Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/2/2009 5:28:46 PM EDT
I found this in my email... thought it was interesting.  YAL stands for "Young Americans for Liberty"

The officer didn't appear to be SWAT... but maybe the "armored vehicle" is out of view...

YAL Logo
I'm sitting in the back of the classroom on the final day of the YAL National Convention, and I couldn't wait any longer to get this YouTube video out to you.

Yesterday, YAL Events Director, Trevor Leach, and our top youth activists demonstrated on the Washington, DC, National Mall to collect petitions in opposition of Obama's government takeover of health-care.

It wasn't long until a SWAT team in an armored truck threatened Trevor and our youth activists declaring, "There are two options. Disassemble and leave. Or y'all are going to jail."

"You don't have free speech," the sergeant told Trevor.

Fortunately, our youth activists video taped the entire confrontation and stayed up all night to produce this video footage.

Be prepared to be shocked, appalled, and a little angry at the actions of our public servants who swore to uphold the U.S. Constitution.

After you watch this video, please do me a favor. Click here and donate generously to support these youth activists and advance their continuous efforts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNoBLa7lhXY

It is important to me to get this video in your hands immediately. I’ll send a full update on the first-ever YAL National Convention later this week.

Let me say, this weekend has impacted these students in a very large way.

For liberty,

Jeff Frazee
Executive Director, YAL
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Was he wrong? I mean, do you really think you have "free speech" in this country?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to hell.

Sir.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
It came in an Email. Yep, it's beleivable.

Just googled them.  They're "Ron Paul endorsed".  
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Ok he said it.... Then what?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

About as believable as you passing English class.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohhh personal attacks, you'll get far here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's expected from people who beleive random political emails.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#8]
IBTL

I can see it coming
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ok he said it.... Then what?

He has no right to speak that way. No free speech, and all.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#10]
You don't have free speech.  Never have in the USA.  

Silly people tend to think you do, but try yelling "Fire!" in a theater and see how many new lawyer friends you make.

No society has free speech  ––-true anarchy meets Darwin eventually––- just freedom from censure under certain circumstances.  

If these kids put out a newspaper and handed out for free, then the SWAT burned down their offices, I'd be pissed.  Assembling without a permit in a bureaucracy and being told to go home isn't bad.  Especially since doing so in other countries gets you disappeared.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Silly people tend to think you do, but try yelling "Fire!" in a theater and see how many new lawyer friends you make.

No society has free speech  ––-true anarchy meets Darwin eventually––- just freedom from censure under certain circumstances.  

If these kids put out a newspaper and handed out for free, then the SWAT burned down their offices, I'd be pissed.  Assembling without a permit in a bureaucracy and being told to go home isn't bad.  Especially since doing so in other countries gets you disappeared.  

"assembling without a permit"?

Are you serious?

Good lord, i didn't realize that those men at Concord and Lexington applied for and obtained a permit, before standing up to the nice British gentlemen in red.

They sure were a law-abiding bunch, weren't they?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#12]
They should have staid.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#13]
If the DC area let everyone protest unrestricted it would be a complete mess.  I have to say I'm not sure I have a problem with this.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#14]
hmmm....  according to 36 cfr 7.96, they don't necessarily need a permit, depending on the size or location of the demonstration.

(2) Permit requirements. Demonstrations and special events may be
held only pursuant to a permit issued in accordance with the provisions
of this section except:
   (i) Demonstrations involving 25 persons or fewer may be held without
a permit provided that the other conditions required for the issuance of
a permit are met and provided further that the group is not merely an
extension of another group already availing itself of the 25-person
maximum under this provision or will not unreasonably interfere with
other demonstrations or special events.
   (ii) Demonstrations may be held in the following park areas without
a permit provided that the conduct of such demonstrations is reasonably
consistent with the protection and use of the indicated park area and
the other requirements of this section. The numerical limitations listed
below are applicable only for demonstrations conducted without a permit
in such areas. Larger demonstrations may take place in these areas
pursuant to a permit.
   (A) Franklin Park. Thirteenth Street, between I and K Streets NW.,
for no more than 500 persons.
   (B) McPherson Square. Fifteenth Street, between I and K Streets NW.,
for no more than 500 persons.
   (C) U.S. Reservation No. 31. West of 18th Street and south of H
Street NW., for no more than 100 persons.
   (D) Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway. West of 23rd Street, south of P
Street NW., for no more than 1,000 persons.
   (E) U.S. Reservation No. 46. North side of Pennsylvania Avenue, west
of Eighth Street and south of D Street, SE., for no more than 25 persons
and south of D Street SE., for no more than 25 persons.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They should have staid.

WTF is "Staid"? It can't possibly be what I think it is, can it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Take the "ticket or whatever."

Hire a lawyer.............to fight this all the way to the Supreme Court.

Have fun.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you serious?

Good lord, i didn't realize that those men at Concord and Lexington applied for and obtained a permit, before standing up to the nice British gentlemen in red.

