Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/2/2009 4:09:32 AM EDT
Or are there laws governing this?

If some kid hits a baseball into your yard does it become yours?

What if someone crashes their car onto your property?

What if an airplane, drone, or satellite crashes there?

Just curious, I was thinking about this the other day.

<MAX>
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:14:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:17:40 AM EDT
[#2]
No.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you drunk?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:26:00 AM EDT
[#4]
possession is 9/10 of the law
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:37:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Be careful of claiming the car or airplane. They may be carrying drugs.

"Honestly officer, I didn't know that this car had drugs in it!"
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:37:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Are you drunk?

It's been a long day.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:06:59 AM EDT
[#7]
My grandpa did this when he got cranky with his old age.  His backyard bordered a golf course, and he would spend the day stealing golf balls that ended up in his yard
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:16:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
possession is 9/10 of the law

Yeah but that other 10% is the part that means they win.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:35:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My grandpa did this when he got cranky with his old age.  His backyard bordered a golf course, and he would spend the day stealing golf balls that ended up in his yard

Sell them back!

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:45:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I control the airspace over my property also!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:46:59 AM EDT
[#11]

the commie Woody Guthrie
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:47:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Um, I pretty much believe that my things are mine, and other people's things are not.  Keeps things simple that way...

Easy enough for me where I live- the only thing that enters my yard are my neighbor's dogs when I call them over to play
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:49:09 AM EDT
[#13]
If it was legal a guy down the road from me would own his own F-117 because one crashed into his house.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9712/12/briefs/stealth.fighter.crash/
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:51:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If it was legal a guy down the road from me would own his own F-117 because one crashed into his house.

So he didn't get to keep it?

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:10:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

.Gov paid him enough to build a house that was way nicer than the existing one so I guess he didn't mind.  Besides, the plane was dinged up a bit....and on fire.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I keep most of the baseballs and footballs that end up in the backyard. I have a privacy fence that is locked from the inside so nobody can just walk in and retrieve thier stuff.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:17:50 AM EDT
[#17]
If a meteorite lands on your property it belongs to you.  Some meteorites are worth their weight in gold or more.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I control the airspace over my property also!

Only to the top of your largest structure.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:26:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Let's say space aliens land in your yard...
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:29:38 AM EDT
[#20]
What about the dog down the road that likes to run around in my garden, is it my dog? It's property like a baseball and it's in my yard, is it mine?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:41:08 AM EDT
[#21]
What about when I get a delivery from her? Since she's in my yard, does she become mine?

No BOTD content in GD, please. ~ JW777

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#22]
IBTL
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

What about when I get a delivery from her? Since she's in my yard, does she become mine?

My delivery person doesn't look anywhere near that good. You must be ordering stuff all the time!

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Ask some of those backwoods rednecks in the piney woods of Texas, after Columbia exploded. Quite a few of them thought that the pieces of the shuttle that landed on their land were now their property, and they refused to turn it over.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:00:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Ask all of those people who had parts of the Space Shuttle land on their property who things belong to.

Pay particular attention to the folks who tried to keep parts.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:01:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ask some of those backwoods rednecks in the piney woods of Texas, after Columbia exploded. Quite a few of them thought that the pieces of the shuttle that landed on their land were now their property, and they refused to turn it over.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:12:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

.Gov paid him enough to build a house that was way nicer than the existing one so I guess he didn't mind. Besides, the plane was dinged up a bit....and on fire.
that is funny,

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Yep... dog shit included.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Your yard isn't even yours.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:37:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I was working in one of my fathers fields as a kid, when a large Air Force plane flew over spewing parts off one of it's engines!! Too high up to see what was disintergrating, but the pieces I saw hit the ground consisted of some sort of small reduction gear/planetary gears. Cool looking chunks of aluminum, steel, and small, small gears. Big chunks landed further along the flight path I guess?

Anyhow, the Air Force wanted all the recovered chunks, and offered a reward for any bits and pieces turned in. My father just gave them the parts I recovered, and airmen searched the fields around looking for the rest. I got the impression that the Air force really considered the parts theirs, and just offered a reward hopeful to recover more important chunks that maybe had not been recovered yet.

No. Just because it ends up on your property, does not mean it's yours. A stolen car, for instance, found on your land, is not really your's is it?  

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#31]
You don't own shit.  quit paying your taxes and see what you own.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:39:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

only the dumb asses who ran their mouths about having some. SSS
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://www.freshpictures.net/data/media/1/SEXY_UPS_GIRL.jpg

Just her box.

