Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2009 5:51:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#1]
My neighbor has a bat house on his shed.

Most nights there are close to 10 flying racetrack patterns in our backyards.

It freaks out my wife and the dogs when the swoop low over the grass.

Do not have much of a skeeter problem.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Coincidentally, a bat flew into my windshield earlier tonight. i was going 40 MPH, and it hit me head on.   Hope he's Ok.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have seen more bats this year than I have ever seen before.  Given, I've spent the last several summers living in an urban environment, but even growing up in the country I'd only ever see two or three at once.  Lately I've seen around 8-9 at once most evenings.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
We love watching our bats. We've got about 6 of 'em that do the nightly rounds over our backyard.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Dinner pic coming?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#7]
5 bats?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracken_Cave

Come out here and see how many fly over in the evenings

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#8]
My Dad has a few bat houses mounted to the side of his house.

They are full of bats.  I checked last time I was there around noon, packed with bats.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My neighbor has a bat house on his shed.
Most nights there are close to 10 flying racetrack patterns in our backyards.
It freaks out my wife and the dogs when the swoop low over the grass.
Do not have much of a skeeter problem.

Yup.  Love bats flying around at dusk.  One of those "summertime" things like the sight of fireflies, or the smell of someone cookin' on the grill on a summer afternoon/evening.  Good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]
We have a fuck-ton of them here. The look really cool through the NODs.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I heard they are poisionous...
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I love bats. Saw one last night.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#13]
When I was a kid we used to go out around dusk just as the fruit bats were coming out, and we used to take small pebbles and throw them up in the air, to watch the bats "lock onto" them and dive towards them.

Try it - it's fun.

ETA: Just about a dime sized pebble is all you need.  Don't use anything bigger.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Wear some NVGs at night and look at the sky. You can see a TON of bats flying around.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#15]
We love seeing the bats in the evening.  But this year the number of them is much less.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Coincidentally, a bat flew into my windshield earlier tonight. i was going 40 MPH, and it hit me head on.   Hope he's Ok.

You don't, by chance, drive a VW Beetle do you?

/BAH-DUM-TISH!

I've been meaning to put together/put up a bat house or two for a while now. Just keeps getting forgotten until I'm bein' et up by bugs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top