Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2009 2:23:55 PM EDT
I have searched and have come up with some stuff but like with many things it is conflicting.

Lil Background
I am rated totally and and permanently disabled at 80% by the VA. I currently work 14 hour days many stressful days. I love my job and work but sometimes I watch the news and say why bother busting my hump, especially when a 14 hour day is harder for me than say a sprite young exec. I also travel a lot to crazy places. Next week Senegal, India, Indonesia. I have no idea how long the trip will be. So now I have to make sure my heart meds are good and I have enough.

I have been told over and over by the VA that I need to file and I would be rated at 100% that I shouldn't be working. I think they are alarmist but my wife says my health is suffering. She is a smart cookie.

Anyhow, what happens when you go on 100% VA disability? Do you also qualify for Social Security? I wanted to retire at 48 and I am 44 now. I figure if I start now the gov't will take 4 yrs at least to do the paperwork. If I were to retire before all of my stock vests I'd need to keep a income of at least 10K monthly after tax...

I know someone will shortly be along to curse me out for this. Please just save it. Not interested. I am asking folks who KNOW about VA benefits a question. All the conflicting info is baffling my little brain.

Like can you or can't you work if you are rated 100%? If you can work at 100% I am all over it. I do like to work but not if it is driving me to an early grave.

PS ALL of my medical problems are duty related.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I can answer a small part of your question - there is no direct connection between VA disability and Social Security disability, and the criteria for each is markedly different. Each agency makes it's own determination.

I can also tell you that you'll receive more bad information then good with your question on this board.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I can answer a small part of your question - there is no direct connection between VA disability and Social Security disability, and the criteria for each is markedly different. Each agency makes it's own determination.

I can also tell you that you'll receive more bad information then good with your question on this board.

LOL Yeah and interestingly enough I just found a good site where a DAV rep and moderator is laying it all out.

For example there are different ways they can reach 100% and that has a big impact on whether you can work or not. And you don't have to be 100% rather to get 100% payment... All confusing but I think I have it. Thanks for helping though I do appreciate it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top