Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2009 12:02:33 PM EDT
Mid-90s Buick LeSabre.  I unlocked the trunk earlier today and they key stuck in the sideways or horizontal position (vertical is the position to remove the key from the lock).  I cannot get the key out of the lock.  The trunk is open (unlocked) and will not latch shut or lock now.  I called AAA and they stopped by, tried to pull out the key, and informed me they only fix them if they are ignition keys (mine is a door/trunk key).  Can I fix it myself?  Auto parts stores will only be open another 60 minutes around here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to sound stupid, but maybe massive amounts of WD-40 or something will loosen it up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Get some lubricant (even CLP will work) and squirt it into the lock mechanism, from the key side, and from the inside if possible.

Push the key in towards the cylinder, and then try to jiggle it and get it to turn.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]
professional locksmith
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#4]
How soon do you need the hooker out?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on push/pull while jiggling
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No, it's not that the dead hooker is locked in. It's that he can't lock it, so he can't put the body in and drive off with it or it will fall out the back.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Lube.  Flat bladed screwdriver to turn if you can.  

Grind down back (non teeth side) of old hacksaw blade to make broken key extractor. Teeth should angle back to drag key out.

Hemostats or dental picks may work too if you can get a grip.

Lube the heck out of lock when done.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#8]
can you get to the back side of the lock cylinder? usually there is a push clip holding the cylinder to the sheet metal and a simple wire rod that actates the mechanisim. you shoukd be able to undo the clip and pull the rod off the lock cylinder then you can close the trunk and re-open it manually by working the mechanisim  by hand. Then you can work the problem out with the cylinder off the car or take it to a locksmith to figure out OR go to a junkyard and buy a similar GM lock cylinder and key etc
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#9]
On a hunch, I thought this thread title might be some sort of secret code, so I whipped out the old Internet Anagram Server

The first response made me gasp:

Knuckles Uncork Kitty

it got worse:

Click Nuke Knotty Rusk

Icky Elk Skunk Cunt Rot

and finally,

Yuk, Cock Tinkles Trunk
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it's not that the dead hooker is locked in. It's that he can't lock it, so he can't put the body in and drive off with it or it will fall out the back.

Yeah.  Its pretty embarrassing when that happens.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Update!  Applying Vice-grips to the key I pulled the key put of the lock.  But the lock is still in the "non-operating" position of 3 o'clock instead of 6 o'clock.  Right now the lock is soaking in Kroil.  Best penetrating oil and lube there is.  

On this car the key cylinder is well-protected by metal and buried.  Probably need a special tool to unscrew the cylinder and/or drill out a rivet under the lock and get to it through a tiny access panel.  

Worst case it goes to the shop in the morning and they put a new cylinder in for me.  

I may give the flat-bladed screwdriver a shot to turn the cylinder back to 6 o'clock.

ETA: I am honored that you all think I would have a dead hooker to transport, but unfortunately my life is too boring to deal with live or dead hookers.  And it's my wife's car anyway, and I will not be getting pie or a threesome if I fix it today.

ETA: Gave up for the night.  Suspect I need a new cylinder, and I won't have time during the week to attempt a do-it-yourself job.  For now the trunk is duct-taped shut, ghetto-style.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't use lube on a lock.

Use graphite.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:11:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Final resolution: at the shop.  It needs a new lock cylinder.  Total cost: a little over $100.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top