Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2009 6:02:31 AM EDT
Kid droppeded the lap top computer. Screen comes on but has blank lines thru it. Computer appear to be working normally.

Can the screen be repaired or should it be trashed and go buy a new one?

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:08:20 AM EDT
[#1]
try tossing it down the driveway

eta:

j/k, the screen can be replaced but it will probably cost as much or more as a new laptop.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:13:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

j/k, the screen can be replaced but it will probably cost as much or more as a new laptop.

Negative, if you can use a screwdriver you can replace your screen for $150 or less.

ETA: Innewebz instructions

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#3]
The manufacturer may have pdfs online that walk you through all types of repair, including motherboard replacement.  HP did for my Compaq (keyboard).

My technically-inept sister-in-law was able to replace her Macbook's screen easily.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:16:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Find an appropriate screen on Ebay and do it yourself.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:17:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative, if you can use a screwdriver you can replace your screen for $150 or less.

true, but it's not quite that easy on many laptops.  also your avatar should say "choke more chikin"
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:17:24 AM EDT
[#6]
my buddy bought a replacement off ebay and installed it himself. 120$
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

true, but it's not quite that easy on many laptops.  also your avatar should say "choke more chikin"

Yes, it really is that easy on most laptops.  6-8 screws and a plug maybe two.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:27:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Agreed. I fix a LOT of laptops (DC jacks mostly) and very rarely is it hard to get the screen off.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:54:57 AM EDT
[#9]
It might just need a re-seat of the connectors for the screen. I've had that fix a lot of issues.

As for replacement/service of the screen, difficultly varies widely by manufacturer and the technological/mechanical abilities of the person doing the work. I can do it with little difficulty on most machines, but I did do laptop repair as a job a while back. I know many people who really shouldn't try it themselves.

It isn't THAT bad, but it can be tedious.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll see if I can locate a replacement screen.

Even if I screw it up I can always go get a new one.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#11]
There are online guides for screen replacement for just about every laptop computer out there, ever made.

Question is, how old is the laptop, and is it going to be worth your time and money to spend $100-$150 for a replacement screen ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top