That's great, lets live in complete anarchy. You know I think hippy protesters should be able to stage protest marches in the middle of New York City, stopping traffic. I think I should be able to yell bomb on a airplane. I want Islamic terrorists to have gigantic parades to ground zero. Fuck Rules, fuck the safety of others. We don't need any kind of permit
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you serious?

Åhh, the "Founding Father's did it so I'm right argument"  Touche.  By that logic slavery and duels are perfectly legal.  

Use your head.  What they were doing is NOT PROTECTED BY THOSE FOUNDING FATHERS!!!!  Sheesh.  

And yes, I'm serious.  What the Founding Father's did was illegal by today's standards.  Are you honestly comparing those kids to the founding fathers?  Not to mention the FF knew when to cut their losses and fight another day.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#19]

I like how they didn't think they needed a permit to protest on Park property.....That their 1st Amendment right somehow allows them to gather anywhere for any purpose. (Apparently they never talked to the American nazis who wanted to march in Skokie years ago)

I always thought that my 2nd Amendment right meant that I didn't need a Firearms Owners Identification Card...But the State of Illinois seems to think I do......Funny thing.

Edit: maybe these guys should have used Google: http://www.ehow.com/how_2075225_get-permit-protest.html
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I like how they didn't think they needed a permit to protest on Park property.....That their 1st Amendment right somehow allows them to gather anywhere for any purpose. (Apparently they never talked to the American nazis who wanted to march in Skokie years ago)

I always thought that my 2nd Amendment right meant that I didn't need a Firearms Owners Identification Card...But the State of Illinois seems to think I do......Funny thing.

Edit: maybe these guys should have used Google: http://www.ehow.com/how_2075225_get-permit-protest.html

No, the truth is this the the Right version of what the left does most likely.  The start a protest just to get it shut down when they can't get enough people to march and attend.  Get it shut down, cause some internet outrage and hopefully make the national news, and when you hold the event a few months later you actually do have some of the masses around you.

I am against National Health care but...

The Left does it to drum up the mouth breathers.

The Right is doing it to drum up the mouth breathers.  

The rest of use know where we stand.  It's just not that healthy to be swayed so easily.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#21]
200 groups of 24 people.... assembling every 30 meters around the whole Mall.... each group represents a slightly different message. THIS is why having lots of itty bitty groups makes a lot more sense than one big one.

It's also why guerrilla marketing (t-shirt messages, buttons, bumper stickers, casual conversation..)..works much better than a bunch of teens standing about with signs.

People just ignore groups with signs - for the most part. What you want to do is make converts and that's not happening if most people walk around you.

So it's far, far more effective to spread out, de-centralize, and sure, let the Man make the rules - they're harmless as far as it goes. If you want a big gathering get a 'big gathering permit'. But in the meanwhile, get as many kids, spreading the message in as multifaceted a way as possible.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#22]
"..sir the rebels are here!"
"really? well what do they want?"
"I don't know, but they've brought a flag with them..."

"damn that was dash cunning of them!"
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You are wrong. Obviously by calling us "Silly people" you look down on people who have a different view. You are acting in the typical Statist way. Now I do agree if the people who are demonstrating are doing things like taking other peoples rights away but walking on a sidewalk speaking your mind and not blocking traffic or causing a stampede where people get killed is not illegal. We do have a Constitution and the first amendment states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#24]
That was a "Bearcat"....special armored vehicle for law enforcement....my department has one.  I thought the officer did pretty good keeping his cool with the kids.....got to get a permit to demonstrate etc. in most cities.  If the kids had a permit then there would not be any problem.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That was a "Bearcat"....special armored vehicle for law enforcement....my department has one.  I thought the officer did pretty good keeping his cool with the kids.....got to get a permit to demonstrate etc. in most cities.  If the kids had a permit then there would not be any problem.

I wonder when permits won't be enough? Or, when the ones with the money in the state don't agree with what you are talking about decide to give you that permit a couple days late. It is all joke folks. We are owned even the ones who think they are upholding the law. The law of whom should be the question. It really is simple if you follow the founding documents. Why do people think Progressivism will lead them somewhere else then where Hitler led a nation?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#26]

you know what?  they can take they're permits and shove em' up they're collective asses.

if your not impeading on anyone else's rights (blocking traffic,blocking sidewalks, etc) then you should have every right to be there.

if your an american and pay your fucking taxes that should be all that is needed to protest whenever and wherever you want.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you serious?

This.  Where the fuck does it say we need a permit to peaceably assemble in the constitution?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

you know what?  they can take they're permits and shove em' up they're collective asses.

if your not impeading on anyone else's rights (blocking traffic,blocking sidewalks, etc) then you should have every right to be there.

if your an american and pay your fucking taxes that should be all that is needed to protest whenever and wherever you want.

It is sad that some LE types don't realize the only reason their job exist is because people like us do want them to do their job and that we pay their salaries. Now only if the collectivist screw jobs legislatures just stuck with opening an e-bay store instead of running for government trying to bring misery upon the people through their silver tongued lawyers. No offense to e-bay store owners.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should have staid.

