Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2009 3:21:08 PM EDT
Well, do ya?

As I remember, the PKUNZIP guy got sued, lost, won the "PR" war and released his "upgrade" which won the market by hearts and minds.

Remember knowing the difference between "shrinking" and "imploding" something?   Remember always making sure that PKUNZIP.EXE was somewhere in your "PATH"

Remember programming DOS "batch" file menu items?  

I admit sometimes I miss good old fashioned DOS.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

It got me out of trouble more than once!

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Well, do ya?

As I remember, the PKUNZIP guy got sued, lost, won the "PR" war and released his "upgrade" which won the market by hearts and minds.

Remember knowing the difference between "shrinking" and "imploding" something?   Remember always making sure that PKUNZIP.EXE was somewhere in your "PATH"

Yes I remember. SEA was in the right IMO, but the Internet masses sided with PK.

PKARC -> PKPAK - > PKZIP.

Phil Katz   died year ago (Karma sucks for thieves), don't know what status is of  Henderson (SEA).

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I still have a copy of pkzip on floppy somewhere.

I miss DOS too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Why in the hell would anyone miss DOS?

F MS-DOS in the A.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#5]
First got involved back in the days of CPM. A long, long time ago, in a galaxy.....

I used, KSRs; Keyboard Send and Receive, before the green and then amber 12" CRT displays.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]
i remember the autoexec.bat file well
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I remember.  Glad we moved on!

7-zip FTW.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#8]
And let's not forget the command.com extensions provided by Norton's NDOS and by 4DOS.  I did a bunch of macros with those, known as "alias" commands, that replaced or extended or combined a variety of DOS commands and external programs.  I barely scratched the surface of the capabilities those DOS shell extensions provided.

Just for grins a few years ago I installed DOS 6.2, 4DOS, and Windows For Workgroups 3.11 on an old 500 MHz box lying around.  Those programs never ran that fast before!  It's hilarious getting on the web with Netscape 3 or Internet Explorer 4 and see them try to interpret the web page scripts of today.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
First got involved back in the days of CPM. A long, long time ago, in a galaxy.....

I used, KSRs; Keyboard Send and Receive, before the green and then amber 12" CRT displays.

PIP B: = A:*.*  instead of COPY A:. B:

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Nah...didn't like using PC/MS-DOS, preferred Kickstart/Workbench.

Oh, and ProDOS8/16 of course.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, do ya?

Yes I remember. SEA was in the right IMO, but the Internet masses sided with PK.

PKARC -> PKPAK - > PKZIP.

Phil Katz   died year ago (Karma sucks for thieves), don't know what status is of  Henderson (SEA).

Phil died some time ago.  Old timers will recognize this:

"If you fail to abide by the terms of this license, then your
conscience will haunt you for the rest of your life."

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Well, do ya?

I do.  Remember Desqview?  I remember that I had a pill bottle and a liquor bottle all marked with the Desqview logo.  God what a horrendous PITA that was.  But until the Amiga came out it was the only affordable way to run a multi line BBS off a single computer.

I miss the early days of the Amiga, that was a lot of fun.  But I don't miss DOS programming, or DOS programs, one bit.  But I do miss Trade Wars, one of the best online multiplayer games ever created.  If it hadn't been for Trade Wars I would have dumped my DOS based BBS and Desqview in the lake before the Amiga ever hit the shelves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top