Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2009 4:23:57 PM EDT
I used to play USAF but it doesn't work on XP. Are there any new sims similar to USAF?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I still run Janes f-15 every now and then also janes wwII fighters they're old but still fun.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Falcon 4 with a thrid-party addon (Freefalcon, openfalcon, etc.)
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Totally second this choice.

I also recommend you have a full flight simulation cockpit with real MFDs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 on falcon 4.0 allied force. Its pretty cool but I havent used any addons like open falcon etc...
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Falcon 4.0 AF FTW
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally second this choice.

I also recommend you have a full flight simulation cockpit with real MFDs.

Those are a little expensive, right?

But what I wouldn't give to have fully functional MFDs...
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#7]
They need a damn game based on MiG Ally in Korea.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for Falcon 4 with Free Falcon.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I really miss Tornado.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Any specific place I can get it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any specific place I can get it?

http://freefalcon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14530

eta:  I'm pretty sure it works without the original game installed, I haven't kept up with its development

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sabre Ace or MiG Alley both covered that.  You'll probably need to fight with drivers and compatibility, though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Falcon Allied Force is what I run.  Nothing against Free Falcon, though.

Online software retailers are good places to get them from.  A well-stocked computer software store should have Allied Force on the shelves.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sabre Ace or MiG Alley both covered that.  You'll probably need to fight with drivers and compatibility, though.

Old ass games. We need something new and realistic!

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What we need is a patch for USAF that makes it work on XP!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I own that game! I played it for like maybe 2 days, and quit cause it was too damn hard trying to hook up for air refueling.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Also might want to look at Lock On with the Flaming Cliffs expansion.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I own that game! I played it for like maybe 2 days, and quit cause it was too damn hard trying to hook up for air refueling.

Yeah, that pissed me off too. But other than that, I loved that game.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#19]
IL2 Sturmovik

Edit....Damn, I can't read. I just saw what you asked for.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#20]
It's kind of sad that combat flight sims are dead as a genre.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#21]
IL-2 Sturmovik  1946  is pretty cool.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I've always wanted a good A-10 game. Jane's had one in development a few years back, but cancelled it.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5013/sairpm8.png

WOOOOOOOO!!!

It's my second favorite WWII warbird!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Funny you mention this now.

I was messing around on the xbox 360 and saw a demo for sturmovik THAT IS OUT RIGHT NOW.  The full game will be released later this year.  It's not bad, but I usually suck at playing the games.  I may pick it up depending on how good I get at the demo.

Check out this trailer:

Sturmovik comming out in September
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5013/sairpm8.png

WOOOOOOOO!!!

It's my second favorite WWII warbird!

I bet they have your most favorite too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Id say you have to go on line to get good flight time-aceshigh is brutal sim-sometimes 1k people on line in 3-4 arenas-also historical missions with 100 on each side playing
http://www2.hitechcreations.com/frindex.html
here are some screenies from the game-check it out-learning curve is huge thou but at least there are no cheaters
game been around about 18 years or so and it gets better all the time
you can get movies to check out on the site

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've always wanted a good A-10 game. Jane's had one in development a few years back, but cancelled it.

Theres one comin'

It will be part of the Digital Combat Simulation series or DCS.  From the same people that made LOCK ON.  They feature clickable cockpits kind of like Falcon 4.0 AF.  I have DCS:Blackshark and it is more involved then the multi-platform LOMAC sim.  Each of the DCS entries will be dedicated to a single Aircraft and feature a dynamic campaign that LOMAC did'nt have.  There will also be a DCS:Apache with the AH-64a.

The only thing i dont like about the DCS sims is that they require internet activation and use STARForce (STARFarce)  You get 8 activations.  If you uninstall you dont have to reactivate atleast, but you would if you move it to a different PC.  Hopefully a future patch will get rid of that crap.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Theres one comin'

It will be part of the Digital Combat Simulation series or DCS.  From the same people that made LOCK ON.  They feature clickable cockpits kind of like Falcon 4.0 AF.  I have DCS:Blackshark and it is more involved then the multi-platform LOMAC sim.  Each of the DCS entries will be dedicated to a single Aircraft and feature a dynamic campaign that LOMAC did'nt have.  There will also be a DCS:Apache with the AH-64a.

The only thing i dont like about the DCS sims is that they require internet activation and use STARForce (STARFarce)  You get 8 activations.  If you uninstall you dont have to reactivate atleast, but you would if you move it to a different PC.  Hopefully a future patch will get rid of that crap.

Where is the best place to get this?  I've been wanting this for a long time.  And perhaps one more dumb question.. can you explain what MFD is?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Sturmovik is a 8 year old game that still gets updated regularly and has thousands of players online.

The best WWII flight sim EVER, hands down. Lots of support, online squadrons, and constantly updated by players.

IL-2 ftmfw, all others are crap.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

It's kind of sad that combat flight sims are dead as a genre.

Agreed. I think that back in the day, PC gaming was mainly for people who weren't afraid to tackle a game with a high learning curve, and that required lots of expensive equipment (flight sticks, throttles, rudder pedals). The continuing popularity of first-person shooters, where all you need is a mouse & about 30 seconds of instruction, pretty well killed off the incentive for game companies to spend their resources on developing high-end flight sims.

IL2-Sturmovik 1946 FTW, by the way. Jets and missiles are cool, but nothing compares to zooming down on a Bf-109 and shredding it with eight .50-cal machine guns.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Bill et John in Lock On: Flaming Cliffs

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#32]
IL2 and its many updates is an excellent game.

Keep an eye out for its upcoming successor, Storm of War, which should have 2 sub-titles: Battle of Britain and one about the Korean War. Speculation at the moment is that eventually they'll link up and the overall timespan of the game will be 1930s-1960s or so.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#33]
When was the last time there was an update for Storm of War?
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 12:06:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bill et John in Lock On: Flaming Cliffs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvOfZSn6qAk

"Bill, shut up."

"It's....just....temporary....."
"Lets see, slowly give it gas.......and let off brakes.  Erm, wrong switch."  

Link Posted: 8/5/2009 12:07:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
When was the last time there was an update for Storm of War?

Oleg and his crew at UBI have been teasing us with screenshots for about two years now, if not longer. When and IF this thing gets released, it's either gonna be absolutely badass, or a complete let down.

For now, IL-2 is still the game to beat. Nothing comes close.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top