WTF is "Staid"?
It can't possibly be what I think it is, can it?

1. of settled or sedate character; not flighty or capricious.

2. fixed, settled, or permanent.

So they should have settled down right where they were, refusing to take flight.

It works, kinda'.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Permits = A Free Speech Tax.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Where have we seen this before? NFA.  Maybe the quote for the devil should be "The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the USA that taxes didn't exist."
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#32]
That kids was being a smart ass the whole time.

Cops just inforce anything they're told to,don't talk to them just go over their heads.
These guys need to spend their time fighting this "permits" BS.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#33]
SWAT fella is a dick for saying "Actually, it's Sergeant Dillon".  How the fuck is the kid supposed to know?  They're all "officer" to me.  

If they had more than the 25, fuck 'em.  They should have checked before putting so many people out there.

Sure, I think they should be able to protest, but don't be a dick about it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

That kids was being a smart ass the whole time.

Cops just inforce anything they're told to,don't talk to them just go over their heads.

These guys need to spend their time fighting this "permits" BS.

Yeah...he was looking for trouble.  I don't look for trouble when SWAT and APC's are involved.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Opening ones mouth in the presence of a Police Officer who is conducting an "investigation" is about as dumb as dumb can get.

There is more to the story I am sure.

If your band of merry men was inciting the public to the point of a potential riot, the cops were in their right to tell you to go away.

I am not saying I agree with this, I think this country needs to be galvanized on some issues to the point of civil disobedience, I am just saying they have the right to tell you to go away and you have your right to stand your ground and face arrest,,,or worse.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#36]
You DO have the right to free speech in this country. As long as your protesting the views of the left. Otherwise you are an extremist and are required to pull a permit. It always seems you have to ask permission to exercise your God given, Constitutionally protected rights. Registered firearms, Permits to carry, Permits to protest. Permit? So you have to get permission to question authority?
The way I take it, You the entire constitution is treated as  a formal written request for permission rather than a shield to protect us. Welcome to the "changed" America comrades.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You DO have the right to free speech in this country. As long as your protesting the views of the left. Otherwise you are an extremist and are required to pull a permit. It always seems you have to ask permission to exercise your God given, Constitutionally protected rights. Registered firearms, Permits to carry, Permits to protest. Permit? So you have to get permission to question authority?
The way I take it, You the entire constitution is treated as  a formal written request for permission rather than a shield to protect us. Welcome to the "changed" America comrades.

Bingo! Sad days are coming for everyone.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's a question....if it had been a protest about "YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT JEEEEEEEZUS INTO YOUR LIFE!", you think they'd have been bothered as much?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Who knows what is off limits these days. That is what is wrong with a corrupt system. A corrupt system will find a way to throw you in jail if they don't like you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where have we seen this before? NFA.  Maybe the quote for the devil should be "The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the USA that taxes didn't exist."

Unlike the NFA, time, manner, and place restrictions on free speech are closely monitored by the courts.  Fees have to be limited and cannot be arbitrarily applied.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unlike the NFA, time, manner, and place restrictions on free speech are closely monitored by the courts.  Fees have to be limited and cannot be arbitrarily applied.

Time doesn't matter with NFA? Or manner or place?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The legal doctrine governing licenses for protests is known as time, manner, and place restrictions.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The legal doctrine governing licenses for protests is known as time, manner, and place restrictions.

The first amendment states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." A license restricts freedom of speech.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The first amendment states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." A license restricts freedom of speech.

Like all rights it has reasonable restrictions.  Governments can regulate the time, manner, and place of protests so long as they don't do so with the intent to squash a particular viewpoint.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#45]
The general rule is that so long as you're on a PUBLIC sidewalk and NOT blocking people's ability to walk by, you're GTG.  It's hard to tell where they were.  I also know that the Supreme Court steps are specifically OFF LIMITS for protest or public speeches. (But of course, the steps of the supreme court are not the public sidewalk).  It can get weird when it comes to parks / semi-public areas and permitting may be required - this MAY have been what happened with these particular protesters.

They should have politely asked to talk to the cop's commander / lieutenant / etc. for clarification.

Then they should have gotten arrested and sued the shit out of the city.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like all rights it has reasonable restrictions.  Governments can regulate the time, manner, and place of protests so long as they don't do so with the intent to squash a particular viewpoint.

Reasonable restrictions are for Communists for there is no way to define reasonable. I think you don't understand the power the groups like ACORN and the people like George Soros have. Or, like I said your permit will show up the day after the protest.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reasonable restrictions are for Communists for there is no way to define reasonable. I think you don't understand the power the groups like ACORN and the people like George Soros have. Or, like I said your permit will show up the day after the protest.

That's happened and the courts raped the government for it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's happened and the courts raped the government for it.

So you understand that we are a communist nation?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's expected from people who beleive random political emails.

Believe?  It's on video... what is not to believe?  Are you serious?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So you understand that we are a communist nation?

Obviously.  

Step 1: Licenses for protests.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Communism.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top