Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/3/2009 10:41:48 AM EDT
...mainly for my wife.  She's been asking for one for awhile.  My parents have one and we've played a few times when we go over there.  I'm buying a new in box Wii from an individual, so whatever it comes with is what I will have.  I already have an XBOX 360 so most games that aren't heavily reliant upon the motion input would probably be played on it.  I guess I'll need another controller and nunchuck?  

What "must have" games are there?  I've played the Wii Sports, and they have the Wii fit which has some games I've played before, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the WiiPlay bundle (game disk, the tanks game is super addictive, and a second controller) and a second nunchuck.
MarioKart is always fun.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Raving rabbids. It's sweet.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Easy...

Must Own:
MadWorld - coolest game for the Wii to date
Line Rider - ported from the greatest time waster the Internets have ever known

Good to get:
Mario Galaxy if you're into Mario games
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1 on the Raving Rabbids. Get a Wii Fit and Raving Rabbids TV Party for ultra-hilarity.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on the Raving Rabbids. Get a Wii Fit and Raving Rabbids TV Party for ultra-hilarity.

Raving Rabids+good friends+the intoxicant of your choice= great times....

COD= great fun...put on your battle rattle, maintain a nametape defilade behind the couch....
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#6]
We also having been thinking of buying a Wii. She wants the Wii FIT and she saw the commercial for the RESORTS.

Any special accessories we should get?

Explain the points deal just for being able to be online.

What can you not do online? Is it very limited?

What about playing movie from a server like XBOX 360?

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Download the Legend of Zelda and SMB 3.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#9]
OK I see several different Raving Rabbids games.

There is Raving Rabbids TV Party, Raving Rabbids 2, and Raving Rabbids?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

...mainly for my wife.  She's been asking for one for awhile.  My parents have one and we've played a few times when we go over there.  I'm buying a new in box Wii from an individual, so whatever it comes with is what I will have.  I already have an XBOX 360 so most games that aren't heavily reliant upon the motion input would probably be played on it.  I guess I'll need another controller and nunchuck?  

What "must have" games are there?  I've played the Wii Sports, and they have the Wii fit which has some games I've played before, but that's about it.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I really like the wii sports.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#12]
My girlfriend has one, Tiger Woods is fun and wii fit is pretty good too.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Raving Rabbids and Raving Rabbids 2 are pretty fun games and don't really require a Wii Fit. Raving Rabbids TV Party doesn't require a Wii Fit but it's a LOT more fun if you do have one. If you play games with groups of people I think the TV version is the best. If it's you and one other person I'd get Raving Rabbids 2.

ETA:
These guys are right that things are a little repetitive, but anything where you can shoot zombie rabbits and ride an upside down water buffalo through ski gates while using your butt to steer can't be all bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4cNCuSX8zY
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Gotcha.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I almost forgot. LEGO Star Wars or Batman. You have to to get one of those.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#16]
get the new Wii Sports resort w/ the Wii Motion Plus.

Makes the controller response pretty much 1:1 instead of the generic "left swing/right swing" of the Wii-Mote without it.

Sword fighting + archery is fun fun fun.

Can't wait for Gladiator AD....chopping people up with an exact movement duplication? yes please.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Raving Rabbids and Raving Rabbids 2 are pretty fun games and don't really require a Wii Fit. Raving Rabbids TV Party doesn't require a Wii Fit but it's a LOT more fun if you do have one. If you play games with groups of people I think the TV version is the best. If it's you and one other person I'd get Raving Rabbids 2.

ETA:
These guys are right that things are a little repetitive, but anything where you can shoot zombie rabbits and ride an upside down water buffalo through ski gates while using your butt to steer can't be all bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4cNCuSX8zY

yup tv party. It's the only game you can play with your ass
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Resident Evil 4 Is a must.

Also look for super mario wii when it comes out here in a couple months.

The lego games are fun as hell.

Definately get the Raving Rabbids games they are addictive as hell.

Also look for Boom Blox

I own all of these and love them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Zelda twilight is good times. Metroid prime 3. The original Zelda and super Mario brothers from the nes. Tiger woods is fun if you like golf. Table tennis is a riot. There are a ton of good games and some really shitty ones. I like world of goo myself.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Why?  I have a lot of FPS for XBOX so something similar on the Wii would have to offer something different I'd think.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#21]
OK I picked up Resident Evil...it was only $29 at China Mart.

