Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2009 6:45:22 PM EDT
Lately, I've been looking into a few different career fields while in college. I've discovered like a pool boy/cleaner, which seems like it would make good money. Anyone know about this?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Career choices or temporary jobs till you graduate?

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Jobs, I should have said. I certainly don't want to be a pool boy forever. I have contemplated being a farm/ranch hand, roofer, carpenter, drywall hanger etc. but I would rather not do those jobs unless I have too. A pool boy seems more laid back and a better job in general. I've heard campus jobs are pretty sweet too, anyone know?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a good internship.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get a good internship.

Are those paid?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a good internship.

Are those paid?

Depends on the field.  What are you studying?

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#6]
If your field has the opportunity;

Internship!

Internship!

Internship!
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Whats your major?  I'm at a very well paying internship at Idaho National Laboratory.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Perhaps business, aerospace, or sommething in the social sciences. Psych, History, etc. fields. LEO/.mil is an interest of mine, potentially am considering ROTC but want to see other options.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Perhaps business, aerospace, or sommething in the social sciences. Psych, History, etc. fields. LEO/.mil is an interest of mine, potentially am considering ROTC but want to see other options.

Define your interest in "aerospace". Business is a catchall and common.  History, psych, etc are only good for teachers, professional and or grad students or lazy people.
I would certainly recommend more hard sciences/engineering if you can roll with it

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well aerospace is a very narrow field which is highly competitive.  If you would like to work in aerospace and are interested in engineering I would suggest Mechanical Engineering.  Its a nice broad major that can lead into pretty much everything but of course I am a bit biased.    Also if you are considering AFROTC and you choose an engineering major you are practically  assured a pilot slot or other rated slot.  Atleast that has been the case with my experience.  With majors like history and psych I generally see them as hobbies you can take up if you interested however may not be the best carreer path in the long run.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I signed my life(well not really) to the Army after college so I don't have to worry about that whole finding a job thing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I signed my life(well not really) to the Army after college so I don't have to worry about that whole finding a job thing.

How much mathematics are involved in a mechanical engineering degree? I have limited interest except for accounting type math. I am contemplating all the ROTC programs but am debating whether or not I will join. I will certainly send a package to all services and see if I get accepted. I am really looking for an internship or part time job during the school year, but summer might be acceptable too.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much mathematics are involved in a mechanical engineering degree? I have limited interest except for accounting type math. I am contemplating all the ROTC programs but am debating whether or not I will join. I will certainly send a package to all services and see if I get accepted. I am really looking for an internship or part time job during the school year, but summer might be acceptable too.

There is alot of math but it builds on itself and as you progress in your major you will start using tools like mathCAD and MATLAB to assist you will all the math.  ROTC is great especially if you get contracted and they start paying for your school, a book allowance and a mouthly stipend.  I started AFROTC and was awarded a scholarship alittle later.  You will definately have a better chance with a technical degree to be the most competitive for scholarships.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Define your interest in "aerospace". Business is a catchall and common.  History, psych, etc are only good for teachers, professional and or grad students or lazy people.

I would certainly recommend more hard sciences/engineering if you can roll with it

Good Lord.

My father, mother, my brother and I have history degrees.  Here are their careers:

Father = retired Navy commander (Intel), defense contractor, property mgmt executive
Mother = 25 years with Lockheed Martin doing really cool classified shit
Brother = currently an army major
Me = 15 years in banking, mostly in compliance & auditing - now a semester away from becoming an RN

A friend of mine majored in history & did army ROTC.  He's now a Kiowa pilot.

None of the above are teachers, professional students, or lazy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good Lord.

My father, mother, my brother and I have history degrees.  Here are their careers:

Father = retired Navy commander (Intel), defense contractor, property mgmt executive
Me = 15 years in banking, mostly in compliance & auditing - now a semester away from becoming an RN

That is what I have been told history or liberal arts will you get you no where. However, with my career interests being leo, or .mil they are the best degrees to have. I am favoring AFROTC over AROTC but may take part in NROTC. How are the fbi, cia, nsa, type internships. They are paid and super interesting, and would fit my degree type and skills/aptitudes.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe I should have said what I was studying...

I am studying history because I love it and I already have a decent background in it.  One of the great things about Army ROTC is you can study whatever you want to unless you are going to be a Doctor(or something of the sort).

The other branches wanted me to study something specific such as Engineering.  But I wanted to study history and being in the chair force wasn't that appealing to me.  I almost went Marines but as soon as they found out I could read then I was rejected.(Not really, the Marines are fucking kick ass but I had to make a little fun)
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Lord.
I apologize to your family, seem to be some of the exceptions. The majority of BA's I have ran into do not always fit the description of what I would necessarily call "constructive".

*ETA* I also did not have much experience with the ROTC students and what they tended to work in.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good Lord.

I apologize to your family, seem to be some of the exceptions. The majority of BA's I have ran into do not always fit the description of what I would necessarily call "constructive".

*ETA* I also did not have much experience with the ROTC students and what they tended to work in.

I personally love history and reading books of that sort. Naturally mil sci, and warfare are interests of mine. I mostly like the airforce because of the retirement options. Getting an awesome job with a aerospace company, which many are located in the general region that i want to live. However, I am not against the a rotc. Basically, it is going to come down to me applying to all services and leaving the cards where they may fall.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:30:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I would suggest you set up downtown and suck dick. A.) The weather at night isn't as harsh B.) you'll make more money with less effort/expense of time C.) Underwear, xxxxx, Profit.

Just kidding, get a job as a bartender or barback... Decent money and you'll get pussy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top