Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2009 4:52:33 PM EDT
Came in an envelope from PO Box 1140 Toronto, On. Canada M5C 2K5, with her name on a peel off type label.

Canada post.

For her to be a "Customer Service Evaluator".

She gets $200, uses $150 to pay the Western Union Fee, sends the remainder to someone in Canada.

The Check IS printed on normal check paper (with real security features).

The Letter of explanation (from www.shadowshopper.com) has a "Customer Service Survey" on the back...both sides area fairly crappy copies.

The letter is written in fairly crappy grammar.

Yes, I know the check is fake (The bank is listed as Wells Fargo Bank Indiana...not N.D.).

What to do with it?  

I told my wife take it to the Post Office as it has a stamped envelope (even if it comes from Canada) as mail fraud.

Any other thoughts?

AFARR

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Do like the kid from my work did and cash it.

He's still paying the bank back.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#2]
We recieved a very similar letter and check.  Ours came from a company called QAMS.  Basically the same thing.  We contacted the Dallas Office of the FBI, the took all the information and had me call the Secret Service.  Seems the SS investigates fraudulent checks.  They tell me they get hundreds a day.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Look at the back of the check is the endorsement line horizontal along the check?

That is Canadian Check stock on an Amercian check.....................fake
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Post Office.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#5]

I got an email today... all I have to do is sent this guy $85 and I'll be mailed a ATM card with $950,000 on it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife got a phone call today; TV guide renewal. They read off our account number and my subscription number to the American Rifleman, so my wife gave them our credit card number.

After a call to TV Guide, who does not do renewals by phone, I canceled my credit card, new one coming in 3 days.

In fairness, 6 years ago, I bought something online where the url was http, not https, and three fraudulent transactions were charged to my card.

One was shipped to Canada, another to...VIETNAM!
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Came in an envelope from PO Box 1140 Toronto, On. Canada M5C 2K5, with her name on a peel off type label.

Canada post.

She gets $200, uses $150 to pay the Western Union Fee, sends the remainder to someone in Canada.

The Letter of explanation (from www.shadowshopper.com) has a "Customer Service Survey" on the back...both sides area fairly crappy copies.

Yes, I know the check is fake (The bank is listed as Wells Fargo Bank Indiana...not N.D.).

What to do with it?  

I told my wife take it to the Post Office as it has a stamped envelope (even if it comes from Canada) as mail fraud.

Any other thoughts?

AFARR

My wife got almost the same scam check back in April. Through the Better Business Bereau, I was a able to find a lot of dirt on the company that sent us this scam check. It seems the bank branch it was drawn out on was part of a bank that still exists, but that exact branch was shut down 15 years ago. So, the fake check, the come-on letter, and the envelope they came in are now in the hands of the FBI.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Canada post.

What to do with it?  

Any other thoughts?

AFARR

My wife got almost the same scam check back in April. Through the Better Business Bereau, I was a able to find a lot of dirt on the company that sent us this scam check. It seems the bank branch it was drawn out on was part of a bank that still exists, but that exact branch was shut down 15 years ago. So, the fake check, the come-on letter, and the envelope they came in are now in the hands of the FBI.

and in the hands of a .gov lackey who just tossed in the round file...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top