Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2009 4:29:21 PM EDT
anyone have a nice, simple CAD program that they have used and is available for free download or trial.

I just need to draw up a quick 2d view of a deck i am building for the local inspector to approve, and i really dont feel like diggin out my old portable drafting board.

thanks for any help!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#1]
google 'alibre'

It works and it's free. You can export your finished drawings as .pdf or print them out.

BSW
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#2]
tag

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#3]
http://sketchup.google.com/product/newin7.html
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
google 'alibre'

It works and it's free. You can export your finished drawings as .pdf or print them out.

BSW

Thanks for the suggestion, but Alibre site is having issues. I entered all my info and tried to verify user anme and it locked up and will not go forward or back.  

Any others you have used or like?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#5]
try PowerSHAPE-e from ww.delcam.com its a free download that you can print from
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Google Sketch up as suggested before me- I'm a drafting student and three of my classmates used this for projects. It's user friendly and you can get the hang of it quick-like.  ;)
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:44:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an older copy of DeltaCAD (free trial / $40).
I don't know if it is the easiest to use, but it is certainly on the simple end.
You can just play with it and figure out most stuff without looking at instructions at all. It's 2-D and vector-art (lines) only, which simplifies things a lot.
http://www.deltacad.com/
~
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:51:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:27:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://sketchup.google.com/product/newin7.html

Ding ding ding.   Excellent software and the Sketchup Pro will sync with AutoCad if I remember correctly.  Never had AutoCad to find out though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:43:34 AM EDT
[#10]
cough piratebay cough.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:10:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
cough piratebay cough.

'Here, install this executable that you got off the interweb from some random dude. Wat could possibly go wrong?'

Only if you fell off the turnip wagon yesterday.

BSW
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:51:14 AM EDT
[#12]
You can get a free 1 month trial to autocad. Just go to autodesk.com and look up autocad 2010. You can also take FueledByGuinness suggestion.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You can get a free 1 month trial to autocad. Just go to autodesk.com and look up autocad 2010.

This is the best solution.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Google Sketch up as suggested before me- I'm a drafting student and three of my classmates used this for projects. It's user friendly and you can get the hang of it quick-like.  ;)

Yep.  I used it to draw up a some plans for a desk.  Pretty easy to use and the price is right.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:29:10 AM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:52:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
cough piratebay cough.

'Here, install this executable that you got off the interweb from some random dude. Wat could possibly go wrong?'

BSW

It's easy if you know how to do it safely.

sorry you don't.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#17]
There were two or three CAD programs that came free with my Linux Debian distribution.......
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#18]
TAG
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:20:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
cough piratebay cough.

BSW

sorry you don't.

Last I checked, it's a CoC violation to suggest illegal activities. Yes, pirating software is currently an illegal activity. Just a heads up.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
cough piratebay cough.

BSW

sorry you don't.

Last I checked, it's a CoC violation to suggest illegal activities. Yes, pirating software is currently an illegal activity. Just a heads up.

I'm not suggesting it, I'm talking about it.

There is a large difference.

Direct your post towards the person who actually suggested it, perhaps?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
google 'alibre'

BSW

+100000000000000000000

Alibre is bad ass, even with the free version. Wish I'd bought the full version when it was only $200
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
cough piratebay cough.

BSW

*cough*some of us may have gotten the latest mastercam that way*cough*and it works fine...........no viruses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top