I heard anything that gets delivered to your address/mailbox is legally yours to keep. I also heard if you discover a valuable substance such as gold or something underground on your land, you do not own it????
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#34]
A bunch of years ago, The City™ was making improvements to my street. The contractor was OK, from a technical basis, but the workers tended to think that they had free reign over the property adjoining the street work. One night I came home from work to find a 1,5-ton work truck in my driveway, blocking my garage. The crew parked it there while they were drinking beer at my next-door-neighbor's house. I told them that I was going intop my garage to get some tools. If the truck was still there, I was going to start taking parts off to sell on eBay. They laughed. I went in, fired up the air compressor, hooked up the impact wrench, and came out with my roller-cart of 3/4"-drive sockets. I had 3 of the 4 bolts off of a freakin' sweet 6" vise off the back bumper as they pulled away.

Later that evening, the foreman and I had a nice talk about what "10-foot construction easement" really means, and he and his crew had a nice talk about "getting drunk and then driving home in company trucks."
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:49:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#36]
IBTL (or edit)  
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just her box.

I heard anything that gets delivered to your address/mailbox is legally yours to keep. I also heard if you discover a valuable substance such as gold or something underground on your land, you do not own it????

Depends on the mineral rights.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#38]
What lands on your real property is a trespass to land.  Title to the object that trespassed still belongs to the trespasser.  I toss my neighbor's kids' balls back into their yard all the time.  It's called being a good neighbor.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:24:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

What lands on your real property is a trespass to land.  Title to the object that trespassed still belongs to the trespasser.  I toss my neighbor's kids' balls back into their yard all the time.  It's called being a good neighbor.

So would I!

I was just curious about the subject.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

A bunch of years ago, The City™ was making improvements to my street. The contractor was OK, from a technical basis, but the workers tended to think that they had free reign over the property adjoining the street work. One night I came home from work to find a 1,5-ton work truck in my driveway, blocking my garage. The crew parked it there while they were drinking beer at my next-door-neighbor's house. I told them that I was going intop my garage to get some tools. If the truck was still there, I was going to start taking parts off to sell on eBay. They laughed. I went in, fired up the air compressor, hooked up the impact wrench, and came out with my roller-cart of 3/4"-drive sockets. I had 3 of the 4 bolts off of a freakin' sweet 6" vise off the back bumper as they pulled away.

Later that evening, the foreman and I had a nice talk about what "10-foot construction easement" really means, and he and his crew had a nice talk about "getting drunk and then driving home in company trucks."

I bet I've never seen a city worker move that fast!

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I keep most of the baseballs and footballs that end up in the backyard. I have a privacy fence that is locked from the inside so nobody can just walk in and retrieve thier stuff.

You must have different neighbors than I do, if I'm not careful they would walk in and retreive my stuff.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must have different neighbors than I do, if I'm not careful they would walk in and retreive my stuff.

Solution..........

Dog.... BIG DOG.

Mine likes to wait until you enter the fence, then make his presence known.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Especially if someone's dog shits in your yard.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:15:04 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Solution..........

Dog.... BIG DOG.

Mine likes to wait until you enter the fence, then make his presence known.

LOL!  I had a big Lab that did the same thing.  He claimed MANY soccer balls which he ate.  The neighbor kids would kick the balls in our backyard and our dog would stand over them and wait for a kid to come over.  He tore up their clothes and restled them to the ground while they rolled in his shit.  Then he would proceed to chew off a few pieces of the ball and shhhshhhhshhhhhhhhh plop!   LOL!!

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#46]
When this F/A-18 crashed in Bethalto IL, a co-worker's parents' house was inside the debris field. Was not directly hit, but a few small pieces did land in their yard.

At least for military jets.....-not only do you "not own" plane parts that land in your yard––the gov peeples will kick you out for a day or two while they pick up all the pieces.
~
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
When this F/A-18 crashed in Bethalto IL, a co-worker's parents' house was inside the debris field. Was not directly hit, but a few small pieces did land in their yard.

At least for military jets.....-not only do you "not own" plane parts that land in your yard––the gov peeples will kick you out for a day or two while they pick up all the pieces.
~

There is a reason for kicking you out for a few days.  It's so that you don't mess with anything that could effect the crash investigation and to make sure there is not any  HAZMAT issues.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#48]

let me guess.

some kid hit his stepdad's babe ruth signed baseball into your yard and your giant dog got ahold of it.

i suggest you offer him your 1929 baseball signed by the entire ny yankees team if he agrees to visit you once a week to talk about baseball.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

let me guess.

some kid hit his stepdad's babe ruth signed baseball into your yard and your giant dog got ahold of it.

i suggest you offer him your 1929 baseball signed by the entire ny yankees team if he agrees to visit you once a week to talk about baseball.

Will be his luck that he is a Red Sox fan
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top