I got a new in box Wii, Wii Play, Resident Evil, total of two controllers and nun chucks and Wii Fit.  About $360 total.

I may go and pick up that Rabbid Rabbits game too, we'll see.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Download the Legend of Zelda and SMB 3.

done and done...quite some time ago
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Also look for super mario wii when it comes out here in a couple months.

The lego games are fun as hell.

Definately get the Raving Rabbids games they are addictive as hell.

Also look for Boom Blox

I own all of these and love them.

ABSOLUTELY!
Best zombie game EVAR!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Honestly ! Wii Sucks !!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Call of Duty: World at War
Wii Play
Wii Fit

Mario Kart is also cool

Also, do yourself a favor and spend the 30 bucks for a remote charger
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SXNAtwYMBw

Holy shit!
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#28]
House of the Dead: Overkill is a good one.

Be sure and get the zapper for maximum zombie slaughtering enjoyment.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit!

Suckened Life FTW!

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Sports, Mario Kart, Raving Rabbids 2 and Raving Rabbids TV Party are the main ones we play though we have a bit over 30 games.
ETA - In fairness if it's not 4 player or more it doesn't get played much. We have the Wii fit board but don't use it much.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#31]
OK so I guess the Resident Evil I got is RE Archives?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#32]
It's awesome!!!

And I totally SUCK at video games, but it's fun even if everybody laughs at me....
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#33]
think you will like it alot, my wife and kids like the sports games alot
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#34]
OK so it only comes with the standard RCA hookups or whatever.  I assume there is a component or HDMI adapter?  I'm just playing Wii Sports right now and I know the graphics on this game arent anything to brag about, but it seems the picture leaves something to be desired and I can't 5.1 surround with this input method.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OK so it only comes with the standard RCA hookups or whatever.  I assume there is a component or HDMI adapter?  I'm just playing Wii Sports right now and I know the graphics on this game arent anything to brag about, but it seems the picture leaves something to be desired and I can't 5.1 surround with this input method.

Yes there are Component cords (it does 480p) but sound is limited to analog (Dolby PLII).

Nobody has mentioned it, but WiiPlay is awesome and comes with a remote.

Guitar Hero is hella fun
Mario Kart is always a hit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#36]
No 1080i even?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

No 1080i even?

Does 1080i make a game more fun?

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
No 1080i even?

Yes.

And I figured out why it's called Resident Evil Archives....because it's an old version and the graphics are terrible and there is no motion input.  Whoops.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
No 1080i even?

Just makes it a shitload less fuzzy. Old games don't look so hot on big modern TVs, especially with no upscaling or smoothing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll say this about that system.  I thought that it was the dumbest thing I had ever seen, and expected it to crash and burn.

One of the guys brought it by the firehouse, and I completely changed my mind.  I don't own one, but am not opposed either.  We had a ball for days.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I got a Wii - or my son did. We hit the JACKPOT!!!

$150 for the Wii, two controllers, 1 nunchuck and 80 games, with 30 games unopened. Even came with a dozen or so game cube games
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No 1080i even?

Just makes it a shitload less fuzzy. Old games don't look so hot on big modern TVs, especially with no upscaling or smoothing.

Works fine on my 52" Plasma.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#44]
I hope she doesn't come home and catch you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_4jwGEuaq8

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'll say this about that system.  I thought that it was the dumbest thing I had ever seen, and expected it to crash and burn.

One of the guys brought it by the firehouse, and I completely changed my mind.  I don't own one, but am not opposed either.  We had a ball for days.

The problem with the Wii is lasting appeal. I think CliffyB put it best... everybody owns one, but after the first month, nobody turns it on.

Probably why the software attach rate is so low.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
No 1080i even?

Set your TV to 4:3 aspect ratio, not 16:9.  With the component hook-up you can set the Wii to 480P and wide-screen, at which point you use the "wide" stretch option (stretching the screen evenly across its entire width, not the panoramic stretch at the edges) for Wii games, but I'm not sure how it works out for downloaded ones.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

AHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Oh yeah, one more question...can you get online and play against other people like Wii Sports and what not?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top