Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2009 11:17:03 AM EDT
Came across a guy selling one of these in a local paper for around $400. Anyone have any idea of what one of these fetches nowadays? I'm sure it's more than the asking price.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The Thunder Five was not a Colt product.  It fired .45 Colt and .410 shotshells.
ETA:
A quick search makes me think they weren't very well thought of.  I do remember one being used in the movie Three Kings.
I found a few closed listings for around $400-550.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#2]
My roommate owned one of these in the early 1990's.  We shot it both with 45 and .410 shells.  We spent more time showing it to people than we did ever using it.  

At anything but the closest ranges, it is fairly useless with both kinds of ammo.  45 will keyhole, .410 will pattern like crap.  If you are lucky 00 might penetrate something.

It is clunky, inaccurate, and the trigger is poor.  Build quality is actually somewhat decent and it is not made out of pot metal.  I view this as nothing more than a conversation piece.  If you want something odd to fill out your collection, go for it.  If you are looking for a shooter I would forget it unless you are trying to fulfill some very specific need (maybe a snake gun or something, I dunno).

I do not remember the story with the company that was making these.  I seem to recall they ran afoul of some state or federal laws, or the gun was banned in some states or some nonsense.   Maybe someone else in here will be able to fill in the details.

I just laughed when I started seeing ads for the Taurus Judge a few years back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top