out it would burn (combine) and become water again.

ETA:  Also water is flammable in the presence of elemental fluorine which would just pull the hydrogen off the oxygen and create oxygen gas.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#6]
It will burn if its on a treadmill.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#7]
You could say the same thing about salt:
"How come every time I put sodium and chlorine on my tortilla chips, I always end up in the hospital?"
salt is NaCl for the slower crowd
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

or , not sure which
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL.  You can disagree all you want but you are still wrong.

For every hydrogen atom you remove from water, you also release two oxygen atoms.  Mix the two and guess what?  The hydrogen oxides and...

wait for it...

you get WATER!

Water is oxidized hydrogen.  Burning is a common name for rapid oxidation.

You need to revisit HS Chemistry.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#10]
As above, water doesn't burn because it is already oxidised.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Because you would have to add energy to break the bonds that were made when hydrogen was burned in the presence of oxygen in the first place.  Since there is not enough energy to break down water into hydrogen to burn and free oxygen to consume as part of the burning process you basically get a wet match.  Its the same reason carbon monoxide or dioxide is used as an extinguisher:  the oxygen isn't free to bond with other elements during the burning process like atmospheric oxygen because there isn't enough energy to break the bonds.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Water is not flammable because it contains no phlogiston.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#13]
It'll burn if you get it hot enough to rip the molecules apart.  Try throwing water on a full-on thermite fire and see what happens I suggest not being close.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#14]
"Burning" means something combines with oxygen and gets into a lower energy state, while giving off heat.

If water burned it might become hydrogen peroxide H2O2 (among other things). But hydrogen peroxide has higher energy than water does, it decomposes into water while giving off heat.

Extracting flammable H2 from water takes more energy than burning the H2 gives off (due to the inevitable inefficiencies).

I don't think the water is burning when put on a thermite fire, I think it's helping the thermite burn by acting as an oxidizer.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#15]
why can't you burn it and get H202 (hydrogen peroxide)?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

For every hydrogen atom you remove from water, you also release two oxygen atoms.  Mix the two and guess what?  The hydrogen oxides and...

wait for it...

you get WATER!

Never took HS chemistry.
Just seems from the componets it would be highly flammable ( but we all know it's not)
So in theory, water could be seperated and burnt over and over again ?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: "Plane on a treadmill 2009"
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

wait for it...

you get WATER!

Never took HS chemistry.
Just seems from the componets it would be highly flammable ( but we all know it's not)

Yes, but you would need to add a little energy each time because no process is 100% efficient.

ETA:  How did you graduate without taking a science course that mentioned this?  My school did it in 6th grade.  Not mocking you, serious question.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Water is not flammable because it contains no phlogiston.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:15:04 AM EDT
[#20]
creating water releases energy (exothermic)
producing h2 and o2 from water requires energy (endothermic)

asking why water doesn't burn is like asking why rocks can't roll uphill?  

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You could say the same thing about salt:

"How come every time I put sodium and chlorine on my tortilla chips, I always end up in the hospital?"

salt is NaCl for the slower crowd

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Like from the toilet?

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

i fucking lol'd.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#24]
<Patiently waits for Keith_J to settle this.>
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

wait for it...

you get WATER!

Sounds like someone needs to tag along with him.

Water WILL "burn," after a fashion.

Combustion is a rapid oxidation reaction, generally accompanied by a release of energy in the form of heat and light.  As water is already a stable molecule containing oxygen, it cannot combine with more oxygen to facilitate combustion.  However, in the presence of other materials, particularly alkali metals, the oxygen in the water will have a greater affinity for these ions than for the hydrogen it is already bonded to.  The oxygen will leave the hydrogen in order to oxidize the alkali metal, freeing the hydrogen in the form of binary gas.  This oxidation reaction produces heat and light, though it is technically the metal which is "burning."

Under proper conditions, the heat generated by the oxidation of the alkali metal will initiate the combustion of the liberated hydrogen gas using any surrounding air as an oxygen source.  This would create water again and, again under ideal circumstances, the cycle can continue until either the alkali metal or the air source is depleted.

The water is not technically burning, but it might look like it is.  

So the answer is that, if you're loose enough with your deffinition of "burn" then yes, water can be burned.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"Burning" means something combines with oxygen and gets into a lower energy state, while giving off heat.

If water burned it might become hydrogen peroxide H2O2 (among other things). But hydrogen peroxide has higher energy than water does, it decomposes into water while giving off heat.

Extracting flammable H2 from water takes more energy than burning the H2 gives off (due to the inevitable inefficiencies).

I don't think the water is burning when put on a thermite fire, I think it's helping the thermite burn by acting as an oxidizer.

True, but the results are just as fun
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

wait for it...

you get WATER!

Never took HS chemistry.

It takes energy to separate H&O, when it combines it releases energy. That's like saying why can't I make my spring air pellet gun full auto?

And just because elements behave one way in their atomic states doesn't mean it will behave the same way when it's combined with other elements (or itself) to make molecules. Otherwise salt would blow up in water and bleach our clothes at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

As above, water doesn't burn because it is already oxidised.

Someone gets it.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

wait for it...

you get WATER!

Never took HS chemistry.

Yes, but you would need to add a little energy each time because no process is 100% efficient.

ETA:  How did you graduate without taking a science course that mentioned this?  My school did it in 6th grade.  Not mocking you, serious question.

I graduated in 1978 from a small rural school.
At that time there was no such thing as HS chemistry in that school district.
I did take a biology class that was available.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Didn't the Cuyahoga River catch fire once?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
wait for it...

you get WATER!

Maybe you need to revisit HS chem. It is two H for every O.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Think of it like this…

Water is hydrogen ash. It’s hydrogen that has already been burned, so it can’t burn no more.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I remember reading about this river in Ohio that caught on fire once...
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Think of it like this…

Water is hydrogen ash. It’s hydrogen that has already been burned, so it can’t burn no more.

Best explanation for a simpleton like me
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#36]
You mean water, like in the toilet?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

creating water releases energy (exothermic)

producing h2 and o2 from water requires energy (endothermic)

asking why water doesn't burn is like asking why rocks can't roll uphill?  

Another excellent analogy.  ENERGY.  Hydrogen has a but load of potential energy, like a rock on the top of a hill.  When it combines with oxygen, the energy is released to heat and a bit of light, this is like the rock in motion going down the hill, kinetic energy.

Now react the water with sodium, aluminum, calcium or many other metals/metal oxides and the water reacts, releasing a hydrogen to become the metal hydroxide, also releasing a lot of heat.  But that energy came from the metal, not the water.  This potential energy was enough to kick off the hydrogen.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Well if water is not flammable, why is it not considered inflammable then?

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You get an aura of burning H when it gets to the atmosphere and combines with the O2 there.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't the Cuyahoga River catch fire once?

A floating film of Stoddard solvent and Cosmoline burned.
Some idiots were de-greasing a crane upriver and flowing the solvent into the river.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Unpossible.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#43]
We wouldn't want O's feet to get hot when he's walking on it...
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
H2O ––––2 parts hydrogen, 1 part oxygen
Hydrogen is very flammable, Oxygen is a propellant.
When combined, why won't it burn ?

Just because the constituents of a chemical have a certain property, does not mean that that compound will have that property.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#45]

Keith has spoken..
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#46]
why hasn't anyone said, "Because it's fucking water!!!!!"
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somebody failed chemistry huh?

If separate hydrogen from water it is no longer water (H2O) its hydrogen... DUH
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unpossible.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top