Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2009 3:32:14 PM EDT
topic says it all
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Its just like the mag being full or the hammer back.

Springs get weak from use.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would you want to do that? If nothing else, just put a chamber flag in it. Minimal stress on the spring

ETA perhaps you inherited/bought a pistol that was stored in such a manner, and are contemplating if you should get new springs?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

thats what I figured just wanted to double check
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]
springs get weak from compression and decompression-lots of it. storing it in slidelock is fine
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think there is any adverse impact on the springs if they are mil spec.  The only thing I have ever heard on this topic was a few years ago a lady was clearing out the attic and found a loaded .45 mag from WWII.  For some 50 years the mag spring was compressed.  The mag fed and otherwise functioned fine.

This is not to say that it is a good practice, but I don't think there is any hard evidence out there that long term mil spec spring compression is no-go.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#7]
It's certainly not the worst thing you can do for a handgun, but ... why?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Use being repeated compression and decompression.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Spring would not be an issue however what holds it in the locked position can take to bending or changing shape.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I do it routinely at work to identify the uncleaned guns. I may be the Armory Sup. but I aint cleanin the damn guns someone else dirtied up! To answer your question, it hasn't hurt any of them. All Beretta M9's
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Why do you want to do this?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the reason you leave the action open on any gun is to be absolutely positively sure its safe.  Sure a chamber flag is better, but if you don't have one, leave those actions OPEN after a day of shooting until you can clean them.

I got into this practice years ago after starting to clean a Browning .22 pistol.  As always, I cycle and visually inspect the chamber before cleaning...and a round popped out.  Damn, and I am really anal about gun safety (ex-USMC).

After this, when I'm done shooting at the range, I case the guns with the actions open.  They will sometimes stay like this for a month and I've never had a problem.  Worst case...you can always replace a $10 spring (although I've never had to)...you can't replace a life.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think the reason you leave the action open on any gun is to be absolutely positively sure its safe.  .

this

I was planning on keeping all my handguns in the safe on the top shelf locked open just for extra you can never be to sure.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:32:57 AM EDT
[#14]

You can't be too safe.  You might want to look into some chamber flags...they are really cheap.  Until them leave 'em open.  Everything has to take a back seat to safety.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:37:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
springs get weak from compression and decompression-lots of it. storing it in slidelock is fine

This claim is being challenged more and more each day.  I found a link one day here to some people who did a 5 year study on magazine springs.  Though the magazines still worked flawlessly, the spring tension WAS ACTUALLY WEAKENED.

If I can find it, I'll make a new thread about it...
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the reason you leave the action open on any gun is to be absolutely positively sure its safe.  .

this

I was planning on keeping all my handguns in the safe on the top shelf locked open just for extra you can never be to sure.
just buy some chamber flags

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top