Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2009 4:48:18 PM EDT
Have any of you had this condition, and if so, did you have the surgery to clip off the tear?

How did post-op go??
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#1]
2.5 hrs in the operating room, straight home afterwards.  6 weeks convalescent leave.  I was walking on it without a crutch within 3 days.  A couple of weeks in phys therapy/rehab and it's good to go.  

My knee gets sore and swells up a bit if I'm on my feet for extended periods (#1 reason I had to quit the job at the FN factory) BUT it doesn't lock up on me anymore.  

Get well soon
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#2]
been there done that , yes had the knee scoped took about four months to get back to work on it , 6 months was ok and a year to be pretty much pain free. never will be back to normal cause I my tore the ACL half way into also . Still locks and swells sometimes but I am ok with it . I couldn't walk at all before the scope so yea pretty good for me just hurt like he@# after the pain meds wore off .
John
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#3]
That was my 1st knee surgery.

Finally graduated to an ACL reconstruction.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I had both knees done, two months apart, went back to work about 8 days after each, it took three months to get them to 90%.  They are good for 95% of everything these days.  Eight months down the road.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:46:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input.  I have not had the surgery, yet.  Still trying to decide if it is something I want to do.  I have been dealing with this condition.......on and off pain, lameness, swelling, for over 30 years!  Looking back the injury had to have happened during a softball game years ago.  Never went to the doctor with it    Over time, whenever it acted up, just thought it was arthritis setting in.  Broke my wrist falling over my new puppy back in March.  When I went for my last wrist checkup, my knee was acting up again, and mentioned to the doc that I did not look forward to arthritis set in to in oneday, like I was dealing with my knee.  OF COURSE, he wanted to know what was going on with my knee.......and come to find out I have a large bucket handle tear of the medial menicus.  He said that a tear of the meniscus never heals, and that's why I have had this going on all these years.  No arthritis!  Anyway, he highly recommends surgery.  Not really looking forward to "something else" after finally get back to the norm after the broken wrist.  But, with the possibility of "OBAMACARE" , my husband says I better get it done while the gettin's good.  

Sounds like all of you have had good results with the surgery, guess I need to decide ~
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I tore mine on a fishing trip and had surgery. Two years later it doesn't hurt all the time or anything, but it is not like it was. I am older though. If you are young it will probably work better.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I tore mine changing planes in Amsterdam.

45 minute surgery on a Friday, back at work on crutches on Monday. Knee swole up for a week.

Now, four years later, I get a twinge every now and then if I twist my knee a certain way when walking.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:05:36 AM EDT
[#8]
yeah thats a big tear. i had medial ever so small tear on the edge that has filled in scar tissue. knee doesnt feel unstable. what u have i would go the surgical route. there is one other option, there a new proccedure when they are injecting hormones into the area to facilitate regeneration of tissue.  
(i forget what its called, i seen it in a medical magazine), but they do it in miami.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:12:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes,  I had the Bucket Handle tear in my right knee.  Had surgery about 5 days after injury.  18 days after surgery I was Elk hunting in Colorado.  A lot of hiking in the mountains.  I wore a neoprene brace from Walgreens for about 4 weeks just to give me a little sense of stability.  Never used crutches.  Just take it easy after surgery for a bit.

ETA:  It was removal of the tear.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Had one in my right knee.  Surgery done in '97.  The doc tried a repair job by sewing it back together.  Didn't work.

Second surgery in '99.  This time they cut out the torn 'handle'.

I have been problem free now for 10 years.  Hunting, hiking, dirt bikes, it's all good.

Lesson is - Remove not Repair.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone ~ guess I'll be calling to schedule the surgery.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Had two ACL reconstructions on my left knee - had torn meniscus removed both times as well.  The meniscus catching in the joint is the pain that almost put me on the floor numerous times.

Brian
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top